Nostalgia Blown Alcohol Funny Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgia Blown Alcohol Funny Car

Well I figured I'd add a project thread on the rebuild of my 1977 Monza bodied funny car. When Brian was down at the shop last weekend I had just rolled the bare chassis out of Mother Natures spray booth back into the shop. I was able to get alot of work done on it today still waiting on some rear end parts so it can be a roller again but its a start. Ill have the short block together Monday night and hopefully get the motor in this thing by next weekend

Thanks to: Dana at Camco Racing Engines.... Weymouth, MA
    and to Jon and Jonathan at Tube Chassis Designz....Hanson, MA

Blower ready to go

Re: Nostalgia Blown Alcohol Funny Car

Seeing that car come together is like candy for the soul, dude.

Do you use a pre-fab wiring kit, or do you do it the old fashioned way?

Comment

I don't know if he's using a racepak or not, but if he is and bought it new, you can mount everything and mesure how long you want all the cabels and wires and they will send them to you in the correct lengths. If you bought a used one you can send them back and they can fix them for you. All the other wiring and plumbing is done the old fashioned way. I like to swap out all the MSD connectors for Leahy stuff, and I like his crank triggers too. This is the fun part, things like color coding all the air lines for trouble shooting later, and making everything easy to inspect, clean and out of sight. It looks like you're off to a good start and it's too bad you don't live closer. You'd probably get sick of me trying to sell your blower and buying an injector though, lol.
      Thanks for the pics and keep them coming!
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Tony I will wire it up the old fashion way, spools of wire and shrink tubing.

Scott I'm for the Injected deal!! Im just to poor to learn the old fashion way ;D The blower deal makes alittle more sense right now up here only because there is a bunch in the northeast.

Comment

Man is that sweet

Comment

Aside from getting your tune up sorted out, which I can help you with, running a nitro set up can be cheaper in the long run.
            Consider valve springs that can last all year, 100 runs on a crank, and 50 on a set of rods. No blower or belt(s), or transmission.
            We can sell your blower/intake, fuel pump, clutch, and transmission and buy another mag, box and coil, clutch, manifold/injector, and fuel pump. Then send your heads back to Brad and have them drilled for dual plugs and down nozzles.
            That's usually around $350, a pump $1000, clutch $3500, dual mag drive $350, another mag, box/coil $2500. That's around $7700, but after you sell all your alcohol stuff it should put quite a dent in that. Pistons and rods, well you're gonna need that stuff anyway. I imagine you probably have a couple of spares you could sell too. You will need a 2.90 gear, and I can convert your starter to a crank mount, and get a good deal on the stuff you need for all of that, I have all the part numbers you'll ever need, as well as to where to get them. Cams....everything....We can even leave that alone for now.
            Do you have a Racepak and a Leahy box? If you don't, we can still definitely work with what you have....I still remember how to plumb and work pneumatic timers....LOL. We will just put that stuff on your wish list to get later.
            Now, let's just say you did all of that and called me up and said you had a barrel of nitro waiting for you at the track.....Now what, right?
            This is where it gets fun....How many guys do you bring with you now? Meals, tickets, beer, rooms, girlfriends, drama....lol, tell them you'll call them later when you get it all sorted out...I'll show up with one other guy, sleep in the trailer, and eat pb&j sandwitches.
            We'll make a couple of 660' runs , make a few adjustments, then turn you loose.
            I'll show you everything you need to know, what to touch, what not to touch. (mainly your fuel curve) how to turn it up, how to turn it down. When it's all said and done, you will come back after making a run, blow it out, drain the oil, lash the valves, put a new pack in, button it up, warm it up and wait to be called.
            I've gotten licenses for guys and never even changed the clutch pack and still ran '40's.
            Change the bearings at the end of the day, (3-4 runs) used one run spark plugs from one of your alcohol buddy's....I've got tons of 10.5, 6 stand, 1.75 fine spline clutch stuff and can service everything for the cost of shipping.
            I don't need or want your money, I'd do this just for the pure joy of it....I'm not trying to work my way into a job either, I want to show you how to do it. If we ever run into a problem, I can point you in the right direction and give you the numbers of who to call.
            I think there is a ton of potential in an A/Fuel Funny car right now.......even if you can't do it right now, you should still think about it.
            If you have any questions, just ask. No secrets here.
            Originally posted by TC

Comment

I was just looking through an engine picture post and found a pic that I think is yours, and it's a Chevy !!!!!
              No big deal, We can work with that too! The down nozzels on a Chrysler really give it a low end punch, but there are ways to trick it with the clutch and timing....A single mag will work to, as you know, you wouldn't be the first guy to do this. Chevys really sound different too, in a good way I think. Your total area will be a bit different, as well as pump size. What size pump do you have now? (any GPM @ ? Rpm will be fine)
              Originally posted by TC

Comment

Seeing that makes me want to buy a load of tubing and start building... Man I am DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLIN!

Comment

Well I finally got the motor in yesterday i've been waiting on the camshaft. I setup the rear with some new gears and got it back in the car. The wiring is all run. This afternoon I had the body on and off abunch of times to cut for the blower opening and I gotta cut the sides the white tape line in the pictures show where i'm thinking of cutting. Then its on to the trans. So its still in the works hoping to make it the Funny Car Supernationals at Atco NJ June 5th

You'll have to excuse my lack of photo skills :D

The trick chute mount that the Jon's came up with

After a little bit of cutting the blower fits

the white line will be the cut line

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
                    I was just looking through an engine picture post and found a pic that I think is yours, and it's a Chevy !!!!!
                    No big deal, We can work with that too! The down nozzels on a Chrysler really give it a low end punch, but there are ways to trick it with the clutch and timing....A single mag will work to, as you know, you wouldn't be the first guy to do this. Chevys really sound different too, in a good way I think. Your total area will be a bit different, as well as pump size. What size pump do you have now? (any GPM @ ? Rpm will be fine)
                    Scott my pump is a 990 flowed 15.7@4000 on Spuds bench....Ive been following the nostalgia a/fuel deal for awhile alot of cars have come and gone but there has been a few Injected BBC's....Casey Suzuki ran a killer car for a few years

Comment

Lookin good! ;D
                      Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                      X