New guy here, old project, pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here, old project, pics

Hello all, my project has been in the testing stage for about 3 years now.
    Cause I'm stubborn wanting to run 9s with a clutch car. Rear gears and suspension didn't like it.
    I seem to have all that solved now with a new clutch, adjustable, w/ sintered iron discs.
    Anyway it's a 68 Camaro with a Procharger, 12 to 17#s boost, G-force 5-speed, Ladder bars and coilovers.
    Earlier this month I went to Irwindale and did a best 60', 1.38 ;D On my first and only pass.
    Then the track guy said I was to loud ???
    I said what? Can't hear ya.
    He said you're over 85db.
    Again, I said what? It's a racetrack, 85db ???
    I have mufflers, and I think a chainsaw makes 85db.
    For those that don't know, Irwindale is an industial area, no one lives anywhere near. So WTF cares?
    So I left, at least it wasn't broken ;)
    Here's some pics, and a vid from that night in my sig.

---Bill.

Re: New guy here, old project, pics

I have no advice. But that is sweet. ;D
    HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Irwindale can't even be called a town. It's a series of rock quarries left over from the freeway building in LA. The raceway is in the bottom of one for pity sake.

By the why I love the setup you've got. Procharger and EFI, very nice. That's what I dreamin about for my Impala. I even like how you tapped the cooler air from the cowl.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Cool setup.
        Just something I'm wonderinf about here, did you ever run a back-to-back test of how much the intercooler really helps out by connecting the SC directly to your intake?
        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

That's a serious powerplant you have there..... WOW
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Not a Chevy guy however I must say that is a very nice Camaro 8)

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
              did you ever run a back-to-back test of how much the intercooler really helps out by connecting the SC directly to your intake?
              Thanks guys.
              No, I've always had the IC. It allows some additional timing I'm sure, whatever that's worth.
              With the EFI, the IC is strongly recommended with boost over about 10psi.
              Blow thru carburators add the fuel a little earlier to the intake charge, thus cooling it some.
              For the same reason I want to spray a little 50 to 75 shot, now that my traction issues have been delt with. ;D

---Bill.

Comment

Great looking Camaro! and fast to boot. What would we ever do without the videos, good one. Are you using all the gears in the 1/4? 1:1 5th? Don't give up on the clutch, it just adds to the fun ;D

Comment

Originally posted by blu65ramb
                  Are you using all the gears in the 1/4? 1:1 5th? Don't give up on the clutch,
                  Fifth is 1:1, rear gear is a little tall @ 3.50. As I add power (more boost) 5th will see more than the last few hundred feet.
                  Gota have 3 pedals ;D.

---Bill.

Comment

Very nice car! I love it! ;D

A couple of questions... what are you using for a rear setup? I'm fighting the same issues as I want to stick to gear banging!!! I just switched to Caltracs and I havn't had a chance to see how she'll react yet with them... I'm just curious how you're hooking?

Next, are you happy with the G-Force or would you have gone different now that you've had a chance to play with it??? I've been thinking of a Jerico but right now my funds are tied up in my new 406 so I'll have to live with the M21 that's in it...

Comment

Big power with a stick is Car Junkie goodness!

Comment

Goodness or "God"ness??? ;D

Comment

Hey Bill welcome to another forum we can chat together on!
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ADV1
                            ... what are you using for a rear setup?
                            ... I'm just curious how you're hooking?
                            are you happy with the G-Force or would you have gone different now that you've had a chance to play with it???
                            At this time last year after bending both leafs and one Slide-a-Link bar, I went to ladder bars w/ coil overs. Looking back now Cal-tracks probably would have worked, heck, the Slide-a-links would have worked.
                            It's all in the clutch! This video was with ladder bars and a StreetTwin clutch, to violent, watch the wheel spin and only 4200rpm on the two step. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_pWioiI3s
                            The pic below and vid in sig, is 6000rpm launch with the same setup and a clutch from Rob Youngblood @ http://www.advancedclutches.com/
                            More info here. http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=1181

On the trans, I would not trade my GF5R for anything, it's perfect for me. The DR4 is also a good trans and very popular in clutch cars.
                            BTW a small group of stick guys talk here http://www.umtrnorth.com/forums/ please join us.

Robs clutch came allready setup ready to install, and only weighs 19 lbs. It's SFI too

---Bill.

PS Hi Andy.

Comment

That clutch set up has me drooling. Should I even ask what it costs?
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X