Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

I LIKE this thread but don't have much to add as I'm not an off-road/buggy guy. Still an interesting thread.

Dan
    tardis454 likes this.

Comment

Add me to the interested party list!
      tardis454 likes this.
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project

Comment

I'm back, umm it's back... again. I started working on the buggy engine about a month ago. Over the last few years I found myself either running out of time or money regarding this project. Now I have a little bit of both and decided to take a shot at getting this thing running and driveable once and for all. I split the case apart again and I'm glad I did. The Lubriplate 105 I used gelatinized in/on the bearings and crank journals. Everything was stiff and/or stuck solid in the motor, nothing moved freely. I bought another set of main bearings for it too (long story). I didn't like the way the first set felt and looked and when they went in. This time around I'm using Lucas assembly lube which stays slipperier than snake shit and doesn't gelatinize. I noticed when I took the case and main nuts off some of them didn't feel like they were torqued properly. I'm being more patient and doing stuff a little bit at a time, making sure stuff goes together right the first errr second time yeah..

Splitting the case:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bgmtr_00.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	1243957

Name:	bgmtr_01.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	1243958

Name:	bgmtr_02.jpg
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	1243959

Gelatinized goo...

Name:	bgmtr_03.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	1243960

Name:	bgmtr_04.jpg
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	1243961

Bought a gun brush kit the clean the holes, worked great!

Name:	bgmtr_05.jpg
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	1243962

Crank waiting to be de-gelantized..

Name:	bgmtr_06.jpg
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	1243963

I mean seriously though, I'm German, this engine is German...
        This whole deal should easy-peasy,.. a no brainer right? I'm gonna kick it's ass.
        I'll swear at it in German while eating knockwurst if I have to!

Comment

I got the case torn all the way down, and gave it a bath. No I didn't scrub it in the tub, I just gave it a nice hot water rinse.

Name:	sc_03.JPG
Size:	958.7 KB
ID:	1244731

I've been reading up on proper engine case assembly. A VW guy did a write up and said to fit the cam thrust bearing to the cam and check for clearance. Sure enough the bearing was a little tight. He said use some well worn 600 grit sand paper and polish the thrust surfaces of the bearing. That worked like a charm, the bearing fits perfect now. The same guy also recommended putting the cam in the case by itself and torquing the portion of the case where the cam lives to check for binding. I did that, and the cam turns freely. Next order of business is the start reassembling the case. Before final assembly I'm going to lap the jugs into the spigot holes, and to then to the corresponding cylinder heads. If everything goes as planned I should have the case reassembled by tomorrow.
          SuperBuickGuy, hauen and Deaf Bob like this.

Comment

Progress! I got most of the parts cleaned up, I'm down to a few minor things to clean up as I go along now. I lapped the jugs to the case and heads. I checked and cleaned the rods and rod nuts and I'm glad I did. The rod nuts I have would've probably worked fine, but I had 2 other sets of rods so I used the best combination of nuts I could find. I also noticed that when the machine shop pressed the wrist pin bushings in they didn't debur the oil holes in the bushings. I ran a drill bit through every one and cleaned them up. That left a slight bur on the inside of the bushings which are bronze. I used the wrist pins and some assembly lube and hand burnished the burs out. It worked fantastic! I test fit the new main bearings in the case. Looks like I got a good set, they fit nice and snug. The center main is a bit sprung but it was that way with the last set too. Tomorrow I'll put the rods on the crank and hopefully be dropping it in and buttoning the case back up. Then I can test fit the jugs and cylinders and check deck height. I'm pretty stoked right now, this deal is working out better this time around. I suspect it's because I'm taking my time and double checking things. Here are some pics..

Name:	bmtr_03.JPG
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1244749

Name:	bmtr_04.JPG
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1244750

Name:	bmtr_07.JPG
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1244751

Name:	bmtr_009.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1244752

Name:	bmtr_08.JPG
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1244753
            milner351 likes this.

Comment

I thought VWs were cool as a kid always wanted one. Thanks for sharing.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation

Comment

Working...
              X