62 Mercury Comet Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 62 Mercury Comet Project

Great work man, what a creative and excellent solution to that problem.... it will certainly be strong and look factory, well done!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Andy - you have this one well in hand. But I'll pass along my Top Tip for great sheetmetal replacement panels - van roofs. They usually have rolled-in ribs pretty close to your stock trunk floor and there's LOTS of stock for whatever you want to do. Generally rust free to boot. Just a thought.

Dan

Comment

I'm 'Floored' ;D! Amazing Skills,Mr. VTJ 8). ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          Andy - you have this one well in hand. But I'll pass along my Top Tip for great sheetmetal replacement panels - van roofs. They usually have rolled-in ribs pretty close to your stock trunk floor and there's LOTS of stock for whatever you want to do. Generally rust free to boot. Just a thought.

Dan
          I thought of that but didn't have time to pull one off. I just wanted a tailgate and to get out of there and back to the shop. I have used door skins for floors, a roof off a Buick Century, what ever is handy. Had a car that said Eurosport on the floor pan when you looked underneath, lol

Comment

Finished welding the trunk patch in today. hammered and dollied the metal so it met and made the end of the ribs.

Welds ground and the panel sanded to accept a coat of primer.

Moved on to the hood. Stripped the paint top and bottom and found a nice little dent. It was pulled out by drilling some holes in the hood and then filling the holes with pop rivets. You would never know it was there by looking at it, but you could see the rivets under the hood when the insulation was removed. I have to fix it the right way.

Stripped the door down, started sanding that too. Figured why not, I was already covered in blue dust.

Comment

The front floors were not in very good shape once I pulled up the fiberglass mat and resin repair job that someone had done. You couldn't really tell they were that bad from the bottom of the car.

All the questionable areas removed. At least this car has good frame rails. I hate frame rail repairs.

I had to make some parts to join the repair panel to the firewall. Pans for a Falcon/Comet are $120 a side and they don't come with the toe board to firewall section. That would be another $60 per side.

Grind some welds, prime, seam sealer, and it's done. I also laid under the car and ground the welds smooth then primed the pans.

Finally almost done with this quarter. This one had the most dings and dents.

To break up the seemingly non-stop sanding, blocking and priming on the body I also started on the rearend. Pressure washed it, added new axle and pinion seals and turned the drums and rebuilding the brakes. It will be painted, factory paint marks added and then bagged until reassembly.

Pulled the leaf springs apart to inspect them and they are fine. Will clean up and be painted then assembled with new insulators.

Comment

That's one thing I've never done. Take apart a leaf spring. On purpose. Broke a couple before.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Nice work on the floors, I know exactly what you mean about taking a break from the sanding. I have more than an urge to build an engine or a transmission just to get greasy and oily instead of dusty. I did the engines first, before I started body work though. This thing is going to be sweet when its done.

Comment

The rearend is done, complete with new brakes, seals, lines and a new brake hose. Will be bagged until it's time to put it back in.

More nasty stuff that was found as the car was being stripped. A patch panel had been welded over the top of the hole here. That made it necessary to slather a ton of bondo over the mess to hide it. I cut it out and made a new piece to go back in.

After grinding the welds down, a minimal amount of filler was needed.

My three best friends lately ;D

Comment

What brand paints did you use on the rearend? Outstanding work & great skills......
                      That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
                        What brand paints did you use on the rearend? Outstanding work & great skills......
                        The red paint is Glyptal, and the rest is Eastwood's Chassis Black.

I'll have to update this thread with more pics, but I've been very busy. I think in the next week I'll have something very cool to share.

Comment

Nice work, the welds look great!
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

i have a steering wheel and horn ring. it is attached to the car though. trying to sell the car.

Comment

Working...
                            X