63 Valiant $200 junkyard survivor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Valiant $200 junkyard survivor

Saved from the crusher with only 27,000 miles on her odometer (although some may argue she should have stayed there). All stock and 99% intact. 225 slanty that runs nicely. Originally was a South Carolina car that came to Kentucky sometime in the early 80s, she'll be a driver until I finish my other project. Working on brakes and front floors to get her on the road.

[center]

Re: 63 Valiant $200 junkyard survivor

Nice score. Some of the other project cars are similiar to yours. You'll fit in good around herel.
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

great score man...looks like it came out of grandmas garage.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Thanks guys.

Aside from the rust, the only other body damage (to the front and rear valances and dings on the door) was caused at the yard during her disinterment. Her largest missing bit was the radiator but I managed to snag a clean original from down in New Mexico for $10. The gas tank was full of crud and was damaged as well so that was replaced and a new sending unit installed while I was at it. The wiper arms were missing, found those online. When she arrived the trim rings around the headlights were missing too and since they're shared with the '64 Cuda, and rare - I didn't think I'd have much luck in finding another set at a reasonable price. Until I found them hiding under the passenger seat. :D Replaced the water pump, thermostat housing, condenser, rotor button and starter relay to get her running. I swear the dist. cap is factory original. Interior is original, seats are faded but not worn. Front floors are toast so I've got new pans to install - then I'll Dynamat and recarpet it. Getting set to do that as soon as I finish the brakes - right rear was totally gutted and missing, why I don't know. Picked up a set of 14" sbp rims for the rear off Craigslist and a buddy of mine from Georgia sent me the 14" Plymouth dog dishes to go on 'em.

Unless the motor blows up between now and then I do have plans to change the manifold and carb if I can get a good deal on an old Super Six setup. 8)

Comment

I can't believe someone was going to junk that.
          "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Here's to saving cars from the crusher. I bought my Caprice that way. Local yard had it in their lot to buy, but no one was interested. They were getting ready to take it over to the crusher when I came along.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Hell no it should not have gone to the crusher. There is a place for those, and they are still viable transportation. Not everything has to be highly valuable and sought after to be rebuilt and run more. Its like the Falcons and Comets with 6s in them, those old economy cars are unique and reliable with a minimum of effort and expense. We should all have one for parts running and daily driving.

I've been thinking of building something with a Pontiac OHC6 Sprint in it, something not a Firebird or A body. Same sort of deal, small car for getting around when there is no need for a hotrod to go pick something up.

Comment

Nicely done.

Great to see another survivor that is being well cared for.

Here in the rust belt something like this would just be beaten into the ground with my daily commute - so I live vicariously through you guys farther South and West that can run something like this.... 'course if I lived out there I'd have to put air in a rig like this - high heat, humidity and I don't get along! ;D

Here's to getting her back into daily service!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ah! 'Slanty Goodness'......you WON'T be sorry 8). Have fun 'an enjoy! ~J/W.

Comment

Working...
                  X