1960 Falcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Falcon

The 52 Chevy is done and driving fine, and the '62 Comet takes up most of my daytime hours so it's on to something else at night. This one is my first car, and one that I started to restore years ago and became frustrated at the paint job so I shelved the whole project until my skills could catch up with my expectations. I bought this car in '87 for $1100 from the estate of the original owner when I was 15. It had 24K miles on it. It now has 58K.

I had planned on doing something else before this one but this is now a priority since my grandmother has asked to see it done and she is not in good health. I have much work left to do, but the good thing is that I have collected a ton of NOS parts to complete the car.

Should I repaint now or put it together and paint it later?

Just pulled it out of the back of the garage today.

I had the seats done with NOS upholstery. Try to find that stuff!

Gave it a bath to clean off all the crud.

Paint still shines good. Too bad the fenders and hood are slightly different from the rest of the car.

Re: 1960 Falcon

Dam the paint and finish that sucker for Grandma!

Andy, that thing needs something off the beatin path under the hood, SHO V-6, Turbo 2.3, hell even a Supercoupe 3.8 would be cool. If money were no object, Eco-Boost V-6 all the way!

She's all american for sure, red ,white and blue.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I agree with Jeremy, get that sucker finished. Unless the difference is really noticeable in person, just get to the things that need to be finished. For motivation, I would keep it simple. Either an EFI 5.0 or a cleaned up straight six.

Comment

leave it a I6 and put it together...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
          The engine is built. I think you'll like it!

Comment

I know pictures usually make paint look better than a well tuned eye in person - but I'd say wet sand and buff where you want to - perhaps do a quick scuff and shoot job to make everything match if it really bothers you - but don't fret too much on the body work - this is one you're going to drive I'm sure - so don't spend too much time worrying about a show car finish.

I can't WAIT to see this thing come to completion - you sure have a nice arsenal of vehicles!

I'm 2 years older than you and feel like you're atleast a decade in front of me as far as skills and experience.... once again this place has made me feel like a 3 toed sloth - but I'm envious none the less!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Actually, my plan was to build this one to be very nice and drive it sparingly to keep it that way. I think my attitude has changed to the point where I'd like to drive it more, and not worry about the quality so much. I don't plan to ever get rid of it, so there's time to do it again, lol

My Dad says that if he knew I was going to keep my first one forever and take as much care as I did with this one he should have let me get something that was worth more in the end. He thought the Falcon was a throw away car for me an I would move on to other cars. I told him before I bought a car that I would keep it. Other cars did come my way and by the time I graduated HS I had a '72 Chevelle and a '70 Pontiac Catalina that were nice cars too. I can't help but think of the stuff I could have had then though like a '70 GTO for $2800, a '67 Buick GranSport for $2500 and the '64 Falcon Sprint 4spd we bought then the guy changed his mind when we went to pick it up.

But the Falcon served me well, and only let me down twice that I remember. Once the trans blew up and another time the clutch linkage lost a part of itself. I learned some good lessons on this car doing the tuneup, swapping the trans, changing a clutch, rebuilding a carb, oh, and driving a standard shift! Sadly, the engine was shot when I pulled it apart to examine it. I kept up on oil changes but it would have needed a complete rebuild. I had something else in mind.

Comment

cool car...
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My brother had one for a short time. Fun little car as long as you didn't mind the massive body roll when taking corners ;)

Comment

Hell,since you've come this far with the Car......and are you keeping the Six? ~J/W.

Comment

Another great project. Don't disappoint your grandma.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

finish it then drive it
                        I am the same way with some of my projects and they seem to never end {my truck} and my family all wants to see it done so plans change and stupid lil things come and go but in the end I will always have it
                        drive it looks good have fun make grams smile

Comment

Sweet car! I'd say just get it together. It looks pretty good as is for now. At least you'll be sure it's together for your grandmother to see now.

My first car was a 62 Fairlane 2 door, 170 I6, 3 on the column. It was a rust bucket but it was my rust bucket! Paid $25 because the engine had a miss. Turns out it just had a broken pushrod. Ran fine after replacing it...and the rings getting unstuck from sitting.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Put it together, some off beat engine would be interesting later, but for now ignore the 'flaws' you see and put it together. I will go out on a limb and figure it has been quite some time since you drove it. Same with my first car that I havent driven since January 87. I just realized that your story is similar to mine and we are close in age, kinda cool. Put it together and drive it. My Cougar is in about the same status, except the engine and trans are in it, and really we should just put them together and drive the hell out of them this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by vt junk
                              Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                              The engine is built. I think you'll like it!
                              I like it already...whats not to love about thises things...cool little cars....I had to pass on one in high school but turned a buddy on to it and he purchased it for 400 bucks...drove it for 3 years as a pizza delivery car...never had an issue with it...till he got rear ended...

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing this one all together...I wish my paint was 1/1000 that nice on my car or my truck
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X