"Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Well - this is by no means a hot rod, but instead of hijacking the ranger thread with it - I figured I'd start a thread for Lee's first project ;D.

I loved my '97 power-stroke - and since I spent so much time learning about the engine in that truck - I wanted to upgrade the cab and chassis - without changing engines - so I was shopping for an '01 - '03 before they started putting in the 6.0 into them about mid year.

I got a great deal on the truck out of central Florida and drove it home from there a couple weeks ago with my wife and Lee our 3 month old son - it made the trip dependably and comfortably.
    (Rhonda even said she liked driving and riding in it)
    With the exception of one driver error on my part - running out of fuel - just under 1/4 tank and with the trip computer reading 80 miles to empty! >
    So - until I have time and motivation to drop the tank and mess with the sender - I will stop for fuel whenever the needle hits 1/4!!!

The truck is rough around the edges for sure and will take a good bit of time and parts to get up to snuff - but - compared to comparable mileage and optioned trucks - I got it for about 60% of market - so I can live with some future repairs, most importantly - it is rust free!

Here's the to-do list:

rebuild injectors (anybody used Rosewood's kits? $250+)
    rebuild turbo (ebay kits $100 + new compressor wheel $40)
    glow plugs ($80)
    re-route crank case vent to external reservoir (keep oil out of the inner - cooler and turbo, about $20 in plumbing parts)
    down pipe, exhaust (I have a 4" magnaflow muffler)
    Boost, trans temp, exhaust temp gauges - probably on dash instead of A pillar (I have the gauges, never put em in the '97)

outside power mirrors are wonky
    tailgate is beat to a pulp
    both tail lights are fubared
    trailer wiring is fubared
    rear bumper mounts are either bent or out of alignment
    inside of bed needs rhino liner / line-x BAD
    driver's seat is in bad need of re-upholstering - or replacement
    I picked up an '06 rear seat which is split, backs fold down or bottoms fold up, and has storage plates underneath - way better than the single bench which only tilts forward in it now.

So - this will be a long term project that I hope to keep for many years - I'll update as time allows....

Here's what she looks like now - detailed shots of the wheels / tires for those of you interested in making a trade to get these 305 BFG all terrain KO's off this truck in favor of 265s....

There's always something new to learn.

Re: "Lee's Limo" 2001 F350 crew cab 4x4 diesel

Well - crap
    Add another thing to the To do list...

The freaking thing leaks! :o

I just went out to put the new registration and insurance papers in the glove box - to find it full of water!

I wonder if that is related to the wind noise that's coming from the lower passenger side of the windshield!

The fun has started - at least I found the leak BEFORE I put any paperwork in there!

Comment

You WOULD offer up some BFG All-Terrains after I went and bought a new set of Cooper Discoverer ATR's P265/75R16(not as aggressive on the lugs, but still good grip/actually rides better). I LOVES me some BFG All-Terrains, but not for $850 for 4 stinkin' tires(and that's in the stock P265/75R16). I'd offer up a trade, but I'd have to get a suspension lift to get'em to fit....damn the luck.

I actually asked the last tire guy if he had drank his lunch after quoting the price.....subtlety isn't part of my persona.

John, that truck looks pretty good....I'm sure you'll have it all squared away in no time. If I hadn't found my Silverado, I was actually contemplating buying a Ford similar to yours.

Leak? Look at it like this.....at least it's water in the glovebox, and NOT in the crankcase!

Someone get a tube of silicone sealer, STAT!

Comment

Smoke - you should have asked him to quote you a set of 305s!

I paid $270 for ONE - and to have the damaged tire dismounted from the wheel and mounted to the spare - which is still riding in the bed.

Keep me posted on how you like those Coopers - those are on my short list.

Comment

Reminds me of my old 01 4 door short box with a 7.3, it was black too. That was a great truck...not like the 6.4 I have now the EGR went out and will be over a week on back order. General garbbers are a good tire at a good price and you can get them load rated for a 3/4 ton.

Comment

Shawn - whatever I get will be Load Range E for sure - when I haul firewood - I put as much in as I can, not to mention my trailer is 3600lb empty.

There are kits to eliminate the EGR coolers - but I'm guessing your truck is still under warranty....

there's a guy with a 6.4 truck at work that he's warmed over and man that thing FLIES!

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              Shawn - whatever I get will be Load Range E for sure - when I haul firewood - I put as much in as I can, not to mention my trailer is 3600lb empty.

There are kits to eliminate the EGR coolers - but I'm guessing your truck is still under warranty....

there's a guy with a 6.4 truck at work that he's warmed over and man that thing FLIES!
              I think it's out of warranty 87k, I will have to check that out

Comment

John, looks like a nice truck overall. I can't believe how heavy built these things are, they are built like a tank! At least you don't have rust to deal with... > I think it is in the driver's manual that all Super Duty owners must smash the tailgates as much as they can throughout the life of the truck. A dent in the tailgate is required at 3000 mile intervals...

Speaking of bent tailgates - I just picked up an 08 takeoff gate for my truck - actually cheaper than a nice pre-08 gate. The 08 gates have the "SUPER DUTY" stamped into the bottom of them, and also have the torsion bar lift assist. Can't wait to get it painted and put on.

The 305s really look good on the truck, why drop to a 265? I'm looking for a stock set of aluminum wheels for my truck as a little upgrade when I go to larger tires, but I'm amazed at the prices that people are asking for stock wheels. I can buy a set of new 16x8 Eagle Alloys for less than a set of used (and beat up) Super Duty wheels.
                Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Looks good John. That era of truck is notorious for the mileage counter/computer being waaayyyy off. It's not the sender, it's the actual calculator up in the ceiling, and the larger tires may be making it worse....About those BFG's, they look good on that truck, fills the wheel well up better.

As far as the Rosewood injector kit goes, my good friend has a '97 F350 and did not need the upgraded injectors until he put the bigger turbo/chip/exhaust on it. He went with the Rosewoods, but sent them a set of cores to build for him.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Nice truck, Milner.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

thanks for the input guys.

Ford141 -- check the fit on that '08 gate - make sure it will work - someone told me once they went with the tailgate step gates (even if yours doesn't have it) something was different about them - so - make sure it works before you go through the trouble of painting it!!!
                      I hear you on the take off wheels - I had the same experience finding alcoa factory wheels for my '97, I ended up buying a '95 that had eagles, and swapped, then sold the '95 after taking a bunch of other good parts off it - like a headache rack and 5th wheel hitch that I still have!

I have to admit I like the way the 305s LOOK - I just don't like the way they FEEL - they tend to pull you into puddles, slush, ruts in the road - (in michigan - we have lots of ruts)
                      if I can't swing a sweet enough deal - the 305s will stay!

I can get a repop tailgate for $100 then swap over all the hardware... that's probably how I'll end up going - good used tailgates just aren't out there!

Depending on what you want - I had a set of black steel aftermarket wheels on my '88 - and I have to say - with black wheels and blackwall tires - it gave it a cool look - and ALOT cheaper than aluminums.

Shawn - I think emissions stuff is 100K warranty?

Comment

If the 305s are pulling you around on the road, it is probably because the steering box is worn out (very common on the Super Duty). Mine only has 62K on it, and the box is a little loose (not enough to replace it though). I had 35x12.50 on my 05 F150 on the stock wheels, and it drove dead straight, even on the notoriously bad roads here in PA. Only time it would pull was when I had a worn component in the front end (ball joints, tie rod ends). I'd check out the front and make sure that everything is tight before I'd go swapping out tires.

The 08 gates are a direct fit, but you must replace the driver's side trunion (hinge) because they have the integrated lift assist torsion bar in them. They have a slot in the tailgate hinge that locks into the trunion and allows the lift assist to do its work. Other than that, direct fit. Many guys have done it already (because the original gates are so hard to find).

I would seriously recommend to STAY AWAY from the $100 repop gates, especially if you use your truck for hauling (like I know you do). They fit good, but are way thinner than the original gates, and much lighter construction. My dad put on of those on his old '76 F250, and the friggin' gate would bow and flex if you stood on it. Not worth the $100 IMO.

Comment

looks like I'll be searching for an '08!
                          (do the newer ones fit then too?)

with the lift assist can you still take the gate off like the old ones?

Comment

Yes, 08-10 are all the same. Not sure if they changed anything on the 2011 trucks, haven't seen a tailgate yet.

And yes, they can be removed just the same as the older gates, but the procedure is a little different. To get the passenger side off, they are the same as before, ie lift the gate halfway up, slide straight off the bracket, but to get the driver's side off, you must then lift the gate up until it is almost shut to release the tension on the torsion bar, then slide the gate off the hinge.

Comment

Are the injector kits your talking about a performance upgrade as well as the turbo rebuild? Only reason why I'm putting my 2 cent in is because the local dealership I work at guys are coming in with 7.3 with way over 300,000 and nver been apart.
                              Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Working...
                              X