No announcement yet.

Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question I had.. What do you use to seal the case & cylinders, bolts, washers etc?
    I'm using Yamabond on the case halves, thought about using it on the case/jug flange too.
    I see people using RTV, Permatex #3, Gascacinch, Hylomar, Locktite 518, Yamabond, Hondabond...
    Some folks say 'NO' RTV on a VW motor, some say use sparingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

.... those tubes are the first thing to rust.
      (that is, after the honeymoon)

... and they will just slip together like a newly married couple.

..... That gear is tough to remove, takes a special puller and some precision swearing. (this is true about the making of ex-wives as well)

.... I waited until no wives are around,

..... with soft faces that get gouged easily

Marriage trouble Stiney?
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 11, 2011, 05:03 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Nah, just healthy banter. She reads most of my stuff sooner or later, so I leave a trail of breadcrumbs. I find that getting myself in trouble is far better than simply wondering what I did wrong. I have a great wife, she can't help it she has no Y chromosome......actually I'm glad she doesn't! That would get weird quickly now wouldn't it!?

I use Permatex #3 on the case halves only. RTV under the cylinders. And on the bolts studs, I've left them bare and also RTV'd them. On a stock engine with no shuffle pins on the main studs, I think the stock o-rings do the job with no RTV needed. With a shuffle pinned case....well, those pins fit so snug I'm not sure RTV is needed on them either. But I have added it there with no ill effects. Either way, I'm definitely on the "use sparingly" side of the crowd, just enough on the surface to know its there, not a bead at all. Skim coat on both surfaces, slap them together after they barely start to dry.

The biggest thing I find on leaky VW's is the oil-drain plate. Everyone torques the heck out of those little studs, and when they leak because the plate is warped, they tighten them some more, further warping the plate. I've cured a bunch of those by simply taking the plate off and smashing it back flat with a hammer, even going beyond flat a touch to create a slight "dish" where the bolt holes are, then reinstalling with new dry gaskets and new little copper o-rings on the studs. Tighten just barely in a cross pattern, and stop while you still think its not tight enough. Those are spec'd to INCH-POUNDS, not FOOT-POUNDS, and there isn't much tightness to an inch-pound.....

That said, I actually own 1 VW that doesn't drip oil. And no, it isn't empty....
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Nah, just healthy banter. She reads most of my stuff sooner or later, so I leave a trail of breadcrumbs. I find that getting myself in trouble is far better than simply wondering what I did wrong.

Sage advice

That said, I actually own 1 VW that doesn't drip oil. And no, it isn't empty....
          no motor in it? it's like a Harley, it marks its territory (although I've yet to see a harley with a flower pot... that'd almost be as weird as a wife with a Y chromosome - not that there's anything wrong with that).

Comment

• Ha! It actually runs and drives

Come to think of it, it must be a confused VW....it leaks brake fluid from the front instead of oil from the rear. Must have been scarred as a youth, and is conflicted now.

Comment

Ha! It actually runs and drives

Come to think of it, it must be a confused VW....it leaks brake fluid from the front instead of oil from the rear. Must have been scarred as a youth, and is conflicted now.
              not that there's anything wrong with that

Comment

• The test stand is complete!

Click image for larger version

Name:	222260_2006366155297_1127949658_32383255_5246321_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	854944

I used an old riding mower fuel tank, worked out great!

Name:	225466_2006366235299_1127949658_32383256_7056201_n.jpg
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	854945

That gauge panel is teh hotness :cP

Name:	226963_2006366595308_1127949658_32383258_6974955_n.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	854946

A nice bright Oil light & Green backlit gauges :cD

Name:	224287_2006366435304_1127949658_32383257_4358090_n.jpg
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	854947

This thing kicks ass, can't wait to get the motor on it & torture the neighbors. :cP

Name:	228287_2006367075320_1127949658_32383261_3967098_n.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	854948

Name:	224257_2006366875315_1127949658_32383260_4912402_n.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	854949

Patiently for a new motor to break in...

Name:	227018_2006366035294_1127949658_32383254_6964922_n.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	854951

Assembling the case tomorrow...
                Last edited by tardis454; May 14, 2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

• Nice! I need to build one of these for my favorite neighbor harley guy who lights up the straight piped cold natured turd at 4:30a. I don't mind his bagger, but the one with the drag pipes I want to do bad things to. I figure midnight or so with an open headered 302 should do what I'm looking for. I have to be able to make it directional so it points straight at his bedroom like his garage does mine. Needs to be mobile... yeah, that's the ticket. : )
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Necessity is the mother of invention. The reground camshaft I got is throwing off the rocker geometry really bad & can't use it. Sooo, I'm selling it & buying a good used or new cam, but I need a set of lifters to go with it.

I got these gems out of a really shitty AS-21 German case. They still had plenty of margin on them so I figured wtf, I'll try regrinding them... BY HAND! I used a crappy run of the mill Harbor Freight 6" bench grinder & some heavy grit sandpaper for the final lapped finish. I managed to retain the concentricity on ALL of the lifter faces & they turned out beautiful!

Name:	251130_2044212741438_1127949658_32431407_335484_n.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	855158

Name:	250505_2044212901442_1127949658_32431408_2871727_n.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	855159

I even managed to get a really nice crown on the top of the lifter surfaces, as per suggested by VW. These lifters are 'almost' better than the 'machined' ones I got with the reground cam!

Name:	249750_2044213021445_1127949658_32431409_3865868_n.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	855160

Lapped & deburred the stems, they turned out great!

Name:	252670_2044213341453_1127949658_32431411_121369_n.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	855161

I still have to polish the inside & outside of the lifters but other than that they are done. No ones gonna tell me you can't regrind a solid lifter by hand!

Name:	251220_2044213541458_1127949658_32431412_1654970_n.jpg
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	855162

All of those years working in the machine shop paid off right here. I can pretty much do anything with metal parts because of it.

All I need now is a good used or new stock cam, & I'll be slamming the VW motor back together, FINALLY!!!
                    Last edited by tardis454; May 29, 2011, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Very nice work. I'll have to try that someday. I just had a set of lifters "reground" and when I got them back - flat with no crown. Grrrrr.....

I just got a pair of "junk" engines the other day. I can see if the cam is useable if you need me to? Its got a rod cap half way thru the top of the case so no guarentees...

Comment

Very nice work. I'll have to try that someday. I just had a set of lifters "reground" and when I got them back - flat with no crown. Grrrrr.....

I just got a pair of "junk" engines the other day. I can see if the cam is useable if you need me to? Its got a rod cap half way thru the top of the case so no guarentees...
                        I kinda surprised myself with those lifters STINEY. I noticed that as long as the lifters have not already been reground, & are all worn fairly evenly you can get away with hand grinding them back to spec. It's time consuming but it pays off big time when you're finished. I'd do a set for you if you wanted.

And yes, please check the cams (if they are 3 rivet) in your core motors too, I need a cam!!!

Comment

• So I said fuggit & spent $120 for a "NEW" cam & lifter set, that is supposed to "WORK" like it should!
                          I figure as long as the rocker geometry is good I don't care, I just want to get this damn thing running.
                          This project has been a money pit, but now I know just about everything there is to know about VW engines.
                          VW = Vorsicht Wallet

Comment

• I wonder if the new lifters will be any better than those you reground yourself?

This project reminds me a bit of my F350 - full of expensive surprises!
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              I wonder if the new lifters will be any better than those you reground yourself?

This project reminds me a bit of my F350 - full of expensive surprises!
                              I showed the lifters to a few people & no one could believe I reground them by hand.

I asked the sales rep at CB Performance what the country of origin is on the cam/lifters.
                              They said they are OEM Brazilian, which is way better then the China made EMPI crap.
                              I sure as hell don't need this cam to go flat right out of the box!!!

Comment

• I'm about to break-in the cam on a 2275. Used some special paste on the lifter/cam faces, and more zddp additive in the oil. I'm worried, but there is not much else I can do except cross my fingers. Hopefully we both have good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X