'37 REO tow pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '37 REO tow pig

I went over to my buddy Geoff's house cause there was an unusual amount of activity. Geoff is a part owner of the Mustang roadracing car that I have, and he and our buddy Scott own the Miata track whore.

For the longest time we've been talking about a new tow pig, both our wives tend to monopolize our big pickups for horse towing. A while back he had picked up a mileaged out '94 diesel ram commercial truck from his work. The body was shot but the Cummins turbo diesel had many miles left in it. Neither one of us was really all that excited about working on that truck. So its been sitting for 3 or 4 years.

Ever since I've know Geoff, he's had the front of what he thinks is a '37 Reo heavy commercial truck's sheet metal. Cab, hood, fenders and grille. About six months ago we spent an evening taking measurements and thought there was a reasonable chance that we could fit it on the '94 chassis.

So, I turn around after seeing the activity and can't believe what he's done:

He pulled all the sheet metal off the Ram and we went ahead and mocked up the REO. Looks like this is going to be fun!

Re: '37 REO tow pig

Very sick ideas! It's now a project car thread so we expect updates ;D Soon ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

There is a guy around here that did something very similiar to this. I saw it in the Home Depot parking lot. Looks like a customized early chassis with a big Dana under the rear. Cummins Turbo Diesel under the hood. I could see it because the hood sides weren't on. Set up as a dually with a custom made flat bed. Way to go Horsewidower!
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Looks like it could be a cool project, something you won't see yourself comming or going in
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Looks like it needs a headlamp alignment but pretty cool. Please keep us posted. And why aren't the guys members here??!!

Dan

Comment

sweeeeeet!
            cant loose with vintage body and modern turbo disel power!!!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              Looks like it needs a headlamp alignment but pretty cool. Please keep us posted. And why aren't the guys members here??!!

Dan
              I can lead them to water, I can't make'em drink.

Comment

These old truck cabs are nice and cozy on a long hot summer trip ;D

Still, will be a bitchin' tow mule when done. Is the Cum-apart a 12 or 24 valve? Trans?
                Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Ok .... this is going to be one cool project. More pics needed desperately!
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                    Ok .... this is going to be one cool project. More pics needed desperately!
                    x2. Uh huh. We want more. (OK, we are actually demanding, but it's a polite demanding.)
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'll get at it. Right now we are having an argument about method. Geoff thinks he can measure everything and get it right, I think that we should work on stance and the body fit and then decide where the engine and tranny goes.

Ultimately he gets to decide, but if he goes with the measure only route I want to make sure we just tack weld the new motor and tranny mounts in cause I'm sure we'll be changing them.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
                        I'll get at it. Right now we are having an argument about method. Geoff thinks he can measure everything and get it right, I think that we should work on stance and the body fit and then decide where the engine and tranny goes.

Ultimately he gets to decide, but if he goes with the measure only route I want to make sure we just tack weld the new motor and tranny mounts in cause I'm sure we'll be changing them.

I'm with you. While it's important to know and be able to measure, sometimes nothing beats the visual.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

This looks like it will be a sweet hauler. Looking forward to the updates.
                          Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Very cool project

Comment

Working...
                            X