My new toy, a 1994 Mercury Cougar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new toy, a 1994 Mercury Cougar

Finally got the tranny issue ironed out (it's nice when you actually get time to do stuff like that). The thing is idling like ass when cold. I'm thinking the IAC is going south. I'll probably replace that this weekend. I'll also take a look at some other annoying little problems that have cropped up. I might even take a trip to Pick n Pull to scope out some interior parts.

I've also been thinking Turbo, but I'm wondering where I'll be able to fit it. Looks like the battery might take a trip to the trunk...

Comment

Shannon - before jumping on the parts changing train - make sure to check out the connection at the maf sensor - my '93 tbird (302 but similar set up) would "idle like an ass" intermittently - and I found the connection at the maf was loose - a couple strategically placed nylon zip ties and it was fixed.

I don't recall if you've done a tune up on this thing yet - or if you've cleaned the maf (there is specific maf cleaner don't use carb or brake cleaner) cleaned the throttle body / IAC, changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, or set the timing....
      ;D
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

if your IAC is bad it shoudl idle like ass all the time...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
          if your IAC is bad it shoudl idle like ass all the time...
          I've found through experience on Fords that the IAC will cause a car or truck to idle like crap (when cold) when it's just starting to go bad (ie: get gummed up). That was the case with my former Explorer, T-Bird, and now the Cougar. I replaced it yesterday and it idles much better. I replaced the MAF sensor when I first got the car (showed bad when I pulled the codes). And since the tabs on the connector were broken, I also did the zip-tie trick to hold it in place. I got a new connector from the junkyard yesterday evening, so that will go on in short order. I've done a tune up, but haven't played with the timing as of yet. I'm still leaning real hard on replacing the induction system and heads with units from a later year Windstar. I've read that there's some horsepower to be picked up there. What I'm debating is either to keep the stock injectors the car has now, or step up to the bigger size injectors the Windstar has. If I step up, I'll have to get the computer reflashed. If I'm going to do that, then I'll probably install a hotter cam. Kinda like the "It all started with a leak" mindset! :D

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
            I don't recall if you've done a tune up on this thing yet - or if you've cleaned the maf (there is specific maf cleaner don't use carb or brake cleaner) cleaned the throttle body / IAC, changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor, or set the timing....
            ;D
            Took your advice and cleaned the throttle body yesterday. Man, that thing was nasty! Used throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush. I also removed that suitcase looking air silencer located behind the front bumper. I still need to install a screen in the air cleaner assembly to keep the critters out. As far as tune up items go, I used Motorcraft platinum plugs, Bosch high quality wires, and Autozone's "gold" ditributor cap and rotor. The cap uses brass instead of aluminum.

Overall the car runs better...but I still have this annoying stumble/hesitation at throttle tip-in when cold. The stumble/hesitation is small and goes away when the car warms a little, but it's still annoying. Maybe I'm being anal retentive, but I'd really like to get rid of this hesitation altogether. I'm at my wits end on what to check next though. :-\

Comment

Good deal on the tune up parts.... aluminum cap terminals are not as good as brass - good choice.

Have you checked the timing on this thing? Does it have the spout connector like the 5.0's?

Set the timing to the factory specs and see if anything changes - then maybe advance it a couple degrees and see if that helps.

How many miles again?

Did you check for vacuum leaks where the two parts of the intake come together?

Offer still stand on those injectors if you can get me a part number.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                Good deal on the tune up parts.... aluminum cap terminals are not as good as brass - good choice.

Have you checked the timing on this thing? Does it have the spout connector like the 5.0's?

Set the timing to the factory specs and see if anything changes - then maybe advance it a couple degrees and see if that helps.

How many miles again?

Did you check for vacuum leaks where the two parts of the intake come together?

Offer still stand on those injectors if you can get me a part number.
                I'm a firm believer in quality parts. The engine is a Jasper rebuild. It has approx 75K miles on it. I haven't done anything with the timing yet (it has the same spout connector like the 5.0's). I'll probably do that this weekend, as my timing light got broken in the move. I've checked for vacuum leaks....but not around that part of the manifold. I'll have to give that a look tomorrow. Thanks for that tip BTW! I didn't even think about where the manifold joins together.

I haven't got the part numbers as of yet for those injectors. From what I've seen of the injectors for the Windstar intake, the look alot different that any other injector I've encountered before.

Comment

Working...
                X