"Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Engine is out, pressure washed, unloaded and the heads are off.

The only damage is on #8.

There are "screens" in the sheet metal intakes (just below the beer cans plugging the holes for pressure washing)
    - not very fine - but they are there to catch "chunks" I suppose - not small enough chunks that could have prevented all this! >

The other bank looks just fine - in fact - you can still make out cross hatch in the cylinders - after 190k. ;D

Here's the bad one - #8

And a close up showing the cylinder damage

Here's a good cylinder in comparison

Here's the cross hatch in one of the cylinders in the other bank

this shows the even head with the injector sleeves I just installed (which ironically come with the rebuild kit)

and here is the business side of the odd head - no issues here - hopefully the valve job will be routine

I hope to get the right bolts to make mounting the short block on my beefiest engine stand possible tomorrow.
    Then I can pull the short block apart.

The machine shop said to bring it in torn down completely.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

So John, do you regret buying this truck, or are you still happy with it even after all the BS it's put you through?
      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

This is going to sound weird, but what about overboring the one cylinder, sticking in 1 oversize piston, and putting the whole deal back together? I doubt that the slight difference in cylinder volume would have any real effect. I bet it would run forever.

Opinions - comments anyone? Tacky?

Sounds like you're already going down a more conventional path and that's probably better. I'm just sayin'....

Dan

Comment

Jeremy -
          That's a tough call - I probably could have gotten a truck that was in better condition for $5 - $8k more than I paid for this one, it would have saved me some trouble for sure. However - they were really hard to find in this configuration SRW crew cab long (don't want a dually) with a 7.3 4x4 that isn't an XL trim no option service truck beat to a pulp - even doing nationwide searches I'd only come up with a handful - they seemed to fall into two categories - retirement RV pulling machine cream puff ($$$) or - the afforementioned beat to a pulp fleet truck.

With all that said - I will have $13ish total into this truck with all these new parts, a freshly rebuilt engine, and it's not rusty.

Hopefully the rebuild will go smoothly - go together without too many headaches, and will run like a dream for another 200k or more after all this is over. Here's to hoping.

Dan -

That thought has crossed my mind - I think it's more of a balance issue than anything having one piston oversize- the other option is to sleeve that bore back down to standard size and buy one new standard size piston.

The price of the rebuild kits on these things are confounding, and in general - EXPENSIVE.
          I've shopped quite a bit and compared different scenarios.
          The rebuild kit I'm going with comes with pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets...... the whole shebang - even an oil cooler - for just over a grand.
          The best deal I've found on a "re - ring" kit - is $720 - and I'd still have to buy one piston at $125, and all of the sudden - doing all 8 starts to make sense.

I'm letting this one fall into the "do it once and do it right" category - with the hopes this truck will be part of the family for a long time.

Comment

On a side note (just trying to make lemonade out of lemons), you are getting first hand experience with a power stroke. Personally I like tearing into things I never have messed with before.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

wonder if yours will be running before I get the air out of the lines in mine >
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                oooooh -- priming a mechanical diesel... NO FUN - starter and cables and batteries and HEAT.... patience required.

I did a few line jobs on IDI 7.3 - need two people or a remote starter - crank while cracking lines loose waiting to get sprayed with fuel.... repeat.

That's one time an electric fuel pump sure would be nice.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  Originally posted by Buickguy
                  oooooh -- priming a mechanical diesel... NO FUN - starter and cables and batteries and HEAT.... patience required.

I did a few line jobs on IDI 7.3 - need two people or a remote starter - crank while cracking lines loose waiting to get sprayed with fuel.... repeat.

That's one time an electric fuel pump sure would be nice.

Good luck with it.

A little old school diesel trick the old man taught me, (this works best if the intake manifold has a metal screen over inlet, most all 7.3 IH & Ford mechanical have them) take a rag, soak it in gas, throw it on the intake inlet, and start her up. The engine with run on the gas vapor till all's primed. I've done this at least 50 time successfully.
                  Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                    This is going to sound weird, but what about overboring the one cylinder, sticking in 1 oversize piston, and putting the whole deal back together? I doubt that the slight difference in cylinder volume would have any real effect. I bet it would run forever.

Opinions - comments anyone? Tacky?

Sounds like you're already going down a more conventional path and that's probably better. I'm just sayin'....

Dan

Chevy use to do that with the Vega when they scored a wall. They would only authorize only the scored cylinder to be over bored. I saw a lot of them with 3 std. pistonsand one over sized
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

It seems like it would work as long as the piston was the same weight...
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

priming is easy.... silicone lubricant and ATF.... (silicone lub in small quantities will work like starting fluid, ATF in the filters).... works great, what doesn't work so great is if the timing line is wrong...... grrrrrr too-be-continued

Comment

She's dis-assembled and at the machine shop.

My afternoon in pictures:

someone borrowed my harmonic balancer puller a couple years ago and kept it, so I had to borrow one >
                          Oil pump is a gerotor type driven directly off the front end of the crank. This could be replaced in vehicle, pretty easily actually - but the whole engine has to come out of the oil pan leaks... >

I found my 2" wide flexible blade scraper / putty knife was the hot knife through butter required to break loose the industrial strength gray international super goo.... intakes, oil pan, engine rear cover, and front cover all came off the same way.

I think this is the only piece of what hit the piston to make it to the pan.... or - maybe it's totally unrelated?

To make DF know he's not the only one that has rotten luck with messes on the shop floor:

The cam is direct gear drive off the crank

I guess this looks OK for a cam with 190k, rebuild kit doesn't come with one - they are stupid expensive to replace and only come in stock specs so - unless I find anything bad with the roller lifters or cam after further inspection - they are going back in.

Good use for left over insulation board - Lifter organizer:

Rods are powder metal - and not labeled - ford manual instructions include labeling - so I put a number on each and an arrow facing front, as the rods are NOT symmetrical.

All out and on the bench:

This is the worst of any of the bearings:

Back into the bed of Chuck's truck strapped to a pallet - ready for the 30 minute ride to Superior.
                          My back is going to be reminding me how much those heads way in the morning.

The guys at Superior looked at me a bit sideways when I told them I had an engine to drop off for machining - I think they are used to working on stuff that comes in behind a tow truck and doing the whole job in house. The machinists that helped me unload put me at ease that it's a good shop -- the large number of HUGE diesel heads (lots of D60 Detroit 4 valve heads sitting sideways - at over 4ft high) makes me believe these guys do good work.
                          Hopefully the machining goes smoothly and the re - assembly starts in a week or so.

Lots of clean up to do, timing cover and oil pan are pretty grungy - I think I'm going to paint everything gray or silver instead of the factory black so IF I have leaks - I'll at least be able to tell where they are coming from - and if they come from the oil pan - I'll just shoot myself.

Comment

Thanks John for the tear down pictures! I like seeing engines I've never seen apart, well, taken apart. Hope those guys do a good job for you, sounds like they're qualified.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Could you get a few more pictures of that oil pump.... that might be just the solution to a certain Buick's oiling problems - some basic dimensions would be cool too

Comment

The rebuild kit comes with a new oil pump / gerotor assembly - but I'm not sure if it includes the housing.

This design is similar to those I've seen on Honda's - same principle.

I believe the oil feeds in and out through the front cover - so quite a bit of machining would be required.
                                (the oil pump pick up bolts to the front cover casting inside the oil pan)

The tear down is always the easy part, it's the cleaning measuring, cleaning, cleaning, lubing and assembly that take a long time.

The piston to wall clearance seemed tighter than gas engines I've rebuilt - I'm guessing the machine shop will need the pistons to final hone the bores - at least - I hope so.

Comment

Working...
                                X