Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Well
    after following Jim Rose's instructions -- the majority of the injectors in this 190k engine are not looking like they will be proper without a bit of machine work....

So - I have a feeling I'll be bracing for a bit of pain in the wallet - and shipping the whole set of 8 off to him to be set up properly. I've learned allot about what makes a powerstroke injector tick - and after this - I will never skimp on fuel filter changes again!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Finally got back to the shop and pulled the turbo....

Injectors should be done in a week or so.

Once I have the turbo apart and the new compressor wheel installed - then I will ship the rotating assembly out for balance.

The stock exhaust side housing is a .84 a/r, the stock intake side housing is a 1.00 a/r. I have access to a 1.0 exhaust side I could swap on while it's apart. The question is - will I be giving up noticeable bottom end? Will I notice any improvement in the top end? Which makes more sense knowing I will be swapping on a 4" exhaust in place of the factory exhaust - or does that make any difference?

Lee wants to know why this is taking so long:

Comment

You are a lucky man - he looks like Mommie. (I heard that a LOT when the girls were little).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

Looks like he needed his diaper changed after that pic.

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Nice thread. I've got an '01 Supercab 4x4 with the 7.3, great trucks. Hope you get yours back together without any more pain, and go for the exhaust mods while you're in there. You'll love it!

Comment

James
              I have most of what I need to run 3.5 off the turbo under the floor to 4 into a magnaflow muffler - then out through a 4 tail pipe.

with a little googling I found some answers on the turbo housing:

"This larger exhaust housing from Garrett is a wasted gated 1.0A/R and is a direct replacement for the stock 0.84A/R housings used on 1999.5-2003 Ford Powerstroke engines.
              The larger 1.0A/R housing provides significant EGT reduction under heavy towing conditions without noticeable increase of turbo lag. "

so - it looks like I'll be bolting on that 1.0 when I put the turbo back together.

Comment

Turbo is stripped down, I will send the exhaust turbine, shaft, collar, and new compressor wheel off to the gent I got the rebuild kit from who will balance it as part of the kit cost. ($105)

I'm not sure how a powerstroke garret TP38 (?) compares to the aftermarket turbos sold as power adders for hot rod gas engines, but if I was going to build a junkyard turbo set up - this is what I'd go with.... There are hundreds of thousands of them out there - I've seen them sell on ebay for around $100 for a complete unit - and with another $105 you can rebuild it, a compressor wheel is another $40 - and you've got basically a new turbo. There are .84, 1.0, and 1.16 exhaust housings that were used in different years - so they are junkyard items as well. The best part is you can literally rebuild one of these units with nothing more than a 5/16 12 point socket and wrench... no special tools, period.

They are set up feeding a 444 cubic inch diesel V8 that only revs up to 3500rpm... at boost levels as high as 35psi....
                I would think that would work pretty well with some tuning work on a 350 - 400 cubic inch gas V8 to make some decent power.... cheap.

Comment

Turbo is stripped down, I will send the exhaust turbine, shaft, collar, and new compressor wheel off to the gent I got the rebuild kit from who will balance it as part of the kit cost. ($105)

I'm not sure how a powerstroke garret TP38 (?) compares to the aftermarket turbos sold as power adders for hot rod gas engines, but if I was going to build a junkyard turbo set up - this is what I'd go with.... There are hundreds of thousands of them out there - I've seen them sell on ebay for around $100 for a complete unit - and with another $105 you can rebuild it, a compressor wheel is another $40 - and you've got basically a new turbo. There are .84, 1.0, and 1.16 exhaust housings that were used in different years - so they are junkyard items as well. The best part is you can literally rebuild one of these units with nothing more than a 5/16 12 point socket and wrench... no special tools, period.

They are set up feeding a 444 cubic inch diesel V8 that only revs up to 3500rpm... at boost levels as high as 35psi....
                  I would think that would work pretty well with some tuning work on a 350 - 400 cubic inch gas V8 to make some decent power.... cheap.
                  we use GTP38s on gary hart's twin turbo stude. with clipped turbines and the big exhaust housings, they're good for about 500hp apiece (flywheel), maybe 550. We push them HARD and get a little over 1000 flywheel on 555 cubes (admitedly, too big).

Another local mustang guy has them on his junkyard build. His is about 450hp but he has smaller AR and no other upgrades.

The only real problem with the TP38s is that they are reverse rotation, so there is no other upgrade path later on. We'd like to put bigger turbos on the stude, but... it would require a huge rework.

and, this thread is a great read! keep it up!! your son is a lucky kid
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

haha, I've stood in the driveway looking back and forth between Mustang and Powerstroke wondering just the same thing. Glad to know there are like minds around here.

Comment

Injectors are back from Rosewood, and I got the email that the turbo rotating assembly has been shipped - hopefully I'll get it next week.

Hopefully in a week or so - this thing will rumble back to life.

I'm really not looking forward to replacing the gaskets on the exhaust pipes that lead up into the turbo - but they need to be done as I can see streaks of black soot coming out of the connectors..... wish me luck - 190k of heat cycling.... :o

Comment

I'm really not looking forward to replacing the gaskets on the exhaust pipes that lead up into the turbo - but they need to be done as I can see streaks of black soot coming out of the connectors..... wish me luck - 190k of heat cycling.... :o
                        Better get out the PB Blaster and whatever torch you can fit in that space without catching the truck on fire. Start soaking now.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Balanced turbo rotating assembly came back, turbo is assembled with all new parts.

The exhaust housing my friend gave me turned out to be the same .84 A/R I already had, so - the turbo will remain all stock, just freshened up....

well - I did remove the exhaust back pressure valve - so - I guess it's not ALL stock.

I have all the parts now - so I just have to carve the time out to get this thing running again.

Lee's medicine is helping him keep food down - but the docs aren't done testing yet - and the visiting nurse will be at the house weekly for a while checking his weight.

Comment

I didn't know the little fella was having difficulty. Best Positive Energy for Lee and Momma and Daddy.

Grandan

Comment

Thanks Dan - so far it looks like Lee got my stomach... after the upper GI, ultrasounds, x rays, blood tests, urine, tests, and having him on an IV a couple days, he's now on zantac twice a day... more testing to follow - he's holding his food down much better.

I got a few hours to spend at the shop tonight.

The up pipe flange bolts all came out! I warmed things up first with the propane torch, got out a few 10mm 6 point options, and tried my hand... I'll be damned if every one didn't come loose without herculean effort! Must be made from some really good steel.... not much rust in the threads and the heads of the bolts are all still solid and not "reduced in size" by rust.
                              Unfortunately - one of the things the diesel guys have warned me about stopped my progress on replacing the "donuts" the new gaskets are loose on the pipes - which means they won't seal well for long - so I need to find a 2" pipe expander that I can hopefully snake into those pipes to spread them out just a bit to fit snugly on the ID of the new gaskets, then I can put all that together again.

I got four injectors installed on the driver's side.

While I was at it - I took a fresh look at the alternator bracket / pulley problem on the ranger - and I think I finally found something that will work! With parts I already had on hand - just a new combination I had not thought of before....it still uses some spacers in a few spots - but nothing crazy... time will tell if the alignment is good enough to keep the belt happy.... but at least it's good enough that I can move on to other things on the road to getting it started!

Comment

If any of you were on the west side of the motor city yesterday afternoon, you might have heard me yelling....
                                after a bloody and painful battle that nearly had me wiring the whole shop for a massive C4 demolition...
                                the up pipe donuts are replaced, and the turbo is in.

The casting which connects the up pipes to the inlet of the turbo is a total pita to get out, get back in, and get lined up with the turbo.... way too many degrees of freedom of movement.... so - after several attempts at other methods, I had to line up the turbo with the up pipe connector - with the bolts holding the pipe flanges way loose to allow movement - then tighten up the v band clamp which holds the connection together.... THEN - move the whole assembly into position so the turbo could be bolted to the pedestal... all this without disturbing the two orings that seal the oil passages feeding the turbo.

I'm confident I invented strings of explitives never before uttered in the natural world.

Thankfully at least the driver side up pipe bolts are easy to get to with a 3ft extension from underneath....
                                one on the passenger side can get accessed from underneath, but the other requires plastic man like manipulation of the wrists.

Needless to say a few adult beverages were consumed with great speed after returning home from the shop.

Today I'm sore from the battle but I have to get back at it to get the truck back on the road soon - we may end up driving it to chi - town for memorial day weekend with the family.

Comment

Working...
                                X