Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

My wife got a Citation II dune buggy from her dad today.
    She spent many summers riding in it as a kid, & now it's hers lol!
    Her dad built it in 73, & it has all the original 70's parts even the side curtains!
    It has a 1600 w/Holley Bug Spray kit, & what he calls a race cam.
    From what I understand the Citation II kits are somewhat rare.
    We haven't seen another one like it in Ohio. Here are some pics...

The buggy ran last year, but wouldn't start today.
    The starter went bad cranking it over to many times.
    Luckily I work at a junkyard, & got one for free.
    I put the stater in & I discovered the fuel pump isn't working.
    Time for a fuel pump rebuild kit...

I am a Chevy & Jeep guy at heart, & I've never liked VW's.
    I'd rather be working on my V8 S-10 lol!!!
    We'll see if my experience with this buggy changes all that...

Re: Wifes Citation II Dune Buggy

see if you can adapt an ecotec to the bug trans !!!!

Comment

Good score! What a neat little machine. It's hard to tell; is it based on a shortened pan?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        see if you can adapt an ecotec to the bug trans !!!!
        Ahahhahaha!!! Wish I could but the ecotec would surely snap the input shaft off.
        One of my friends suggested a Corvair drivetrain already...

Originally posted by Weldangrind
        Good score! What a neat little machine. It's hard to tell; is it based on a shortened pan?
        Thanks man...
        As far as I know its on a chopped Bug pan, I have to ask her dad.

Comment

I think thats just cool ! we were just talking about them at work when a purple manx drove by......scarey.
          Reading , Pa
          Good Guys rodders rep.
          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

DUDE! that it bad ass...I am a plymouth guy and I would turn my back on mine if that showed up on my door step...too much damn fun there...half ton of 70's goodness....drive the piss out of it...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

my first dream car was a dune buggy

Comment

sbc and a 930 trans

Comment

love it... bus axles are a common upgrade. I had a shop teacher in high school that had a rotary motor adapted to his bus axle... that rail was humbling fast - would kill the SBC even the 215 aluminum motored rails on the dunes...
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My friend came over today, & we got the buggy running....
                    It turns out the top of the fuel pump was leaking, so we sealed it with Permatex.
                    It took some bitchin & prodding, but once it got fuel to the carb it fired right up.
                    We did some timing & carb adjustments & got it to run & idle pretty good.

Heres video of it running...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

So far everything is going good with this buggy.
                    There are some hard to get at parts, but mechanically it's sooo easy to fix.
                    I'll be rebuilding the fuel pump, tuning it up, changing oil, etc... very soon.
                    The case has a seam leak, so I'll have to pull motor & use some seal string to fix that.
                    This buggy is starting to grow on me, & I'm a diehard Chevy & Jeep guy!!!

Comment

Now THAT is ultra-cool. And now I know where Darda got their inspiration for their first model car.

The latest news, sports, music and entertainment videos on Dailymotion

Rare find here in NZ..Pair of West German Made Series 10 Darda Car Darda Motor toy cars with their unique friction powered motor where you just push down & move...

My brother and I were each given one of these by some German friends in 1980, and life was never the same again. They are an incredible engineering marvel, and super fast.
                      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Super cool!

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

This weekend I yanked the motor...

My friend welded up my trans jack adapter, & it works perfect for VW motors :c)

The wiring is a mess...

Built with 70's parts in the 70's :c)

It's an old single port w/bug spray kit...

The throttle plate on the old Holley is worn out & leaking :c(

I found out it's wired for 12v, dad-in-law thought it was 6v.
                          I want to keep it single port, so my next step is to to fix the Holley carb.
                          I've seen throttle plate bushing kits, but do they sell them for the bug spray carb?

Help??? :-\

Comment

Good news on the 12V upgrade; does it still have the 6V starter? I knew an old guy that has been meaning to change the 6v starter in his buggy for 20 years. It just keeps working, even though it's a 12V system.

That degreed pulley is a good score. Do you have centrifugal advance as well as vacuum? I can't see a vac can on the distributor. I rebuilt a vac / mech advance distributor for a buddy's bus, and it woke it right up. Even so, he only static-timed it, and I think there's more in there if you use a timing light.

Comment

Originally posted by Weldangrind
                              Good news on the 12V upgrade; does it still have the 6V starter? I knew an old guy that has been meaning to change the 6v starter in his buggy for 20 years. It just keeps working, even though it's a 12V system.

That degreed pulley is a good score. Do you have centrifugal advance as well as vacuum? I can't see a vac can on the distributor. I rebuilt a vac / mech advance distributor for a buddy's bus, and it woke it right up. Even so, he only static-timed it, and I think there's more in there if you use a timing light.
                              It had a 6v starter until dad-in-law burned it up last Saturday. The degreed pulley is worn but still semi readable.
                              It does have a mechanical advance distributor. I have an original vacuum distributor on the spare motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X