Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

give these guys a call

talk to doug, fish, or gilbert - they'll be able to help you out with what ever you need or questions you may have

http://www.dougsbnb.com/
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

You can get away with a 6V starter if you don't use the starter for more than a few seconds. To swap over to a 12V starter you have to change a few other parts like the flywheel, clutch, and starter bushing, just to highlight the major items. I hear there is a hybrid starter out there now, it's been a long time since I was into this VW stuff, that runs on 12V but uses the 6V bendix gear. I am told they are a little over $100 but if they are of a decent quality it may be the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454
        Originally posted by Weldangrind
        Good news on the 12V upgrade; does it still have the 6V starter? I knew an old guy that has been meaning to change the 6v starter in his buggy for 20 years. It just keeps working, even though it's a 12V system.

That degreed pulley is a good score. Do you have centrifugal advance as well as vacuum? I can't see a vac can on the distributor. I rebuilt a vac / mech advance distributor for a buddy's bus, and it woke it right up. Even so, he only static-timed it, and I think there's more in there if you use a timing light.
        It had a 6v starter until dad-in-law burned it up last Saturday. The degreed pulley is worn but still semi readable.
        It does have a mechanical advance distributor. I have an original vacuum distributor on the spare motor.

IIRC, the distributor that had both mechanical and vacuum advance was out of a Thing. The VW freaks on here will likely confirm. ;D

Comment

Check out www.shoptalkforums.com, lots of good people on there that can help with your project.

cheers
          Ed N.
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Nice time machine.

I'd replace that rear transmission mount with a solid mount, just the way I like to do it. The rubber bonded mounts are usually just about to fail if they haven't already.

Try to keep total advance around 34*. Any more than that and that air-cooled motor may start damaging itself.

Oh, and be sure to check the oil for fuel contamination, bad fuel pumps sometimes leak gas into the crankcase. Not a good thing.

Cool ride! ;D
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
              Nice time machine.

I'd replace that rear transmission mount with a solid mount, just the way I like to do it. The rubber bonded mounts are usually just about to fail if they haven't already.

Try to keep total advance around 34*. Any more than that and that air-cooled motor may start damaging itself.

Oh, and be sure to check the oil for fuel contamination, bad fuel pumps sometimes leak gas into the crankcase. Not a good thing.

Cool ride! ;D
              I've ridden in bugs with solid mounts & it feel like you're driving a hardtail Harley.
              The mounts are soft as chewing gum, but it took 30yrs. I got rubber mounts already...
              The front mount is fine, but the bolts are electrolyzed to the housing, I'd have to grind them off. :o

Comment

Notice I only mentioned using solid on the rear...... keeping a rubber front mount keeps it dampened while stopping the motor/trans from torqueing over and ripping the rear mount again. I still run a later factory style front mount in my rail, along with a solid rear mount - rides smooth on the street and holds up to a fair amount of abuse.

Just adding my 2 cents, worth what you paid I suppose.

Comment

Notice I only mentioned using solid on the rear...... keeping a rubber front mount keeps it dampened while stopping the motor/trans from torqueing over and ripping the rear mount again. I still run a later factory style front mount in my rail, along with a solid rear mount - rides smooth on the street and holds up to a fair amount of abuse.

Just adding my 2 cents, worth what you paid I suppose.

No problem, I appreciate all the help man

That rail buggy looks like a riot!
                  What are you running in it?

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454
                    No problem, I appreciate all the help man

That rail buggy looks like a riot!
                    What are you running in it?
                    I built a 2165 (78 x 94's) forged crank, 044 heads I ported, full flow oil system, deep sump, dual 44IDA Weber carbs, weird turbo-grind cam, stock rockers on bolted shafts, 2" merged exhaust. Fuel fed with a stock pump, believe it or not. Trans is a 3-rib with hand-packed full roller bearings and steel parts replacing the plastic stuff, otherwise stock. Thing stub axles/drums and Thing axle half-shafts with Type IV CV's. Weigh's #1200 wet.

Has a few gremlins still...... can't seem to get good paint adherence to the bottom of the engine cage bars for some reason.... ???

I like your Citation. We've got a no-name 'glass buggy for putting around in with the kids, good fun. Do you have any plans to ever go to SilverLake Michigan?

Comment

I started taking the motor apart Sunday...

Left head, a little sludgy but looks good.

Right head, a little cleaner.

Bug Spray intake.

Question, are the intake flanges supposed to be bent, or did father in law overtighten them?

I dug into my parts motor a little too...

Oil fill hole is smaller & it has a fuel pump spacer, this ones a 40hp.

The fill hole on the buggy motor has the finned insert, no fuel pump spacer 1500/1600 style.

I got the numbers off both motor, & they are as follows.

Parts Motor: Numbers under oil fill tube: 6134673

Buggy Motor: Numbers under oil fill tube: B63392

I checked the oil fill tube #'s, & this is what I found.
                      The "B6" on the buggy motor is a 1970 1600 Dual relief single port.
                      The "#6" on the parts motor is a 1962 1200.

The 1200 does me no good, so I'm going to sell it to someone restoring an old VW.
                      My biggest concern was not having a spare motor, but that problem has been solved.
                      Yesterday I scored a AS41 case in like new condition. The cam looks brand new!
                      Now I can run the original motor & build a killer spare. ;D

Carbs going out for rebuild tomorrow, & I have a bunch of parts on order...
                      Getting there :D

Comment

I have a secret thing for dune buggies, especially the 60's style ones like the Manx. I've on two occassions tried to buy one. Maybe it was a good I didn't.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          I have a secret thing for dune buggies, especially the 60's style ones like the Manx. I've on two occassions tried to buy one. Maybe it was a good I didn't.
                          I wasn't thrilled about this project, & I'm the most anti-foreign car guy I know!
                          I could have went my whole life without knowing about aircooled VW's!!!
                          I even tried talking the wife out of it, but it was free (for her that is) :D
                          It's turned out to be a learning experience to say the least.
                          And it will surely be a fun ride this summer, when it finally leaks less oil lol!

Comment

I got my first taste of VW's when my old boss asked me to get the 73 Super beetle running that had been in his garage for five years. Not ever working on one before, I just used general motor knowledge and I had it running in one weekend. I especially liked buying an entire exhaust for $100 and four tires for $130.

I was going to buy it, but I discovered no one made baja kits for the Super beetles at that time, or it was twice as expensive as one with a flat windshield. I can't remember.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The intake flanges look OK to me. Little different than stock single-port flanges, but okay. The flange doesn't do any sealing, just applies pressure to the intake tube itself.

Little hint..... there is a copper o-ring type gasket that will be stuck into the head where the intake seats. Dig around a little with a dental pick and you'll be able to see it and get it out. The gasket sets come with new ones, but most people don't realize there is a gasket in there as it blends in real good with the head once crushed. Can be a cause of poor performance.

The finned insert under the oil filler? Make sure you put the new one in with the louvers opening DOWNWARDS and NOT pointing towards the crank. Make sense? Its a baffle, a windage shield if you will, designed to keep the oil from being flung up the filler and out the breather. Getting it in correctly will make a big difference.

Engine looks pretty good internally. I've been cleaning out my stash this week, and just came across 5 stock camshafts with gears in excellent shape. I'm going to toss them in the scrap metal pile as I'll never use them (haven't so far in 20 years)

If you want them they are yours for $1 + shipping. Hate to toss them if you can use them, just tired of storing them.

Comment

I got a few things done in the last week, pics coming soon...

*Shipped carb out for rebuild
                                *Fixed a stripped exhaust stud hole
                                *Blasted & painted sleds

Next step is to change the flywheel seal, & I have a few questions..
                                I read about the Torquemeister for the gland nut, BUT...

*Should I buy a new gland nut?
                                *What's another 'efficient' way to tighten the gland nut?
                                *If my crank is grooved, who sells the Speedy Sleeves?
                                *Do I "HAVE TO" remove the dowel pins to change the flywheel seal?

If you want them they are yours for $1 + shipping. Hate to toss them if you can use them, just tired of storing them.
                                I have no use for them, BUT the guys on TheSamba do.
                                Some of those guys are nuts about finding original VW parts.
                                You should be able to get more than $1.00 for them.
                                http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/index.php

Comment

Working...
                                X