• Show
Clear All

Re: Chevy3100's 1970 GMC C20

Man, that is truly awesome!!!!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100
      The tires are 265/75/R16's, decent size for the truck for stock height.

I would have put a cam in it BUT - if I had pulled the timing cover & pan off, I would have replaced the timing chain, then I would have pulled a main cap (because I should) and then I would have pulled a rod cap, and then low and behold, it ends up being a complete rebuild ;D I just can't help myself, so leaving it all buttoned up was the best option for getting it on the road right away (and I can build another engine to drop in at a later date when I put a 4 speed auto in it)
      Thanks! If you take the wheels off again I'd love to know if they are 16x8 or 16x7's. It looks great, not a slammed 2wd, but not a fake looking 4x4 either.
      Do you know what gears are in it? Is it limited slip rear? Have you gotten much drive time on it? How does it stop?

Looks like a fun ride! I will be looking for your input! I get my buddys 71 C20 2wd in a month for wheels&tires/power steering swap and HEI install.

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz
        Thanks! If you take the wheels off again I'd love to know if they are 16x8 or 16x7's. It looks great, not a slammed 2wd, but not a fake looking 4x4 either.
        Do you know what gears are in it? Is it limited slip rear? Have you gotten much drive time on it? How does it stop?

Looks like a fun ride! I will be looking for your input! I get my buddys 71 C20 2wd in a month for wheels&tires/power steering swap and HEI install.
        The truck has a Dana 60, 4.10 gears & limited slip, bit of a pig considering my lack of overdrive. I haven't gotten a ton of drive time in it yet, but I'm going to actually insure it here next week I think so I can drive it over the summer. In the limited drive time I have had it does stop decently considering it has 4 wheel drum brakes (ugh). THe 71 your buddy has will have discs in the front (standard in 71).

Your friends truck will probably also have the long style water pump & accessories, so switching to power steering shouldn't be to difficult.

Comment

C'mon, you can admit it. The lil guy is muscle of this team. He didn't even need a breaker bar on those old head bolts. He busted them out with that speed wrench.

That's great you have a lil guy interested in cars already. It's great to have your kid share in your hobbies. My Dad and I finally did in the last seven years of his life.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Well, an update on the ol' truck. Got it insured at the beginning of June & drove with ZERO problems for about a month and a half. Unfortunately, the old "shit happens" happened.......

Went to a wedding at the end of July, a friend of mine & let's say a few drinks were consumed. Now, being as I'm not as dumb as I was in my younger days, I ask my wife to drive home (she'd had maybe 2 beer all night). Well, I had parked the truck in a really tight little parking lot with a gate that was about the width of the truck at the mirrors + 2" on each side. Guess what happens next? Driver's side of the box - caved in on a post......

Big dent, cracked the crappy paint (really crappy paint) & destroyed the trim on the wheelwell on that side of the truck (and the trim is necessary to cover the horrific mess that is under it)

So, a little sanding time and some time with a razor and I come up with this -

Some more sanding, a dent puller, a bit of welding & plenty of filler -

Now a bit of paint

No, the paint doesn't match. No, I don't really care.... It looks closer in real life than it does in this picture anyhow.
            I painted it the horrible "moparts" Tremclad way - just sort of as a test to see how it fares over the winter. I was planning on painting my little fiberglass trailer with tremclad & a roller, thought I would see how it fared on this first since I am planning on painting the whole truck eventually anyhow.

It did turn out pretty good I have to say though, it is a lot smoother & shines more than the crappy spray job on the truck. It is a bit more yellow vs. the sprayed on paint which has a bit of a blue tinge to it.

Anyhow - now off to try and figure out my emissions mess for the truck. I took it through aircare at the beginning of summer - it breezed through the idle test, but failed the driving miserably. I changed the needle & jet in the Edelbrock carb last weekend to lean out part throttle a bit - it passed the driving test with flying colours, BUT it now MAXED OUT the hydrocarbons at idle... Ugh, I hate it when stuff changes without actually doing anything to it....

Oh yeah, and to say my son was happy to be cruising in the GMC again was an understatement (I had it sitting in my driveway for a few weeks while I worked on the bodywork mess)

Comment

Awesome!!!
              I hate that you had to do ANY body work..... but doing it the "moparts" Tremclad way could be an important tool in the future!
              (If you don't know what that means..... Start here and read for 3 years....)

How does it feel now that its on the road?
              I'm finishing up my buddys 71 C20 and its a blast to drive. Although, even with the cam and 4bbl swap on the 307, its still really lame..... Thankfully it has 4.10s!
              I'll see tomorrow if real dual exhaust helps at all, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Please let us know how the Tremclad (Rustoleum) job holds up. I'd love to see current pics of it vs. pics of it in a year. Hint hint.
                Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz
                  Awesome!!!
                  How does it feel now that its on the road?
                  I'm finishing up my buddys 71 C20 and its a blast to drive. Although, even with the cam and 4bbl swap on the 307, its still really lame..... Thankfully it has 4.10s!
                  I'll see tomorrow if real dual exhaust helps at all, but I'm not holding my breath.
                  The truck drives pretty good, there is some slop in the steering which I need to figure out, but it doesn't seem to be too bad (truck tracks straight as an arrow, but when you try turn just a slight bit at speed (changing lanes on the freeway) it seems to wander)

Other than the fact that it is always at 2800RPM on the freeway, and I tend to take it on the freeway frequently. This thing is definitely no screamer, totally stock late 80's 350, only additions are an Edelbrock carb, Performer intake, Hedman Hedders & true dual 2 1/2" exhaust w/ Flowmasters.

Originally posted by cantvalve16
                  Please let us know how the Tremclad (Rustoleum) job holds up. I'd love to see current pics of it vs. pics of it in a year. Hint hint.
                  I plan on doing that ;) Hopefully it won't be too bad, but sitting outside all winter should let me know if it will be something that is somewhat durable or not.

On a good note - I got the truck through Aircare on Saturday (our emissions program), finally passed both the driving & idle tests. Now that I've got a smog cert for 1 year I can go back and replace the jets & metering rods with parts that actually will drive worth a damn.... My little guy & I were all proud going home from the smog test station only to have the shifter linkage on the truck fall off the trans about 1/2km from our house. I pulled it over & the damn thing still engaged into park before coming apart completely.... Needless to say it was funny for the BCAA tow truck driver to tow it 1/2 a KM back to my house (there was NO WAY IN HELL that I was going to work on the drivers side of the truck on that road - too many idiots & I don't have a death wish)

Comment

Nice! Good deal on the smog check!

Oh, does your truck have power steering?
                    From the engine pic, I think I can see the return hose...
                    If not, I can tell you my junkyard parts combo for power steering.

Comment

I do have power steering - major help when parking with these tires...

Comment

Working...
                      X