Shaggin Wagon Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaggin Wagon Project

OK, not really a project car, but I realized I don't have a thread for this car, and I'm always fixing something on her that is 27 years old, so that makes her a bit of a project, sort of, and I do have plans for her if the trade falls through

spent a couple hours last weekend buying tools to replace my front right halfshaft, I couldn't afford the other side (both sides are the same part) and when I brought this back for the core, they couldn't believe I was driving like that

the next day I swapped the wheels/tires from the Kammback to the wagon, this is only temporary as I will be sandblasting the wheels and painting them, followed by some Radial T/As when I get the money
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Shaggin Wagon Project

Black paint, Kyle...flat, semi-gloss, shiny as hell, no matter...but that car SCREAMS for black paint.

black wagon-spoke wheels, and a set of BFG All-Terrains(white letters OUT...to hell with the "professional car critics").....KC HiLighter bar on the roof and one of tose roof racks from a Dakar rally vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
      Black paint, Kyle...flat, semi-gloss, shiny as hell, no matter...but that car SCREAMS for black paint.

black wagon-spoke wheels, and a set of BFG All-Terrains(white letters OUT...to hell with the "professional car critics").....KC HiLighter bar on the roof and one of tose roof racks from a Dakar rally vehicle.
      That is my plan actually, though I doubt I'll ever get that far.
      White Letters should always face out, the T/As I want will

I do have a picture with a light bar that was too wide that I set on the roof at an AMC show

Comment

And a 401. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but, that would be something I would drive. :P

Comment

I'd gut the interior.......some form of a Rhino Liner for the floors. 4 heavy-duty bucket seats w/harnesses.....stock dashpad, but a custom gauge package. Maybe even a rollcage system(nothing too out of hand, but some for of protection in case of a rollover.....you know, something that could happen if it was actually taken OFF-ROAD).

Lose the stock plasto-mess of a grille.....black mesh, with an AMC logo "floating" in the middle(ala' Tim Allen's LT5-powered Impala SS from a few years back)..........strip the chrome from the headlight bezels, a brushed aluminum treatment for the front trim would go a long way as far as being able to "toughen up' the car's image.

Hood ornament has gots ta go.....I hear ya on the 401, Bob. This, or a late-model injected I6 from a Grand Cherokee with some for of forced induction.

Can't believe I'm saying this, Kyle, but that damned Eagle does have potential to be more than a laughingstock.

Rig broke down this morning, too much time on my hands......LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BobStuart

And a 401. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but, that would be something I would drive. :P
            Yeah, I was thinking the 401 thing as well. Last year I was looking at a 75 Sportabout on ebay. It had a 304 and 904. Cool looking car but the no money thing and lack of driveway space put an end to that pretty quickly.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

And there is a guy willing to sell me a 401, but being my daily driver, I was thinking a 4.0 would be what I would be leaning towards

I don't think I would really take this off road, at least not extreme enough to need a roll cage

I also like to keep the interior, maybe change the seats to the factory high backed buckets like my Kammback has

I was thinking a grille from the 79/80 AMXs but saying AMC or Eagle

Comment

i like the 4.0 idea.... if I had it...I would lift it...some A/T's and maybe olive drab paint...with all the trim blacked out...push bar, light bar.. gut the interior, roll cage....and it would see much trail abuse.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Make a modern Sugga:

I vote for a combo of 4.2 and 4.0 parts to make a stroker then throw a MSq EFI system on it since the stock Jeep stuff is known to be rather closed.

Doesn't the front differential bolt to the engine and cause all sorts of issues with trying to swap a V8 in there?
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                    i like the 4.0 idea.... if I had it...I would lift it...some A/T's and maybe olive drab paint...with all the trim blacked out...push bar, light bar.. gut the interior, roll cage....and it would see much trail abuse.
                    Yeah, what he said, all but the paint, I say red white and blue AMC racing paint scheme, maybe more of a Rally car look than Off-Road too.
                    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

The "rally car" idea could be good......drive system like a WRX, or a more robust version of the viscous-coupling system that was employed on the Sy/Ty GMC twins?

Either the 401, injected/huffed 4.0 ......slushbox, or paddle-shifted manual?

It'd be wroth it just for the stares of "WTF is thaqt thing?!" as it slides past in a semi-blur.....

never mind us, Kyle....we've hijacked your thread!

;D

Comment

Eagle hijack...

I don't like sticks much how hard is it to put an AW4 out of a YJ into an Eagle? I've seen AX-15s done from a quick look through Eaglesnest but no AW4's.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I'm not sure, though IIRC, an AX-15 from a Cherokee will bolt in

Comment

That is one solid looking eagle! The first burnout I ever did was in a eagle wagon! Too young to have a drivers license but I had the keys! Good times! ;D

Comment

nice.. I was wondering what the eagle kammback was driving. I like the awd cars...

I remember in high school a friend went all out to fix a 2 door Eagle into a rally monster. the bad physics could not be conquered...258ci AWD and stick shift.

I pondered the single speed transfer hacked into a real low range to go with the 2.73 diffs...and leave the rest factory. that would be something...
                              it needs one heck of a machinist I could guess.

Other than that, I would stay factory...A v8 that fits may help some side twist calm down, the six is not a happy camper unless it stays oe low power.
                              The epiphany that a 90hp subaru blew it away in every way was quite a startling moment for my friend who went all out for a rally monster car...13 inch wheeled suby goes right on by... :

The concord on the other hand, traditional looking k/a frame up front ... a hot rod can be made easily of course. to respect the rare AWD car by america, I would not hack much... it is a keeper, more than nostalgia.

I have not seen one in years here...
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X