"Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Looks like a new carlite windshield will be about $170 installed. I looked up the install procedure and it's a glue in unit, no gasket... hopefully they get it right.

I hooked up the NGS to the truck yesterday after work and my suspicion is confirmed - #8 fails the cylinder contribution test. Thankfully that's on the driver's side - even though it's against the firewall - it's easier than dealing with anything on the passenger side.

So - now I guess the next thing to do is double check all the electrical connections - I do recall the connector at the valve cover being a bit loose on that side. The under valve cover harnesses looked like they'd already been replaced, but I will check them with the ohm meter as well.

The saga continues.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks to great prices at Rockauto new tail lights, mirror switch, front marker lights/turn signals, and a new tailgate support cable have been ordered. Unfortunately - if they need to ship from two different warehouses (which you don't find out about until you're checking out) they hit you with twice the shipping costs... >
      in this case $8 two times... oh well. :

All of it was $96 delivered - it helps to drive one of the most common vehicles on the planet sometimes! ;)

I got the tail lights, tailgate cable, and mirror switch installed in about 15 minutes over the weekend... at least I can adjust my mirrors now and the back of the truck looks a bit less abused with new tail lights.

I hope to find the right parts to allow me to do a compression check this week --- if compression on #8 is down...

I'll have to contemplate my options, I don't think I'd be able to find a bore scope small enough to fit down the glow plug hole - so all I'd be able to do is pull the head and hope it's a valve issue - not a cracked piston..... if it's a piston - the whole engine has to come out - which is a HUGE job on this truck, I really really really hope I don't have to go there.

if the #8 compression is similar to the others - then I'll KNOW it's an electrical issue - or something wrong in the injector rebuild.

Comment

Well -

To quote Mr. Lohne's - one of these things aint like the other!

2 340
        4 340
        6 340
        8 140

It sounds like the intake valve is damaged on #8 - while the neighbor was cranking it over it sounded like there was a pulse of air coming back up the intake manifold.... I will check that again when I have some assistance, other than my 5 month old Lee whom I'm trying to keep sleeping in the house.

So - the injector hole and glow plug holes are too small for any bore scope I've seen.....

IF - I it really sounds like an intake valve - I'm tempted to fix it now instead of wait....

I have a few options in mind, and I'm open to your ideas:

1. buy nothing until pulling the head
        - carefully inspect to see what is damaged and what parts are required...
        THEN make the decision to replace the valve and head gasket and button it up (best case)
        or
        discover I also have a cracked piston - at which time the rails come off this train and I have to evaluate a whole bunch of other painfully expensive and summer wrecking options.

2. order a re-manufactured head, head gasket, and plan a one day thrash fest to swap it out...

3. now that I know what it is and know how the truck runs with one "dead" hole - put it back together again and run it this way the rest of the summer until winter when I will have more time and less pressure to do the work.

4. call up my friendly neighborhood mechanic and get out my check book.... I'd be interested to see what the flat rate is for swapping heads - thankfully it's the driver's side - I've just had a bunch of stuff apart - and the PITA factor should be greatly reduced -- also - the exhaust manifold doesn't have to come off - you pull it out as an assembly - with a cherry picker - 'cause these sombitches are HEAVY!

5. push the truck into the lake and call insurance company

6. put it back together again and sell it while looking for a nearly identical but lower mileage replacement

7. drink enough bourbon to make this all go away. ;D

Comment

I vote for #7 ...
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Can I get a #3 moving into a #5 by fall followed up by a #7?
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I vote - drive it til winter, then take it offline for a Fummins swap!
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

#8- Pull valve cover, rotate crank till both valves are closed, blow air in glow plug hole and see where it comes out.

Comment

Damned good idea MR4 - why didn't I think of that???

the only compressor I have here at the house is a little pancake.... but I can borrow something with a bit more oomph if need be.

The valve cover is just sitting over the head now...so diving back in is simple.... but at some point I will have to either tow it to my shop or another shop or - assemble it and drive it....then pull it apart again.

This makes me feel a bit better about option #2:

sucks that I just put $60 in new injector sleeves into the old head but oh well....

Comment

seems to me one new head and one old head is just another head job in the making...IF I were in your shoes...and I had the money I would buy 2 remaned heads and swap them out as time allows...provided I did not need the truck right away
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      I vote - drive it til winter, then take it offline for a Fummins swap!
                      I'll second that!

Good luck John, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be too serious.
                      Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Cummins swap - sure - that would be cheap and easy :

What I'm really hoping to do is pull the head - replace a damaged valve, and put it back together again with fresh gaskets.

What I really wish I had at this point is a borescope that would fit down that glow plug hole - that would tell me if I am looking at a damaged piston or not.... no more "pull the head and see".

I guess this is what I get for buying high mileage used.... however - reman'd long blocks are about $4k - add that to what I paid for it and I'm about blue book with a new engine... that makes me feel better - but I don't really want to spend untold hours swapping engines in this beast, but I will if I have to.

Comment

If you need help let us know, especially with #7. <hiccup> ;D
                          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Re: &quot;Lee's Limo&quot; 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

I'd go with #1 first of all ??? The curiosity of WTF is going on would drive me crazy.

Comment

The problem with #7 is that once the effects wear off, the other 6 are still staring you in the face. Alcohol never fixes anything!

I say pull the head and see what you have. If you can find a doc, the medical 'scopes are pretty small and I suspect would fit in there. Call your Olympus rep and see if they have a medical trade-in you can try. The guy I dealt with at EPA would lend you his wife if he thought it MIGHT lead to a sale. We had a borrowed 'scope for over a year and never did buy one. Worth a try.

Dan

Comment

Old Granddad 115 proof is my choice followed by Bushmills as my second choice ;D
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X