"Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

The thought of a cummins swap has entered my mind several times - even starting with a V10 truck when gas was over $4 a gallon.... talk about fire sales.

Well - IT'S ALIVE!

I think I maybe loosing a battery - or, a starter.... I don't like the way it's starting.

But - it runs and drives, and the biggest change I noticed is how QUIET it is! I know that's a strange statement about a powerstroke - known to blow the eardrums out of drive through window servers all over the country --- but this damned thing is half as loud as it was before -- rebuilding the injectors made a HUGE difference.

The idle is still not silky smooth (I know Scott - it's not a cummins!) I'm not sure if that will smooth out anymore or not.

Right now it is hooked up to a battery charger here at work - hopefully the battery will come back - otherwise it's time for one or two new ones - the one looks fairly new already. One of the problems is the cable ends are beaten up pretty badly - I'd like to replace the ends - but that's no easy task on a two battery system.... new cables are $$$
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That's the plan for my old IDI when it gives up...12V Cummins.

My friend's 97 'stroke quieted down as well with the new injectors....it's wierd.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Glad is running and at least on the mend. Did you know you were buying this much trouble? How 'bout a DT466 swap? LOTS of those from school busses in the salvage yards. A little more turbo makes a lot more power with those.

Dan

Comment

Dan - you never really know what you get when you're buying used with high mileage - but I knew I'd be doing injectors and turbo - the injector sleeves were the surprise - but - honestly - those were quite simple to do - and now that I've fabbed up the tool - I'd do them again without reserve.

I got the rust free truck for about half the going rate 'cause it was running rough and has it's share of dents and scratches.... With all the work I've put into it I still have less than $10k in it - and compared to a $57k new one.... I'm doing fine.

Comment

well - the batteries seemed to wake up after a day of charging.

This evening I spent cleaning the interior - shop vac'd the carpet, then went over it with the green machine and pinesol... hit a few bad spots with orange cleaner, and even hydrogen peroxide --- they aint coming out.... but at least it doesn't smell so bad anymore. Fresh rain x on the windshield, and we're ready to go.

Looks like I still have a small fuel leak in the valley to contend with - but that's just going to have to wait.

In the morning I'm picking up some free left over pea gravel from a friends job site - then it's pack the truck for the trip and head West.

I hope everybody has a great Memorial day weekend!

Comment

You too, John & family. Have fun on your Big Adventure.

Dan

Comment

Drive careful brother and enjoy the long weekend.

Comment

Good work John, since everyone is talking about Cummins swaps in Fords, here are some pics of my neighbor's truck to clutter up your thread.

Currently still in progress, but moving along well. He used an adapter plate from Destroked and mated the cummins to the stock ZF 5speed. Motor is a P-pumped 12valve, that has a few mods, including the HX40/HT60 twins setup. Should be ready for the road sometime in July.

Oh, and for Dan on the DT466 swap - it has been done in a Ford, but it isn't pretty. You pretty much have to remove the whole firewall and a good portion of the dashboard, and a body lift helps a lot as well. Even though they are only 466ci, them mothers are HUGE and weigh about 500lbs more than a Cummins. They can be resleeved to get them over 700ci. BUT, they can withstand a very large amount of power, and are pretty cheap to find and rebuild.

Anyway, thread hijack over.
                  Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Glad it's come back together well for you, nice thread! Hope your weekend drive is trouble free.

Comment

Thanks for the pics, 141. Just thinkin' out loud on the DT 466 - I guess I didn't remember them as being THAT long, but all my experience was on the dyno so length wasn't an issue.

Dan

Comment

Just checking in from one of my nieces laptops on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in the chicago burbs. We just walked Lee in his stroller around my old paper route, and now he's down for a nap.

The truck ran just fine for the 250 mile trip here. The AC needs a top off - it was cool, but not cold - being black the heat load in this thing is ridiculous! Why a Floridian would buy a black truck escapes me. Thankfully the front windows are tinted as is the top several inches of the windshield.

The truck still doesn't have a silky smooth idle - but it's much much much better than before all of this work... Perhaps with a faulty or injector or two - there is some crud that needs to be cleaned off some valves / combustion chambers?
                        Overall - it runs just fine - it is leaving some very small puddles where it is parked - I think it's fuel, not oil, but I will check further after we get back home. I have not checked the MPG yet - I'm guessing 17ish with the air on running at 70mph which is just over 2000rpm.

The pictures of that cummins swap look great - that engine fits just as well if not better than the powerstroke - and being an inline - there's much more room for hardware on the passenger side.

Have a great Memorial day everybody!

Comment

Suggestion - paint the top silver. It usually looks OK on a big truck and it removes a ton of heat load. Another option is to Dynamat the underside of the roof (I don't know what Ford put in there). A friend did a customer's car that way and A/C issues went away. Karumba!!!! Why not just Dynamat the outside of the room? Now THAT would be hillbilly chic!

A sip of freon is probably a good idea, too.

Dan

Comment

We made it back home through several torrential down pours....

new problem with the truck -- WATER LEAKS!

Glove box had a couple quarts of water in it by the time we got home, and sometimes I'd feel a few drips on my left foot under the dash.

Pretty sure a new windshield (not cracked but leaking around the edges) will cure most if not all of the leaks - and for sure some of the windnoise.

Got around 17.3mpg for the trip with the AC on all the way running 70mph which is about 2100rpm. That includes a few traffic jams and a few miles of in town driving back home.

Still have some white smoke and miss at idle - even warmed up - the trouble shooting will continue, have to do anothe injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test. Before the injector rebuild I was getting contribution failures on 1,3,8...not every cylinder every time I ran the test though.

Mom in law has my focus wagon for a few weeks while she's in town - so the truck is my daily driver for now, I'll have to see if I can have a glass shop come to work and put in a new window under the parking structure.

Comment

We had an Excursion that leaked like that. It turned out to be the screws that hold the cowl panel thing down between the hood and windshield. Apparently before I got it, when the windshield was replaced, the screws were left out...a dab of clear silicone and new screws and no more leaks!

Just a thought.

Comment

Thanks Dan!

I'll check that too.

I know I have an air leak at the top of the windshield on the passenger side - and, I had some water coming down the inside of the windshield a couple inches to the drivers side from the rear view mirror.... so - it's Winshield time regardless... unless a glass shop will give me a reasonable deal taking the old one out, new gasket, and putting it back in... I doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                                X