Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
    Radiator shop, they'll put it in a bath that will clean inside and out at the same time. Some of them also put a coating on the inside of the tank.
    That thought crossed my mind, but by the time they're done with it I could've bought a new tank.
    New spectra tanks are stamped funny in the center making it difficult to weld on a filler neck.

Factory VW tanks are somewhat flat in the center, they only have 1 rib in the way, so welding a neck on isn't to difficult...

I'm doing this on the cheap. I don't have much to spend on it right now, but I have enough to get it going.
    I chose the degreaser, Evapo-Rust route. Both are biodegradable, user friendly, and cheap. About $25 for everything.
    I read about cleaning gas tanks with Evapo-Rust, and it looks like is does a great job as long as the tank is "clean".
    I just filled the tank with a 1/2 gallon of degreaser, and 2 gallons of hot water. Will post the results later.

Comment

• Look up "cleaning out fuel tank" on youtube, that will also give Ideas into what may help, I like the length of chain put into the tank to help dislodge the gunk.

At least the VW tank is small and easy to shake around.
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
        Look up "cleaning out fuel tank" on youtube, that will also give Ideas into what may help, I like the length of chain put into the tank to help dislodge the gunk.

At least the VW tank is small and easy to shake around.
        I read a lot about cleaning fuel tanks the past couple of days. I put in a few lengths of chain with the degreaser, and left them in when I added the Evapo-Rust.
        The degreaser removed all of dirt and contaminants, and even knocked some of the rust out. A fair amount of rust particles came out when I drained the tank.
        The degreaser got the tank much cleaner, and prepared it for the Evapo-Rust solution. The process will take a few days, and the results should be satisfactory.

On a side note, your sig says you own a 70 Monaro GTS. Would you mind making a thread with some photos of it? I've always loved Aussie cars!

Comment

• cleaning gas tank on youtube.com got me this... don't forget to unlock the diff on your tractor.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            cleaning gas tank on youtube.com got me this... don't forget to unlock the diff on your tractor.

HAHAHA! Deaf Bob emailed me a video of his 57 tank strapped to his tractor wheel yesterday!

Comment

• My old motorcycle tank went for an hour on tumble in the dryer. Tucked inside a duffle bag which was wrapped in a sleeping bag and secured with duct tape.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• It's been 24hrs and more than 1/2 of the rust in the tank is completely gone leaving behind nice clean metal.
                I've been turning the tank every couple hours. I'm gonna let it soak another 24hrs and see what happens.

Comment

• I'm glad the tank cleaning is going well, it's surprising what those chemicals can do.

At The moment the Monaro is down the back of the shed, there's a month of winter to go here.

In a few months I'll get it out and do a little spiel about it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1086r.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1048234

Last edited by 65RHDEER; July 30, 2015, 06:28 AM.
                  Tim
                  Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Tim - Thanks for the pic and I'll look forward to seeing much more of it.

Dan

Comment

• Love this thread, as I'm taking delivery of a dune buggy on Sunday with a similar story. It has belonged to my father-in-law for the past 15+ years. He's finally decided to pass it on to us. My kids know it as "The Ice Cream Cruiser".

Keep up the great posts!

Comment

• Is it running yet?
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

• nothing to add, but sure did enjoy the updates
                          Charles

Comment

• Are you guys tryin to tell me that people actually follow this thread? Remarkable..
                            Summer is over, and I was getting ready to put the buggy back in storage.
                            I suppose I can post a few more updates on before winter..

Comment

• Hell! I thought you were enjoying he hell out of this and was slacking on updates!
                              As far as I remember you getting.. Might as well get er running so you can hit the ground flying come spring...

Comment

• Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                                Are you guys tryin to tell me that people actually follow this thread? Remarkable..
                                Only when there are updates.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X