Road Race IROC Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Road Race IROC Camaro

I vote v6 buick, because I'm sick and like to follow along as all the intricacies are figured out....

;D
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I vote 350, BUICK 350! Just like the V6 but two more cylinders and no split journals ;D After all, you're a "BuickGuy" ;) ;D
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I voted Buick 231 Turbo but I'm actually more with TSB on the Buick 350 with or without a turbo. If you truely want to do some work, get a 3800 Series II out of a later 95-98 F-body and use it. It's lighter, a bit more robust, and a smaller package. Put a turbo on that and set it way way back.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I voted for using the 305, but when that goes, it would be cool to put a budget 350 together with a Victor style intake on it with bigger injectors running through the old TPI computer. Oh.. or put your mini blower on the 305 with a carb and let 'er rip.
          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

hmmmm.... you have me thinking - I do have a 300 Buick sitting in my shop without a home ;D I also have some good heads, studs and other misc stuff for a 350 buick.... maybe a TPI 300 or 350 buick? naw... save that for a different project. I had a skyhawk with a turbo v-6 in it (blow through out of a regal) and I really liked driving that car....

the blower is in a good place - someone else's car. I sold it to buy the 455 (indirectly). I got tired of having to put the belt back on that stupid thing.... its final straw was coming off on a test drive to a good buyer (that is, one who showed me the cash).
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Where are your turbo's from your blown up chevy?
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                Where are your turbo's from your blown up chevy?
                twas a b&m blower.... not a turbo... only forced air device I have now is my air compressor. ;D

Comment

Where do you want to run it? American Iron cars are bitchin, CMC is also cool. Check this out:

I would say, pick a class, and build to the rulebook...

For transmission stuff, if you don't want to run a T-5 or T-56, you're going to need to figure out what to do with the torque arm.

Comment

i vote L67 3800 series II V6 but instead of the eaton M90 turbo it ;D

Comment

there aren't any AI races nearby - all the stuff I've seen is SCCA solo (autocross), or true SCCA events at Pacific Raceway or Bremerton Speedway.

true about the torque arm - there are several ways around that....

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
                        i vote L67 3800 series II V6 but instead of the eaton M90 turbo it ;D
                        Well sorta, start with a real F-body L36 and add the later Series III rods and L26 NA pistons and heads. Then put the turbo on it.

The NA compression ratio will make you less dependent on the turbo but not so high it'll be unusable. If you want better pistons, several vendors for the W-body sell them on the shelf in forged.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

i would not use the series 3 rods. there more brittle and shatter easier. i rather have a bent rod then an exploded rod

there is no diffrence between the series 2 and 3 N/A pistons to even bother switching them out the forged ones are not worth it few people have killed stock pistons and the ones that have have been the N/A pistons by breaking off the top ring land. forges are just a waist of money as the top ring land can still break off

the diffrence in the heads are neglidable. on the GP forums the consensis is 3 HP to the crank diffrence with the slightly larger valves

my old 2001 GPGT was making 270 WHP and was running a 12.99 for around $900 i had a stock low milage L36 that was in the car so 9.2:1 compretion, XP cam, stock L67 heads, intake, M90, 3.4" pulley (stock is a 3.8") with a 3" DP i was running stock manifolds.

that was a fun car ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                            It's here, now it's time to bench race this thing.

Inspiration is coming from the turbo mustang.... I'm thinking a turbo 231 buick powered scca car.... or would I be happier with LS power or just a solid build 350.... thoughts? In any case this will be a knuckle dragger - 4 spd T-10 or similar....
                            I voted LS. The LS seems so cliche lately. But it is cliche FOR A REASON! Light, cheap (if you're smart and can find one), and fast! This would make it handle great and get through the course quickly. You would have the most fun with it.

Comment

the plot thickens - I just met Ken Duttweiler's brother... anyway, that may influence the direction of motivation... although I'm still very tempted with a 5.3/turbo combination that takes advantage of the fact this car is already wired for multiport injection.... and now pictures...

putting brakes back on the car (this is a big improvement over my normal course which is to make it run, then fix the brakes)

I absolutely hate this color green, and my first IROC was the maroon - thus back to maroon it will go... might even be easy to strip as most of the paint just blows off

Interior is in "useable" condition

as is true with most PNW cars - no rust, just door bumper guards

I was working on figuring out why it doesn't run - fuel pump is bad..... time to cut a big hole in the floor.

Comment

I was gonna suggest a Ford 2.3L Turbo.

;D

Or turbo an Iron Duke for it.
                                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Working...
                                X