X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is my newest Odd ball 1992 LeBaron 'vert

a rust free 1992 mostly original LeBaron with 137,538

it's odd just buces it's a rust free and in michigan lol

just got done replacing the 18 year old struts (car was built in june 1992 as a 1992 modle near the end of the run)

also the car is a bit of an odd ball. look at the interior.

That was only offered from 1990- 1992 it was dropped becuase it was not vary popular color combo (there was a red/white vertion that was even less popular lol)I still find the perferated leather strange. i still have not seen any other one with that

the car is also a Base modle but it's praticly loaded too the gills

Heated mirrors
    Heated rear Glass (not the stupid platic window)
    A/C
    Automatic
    V6
    Power Windows
    Power Locks
    Cruise Controle
    It had a CD/Tape deck originaly
    the rear view has map lights
    Lighted Vanity Mirrors
    Enthusiast Interior

there are two things this car does not have rear discs and the tachometer/ oil pressure guage cluster

and yes the fart cannon is next on the chopping block all ready have a Thrush turbo muffler sitting in the garage

Re: Here is my newest Odd ball 1992 LeBaron 'vert

Cool, looks like it just needs some TLC...great summer time cruising...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

When the wife and I got married we were trying to buy one of those brand new but couldn't swing the payments....she'd still like to have one.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
        When the wife and I got married we were trying to buy one of those brand new but couldn't swing the payments....she'd still like to have one.
        That shows when you really like a car. They can be had for 1500 bucks now and you still want it. I am that way with a
        Lincoin Mark VIII or 96 Impala ss.

Comment

My old boss had one in white. It's a great summer cruiser. That one looks like it spent the salty road days in the garage. Only way to explain the lack of rust and clean car overall.

The only thing I know about that era of chryslers is the V6 cars tend to break the upper front motor mounts due to the engine torqueing towards the rear of the car.

Have fun with your great buy.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

that was only an issue with the 3.3/3.8 cars being a AJ body K-car it only had the 2.2/2.5 I4 engines (turbo and non turbo) or the 3.0L Mitsubishi v6

the issue with the 3.0 is oil burning. the valve guids sink on the exhuast side and alows oil to run down when you are decelorating or at idle. and yes it burns bit after it sits for a wile with out being driven.

the car lived in indeana under a car port untill 2007(you can see the sun fade line on the trunk) then it was only rarely driven in the winter in south west michigan.

i have some plans the top is goin to have to be replaced sooner rather then later. it has some cracks and is discolored thinking of a black top for it. it will hide the dirt a bit better and will still go with the interior color

also have a new exhuast for it. it sounds good with the fart cannon but it makes me luagh every time i look at it :D

and the pass. side quarter glass is loose so i need to see if i can tighten it down or something.

and finaly the fender but that will not be for a wile

also i only paid $200 for this car techniqly. is what i did was trade the none running fire damaged Grand Prix for it. the GP was only worth scrap value. and if i wanted too i could probably get $1,800 for this car as is (i've seen worse go for over $2,000)

Comment

I have a deep seated hatred for those cars 'cause my Ex had one and I was pretty much forced to maintain it.

Shortly after doing the timing belt and a bunch of other maintenance - it over heated and i think blew a head gasket...
              never ran the same way again -- I convinced her to trade it on a mustang convertible which she totalled months later... .months after that - our relationship was totalled.

rant over -- with all that said...

Just make sure the cooling system is in good shape, and otherwise enjoy!

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

that sucks.

so far i find this alot easier too work on then a GM 3.4L DOHC engine. those are a pain in the rear

the timing belts and water pump have all ready been done on this car so i am good for a wile

Comment

well little update i got the high beams working. the relay was burnt on the inside so even though the contacs where closing they where not alowing current to go though.

also i change the factory original plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. the plug wires just fell apart when i touched them. the wires had 1992 stamped on them and they where numbered (replacements fromt he dealer are not even numbered) the plugs still had paint marks on the ends :o and yes the tip on every single one was basicly gone i was surprised the car ran.

it now fells like it gaind 40HP though ;D

i also taped my roof i was able to find some white/ cream colord duct tape it blends pretty well it will need a new top though before too long been keeping my eyes peald on craigs list for part outs and local yards but all the tops there are trashed.

every shop hear wants $1300 to put a new top on and that's if i buy the top and take it to them it would be more if they bought the top... i don't even think the car is worth $1300 if it had anew top

also wile on some dodge boards i have found out something. this car should not exist. it's a base modle with real leather interior it should only have vinal and it has that two tone. leather was only sapose to be available on Premium trim and up. wile the two tone was only sapose to be on LX trim and up. and it's not an interior swap acording to the tag this is what it left the factoty with.

this car is basicly a LX but with out the LX badging it's weird. funny thing is becuase of this it actual was more money when new then if it was ordered as a LX lol

my specualtion on this is becuase it was a late build it was right at the end of the 92 modle year and the last year for the tow tone interior that went over like a rotten fish and they had a surplus and just fitted cars with it just to use up what they had. it was not a special order car it was just one chrysler built and sent too a dealer.

Comment

ok time for more modding :o

this time the air intake ;D after looking at it and all the turns it makes i have come to the conclution it sucks.

chryslers idea is good get cold out side air in but then they hace the box sit over the rear of the engine right above the rear maniflod and valve cover. there are also at least 4 90* turns

now i thew around the idea of a cone filter it seemed to work ok on my GP but it was boosted it didn't matter what air was coming in the Eaton M90 was going to make it hot any way. so then i got to thinking and saw i pic on google of a the 3.3/3.8 box

i noticed the box is right behind the battery. with the flexy hose thing my stovk air intake has you could make a straight shot to the TB.

i then plan too wrap it in thermal tape too keep the air cool

looking at the battery box there is a bolt hole 1" ahead of the one it's using the side has the same thing. seeing as structuraly it's the same as the Acclaim/ Lebaron (4dr)/ Dtnast/ and New Yorker i believe this to be the bolt hole it uses to fit the box behind the battery. there is also some unused holes on the side of the "frame" when the side of the box can bolt to they line right up!!! some times bean counters are good

here is the box with the lid rotated 180* the ends are on an angle so might have issues. if i have to i can always cut them off and reglue them on

and here is where it will be going. it might look crowded but i think i can get it in there
                    hardest part is going to be the 2 vac lines that go from the cruise and brake boosted to a black box on the side of the battery

more tomarrow the battery hold down bolt is rusted so having to fight with that right now

Comment

in 92 they were wanting to get rid of several 91's I got offered one
                      with with many options for $10,000 I had to turn it down but it was a good price
                      kinda neat little cars
                      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

well got the intake done. do to space issues it's just a cone K&N on the end of the TB. car seems to have more HP but any thing added to the stock 141hp would feel like an improvement :D

Comment

ehh forgot about this lol

to get every one up to speed. the air box idea was a bust the baron is now rocking a cone on the end of the TB until i can cut some exhaust pipe :D

then 2 months ago the fuel lines exploded :o (not kidding it exploded leaking all of it's flamable contents all over the hot engine. i had flash backs to the grand prix it was not pretty. but no fire got it home.

decided to go to the dealer to get new rubber lines. figured the last 3.0 SOHC was used in a 1998 caravan sooo that means discontinued in 2008 being only 2 years they would still have some right? right?

wrong :no dealer had any and Chrysler's "fix" was a rubber hose and band clamps... i have this feeling Chrysler really wants people to buy new cars. any way after that i looked through junk yards nothing

then i thought AN fittings braided steel that should work ;D modded the fuel rail just fine and dandy then got to the fuel lines in between the shock tower and the engine.... who ever designed this car deserves a swift kick as there is no room > got the return line done in a week (school started didn't have time to mess with it) the supply not so much there was zero room for the flair tool :-\

hopped on summit and found some compression fittings aha! put those on all is good. (we are now too yesterday) crank crank crank crank WTF? smell gas no spark hmmmm *new plugs, and coil later* crank crank crank crank crank (damn this 10 year old battery is awesome for a never start)

got frustrated unplugged the new coil noticed the negative terminal is bent.... stupid car bend it back plug it in VROOOM black smoke erupts from the rear of the car and clears out. wile sitting though this car has gotten loud so loud my neighbor came over and ask WTF i was doing at 1am in the morning this explains why i was hungry and why it was dark out :P

shut it off and went to bed. today woke up and checked for leaks the supply has slight seeping so i just need to crank that down but the exhaust ... yeah the 19 year old welds finally said we retire the whole exhaust has detached from the cat and the cat hollowed it's self (read: vary freaking loud)

so that's it did drive it to school one last time with the top down going to put it to sleep till next spring just do not have the time to fix every thing (both front wheel barrings, driver ball joint, exhaust,rear shocks,...)

I'll get some pics up tomarrow

Comment

carry a spare fan relay with you at all times,,

Comment

been a wile sense i last updated. but the trans isbasicly dead. when it does work it just slips badly and then bangs into gear (suprisingly it's not stuck in second)

the 3.0L is not doing great eather it just consantly rus rough and has a loss of power.

so instead of just junking the car i am goiing to make it better. going to replace the A604 junk trans with a A413 3 speed auto. simple to rebuild and there pretty tough

the 3.0 will be replaced with a 4cyl turbo a 2.2 or 2.5 depending on what i can find.

good thing is chrysler made it really easy to swap out engines in the kay cars and all i really need is to do some wiring but it should just be a drop in plug and play deal. the trans shifter even has the proper number of gates and will work fine withthe 3 speed ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X