No announcement yet.

Project Franken-Riviera -1964 Buick Riviera-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsquirt on the way! Also swapped the cars around as the Riviera isn't going anywhere till I resolve this transmission control issue so it's in the shed and the Mercedes is now outside.

Because the cruise in season is basically borked for the year I'm awefully tempted to get the engine out again and do a good inspection of it before repainting and resealing it but we know how "while I'm at it" things go when you're that deep into things. First priority none the less is getting the Mercedes rear seats in there and getting seat belts for the kiddos so regardless of when it goes for a drive, the family can come with me!
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• do the three light switch thing so you can move it around... it's when they're parked they get bewitched.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Microsquirt arrives today! Might wire it up next week when I take some time off from work. Been pulling 10-15hr shifts for seems like months.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Well it did arrive and all I've had a chance to do is test fit that it'll reach across the inside of the dash to get from the mounting point to the cable exit and start planning the cabling through the firewall. Going to use the old leaking 4L80E bulkhead plug for most of the wires passing through as it's the same OD as the old speedometer cable hole and I've had a bushing 3D printed to take up the thickness difference. Another upside of using this plug is the harness side uses the same pins as the ECM so I just need to pull them out of the ECM harness and put them into the plug body.

I've spent most of the rest of the time carefully pulling the power window system out of the CL600 along with the front and rear seats, seat belt presenters, and trunk latch system and then fabbing up stuff to make it into a driving car again to send it off to it's new owner as a running parts car. Was about to breath a sigh of relief and start pulling the dash out of the Riviera when a friend told me he's cleaning up his personal scrap yard of cars and if I want anything off of his cars to start planning that... I'm getting the rear suspension and wheels off of his Q45 as the track width is almost spot on for where I want it to be (i.e. wider than stock) and unlike most IRS systems it bolts in with 4 large bolts and all of the links (it's at least 3 links per wheel) bolt to the subframe vs. the body. I'd just have to figure out how to reinforce the shock mounts on the Riviera frame to make them work with the coil overs or build tubular links to put the coil overs in front of the wheels to use the stock spring seats.

Got to love near free parts I'm stockpiling but it does mean I've got a ton of work to get at least the interior fixed up.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Been a busy time and been otherwise busy during most of my off of work times (sometimes just sick from running on something the felt like 5x11hrs for weeks) but I've made some progress.

Engine side of the wiring harness for the microsquirt is 90% done, mainly wiring in the power distribution on the ECM "on" power wire that also powers the transmission and splicing into the relevant shared sensors. Cabin side is about in the same story; main line work is done and the various mounting brackets made, painted, and installed. However the detail wiring work for power and ground, dash harness for the speedo output, and the brake pedal sensor aren't done. I hit a major mental block at looking forward to doing the wiring work and had to go to do something else.

That something else was getting the Mercedes rear seats into the car. The bottoms were pretty simple, only had to trim one of the support nubs to account for the unequal height of the Rivera floor pan across the back seat and fab the rear seat mounts that the fronts pop over. Considering the car was hand made on jigs (as was almost everything till the 70's if you think about it) there was a lot of asymettry between the two sides so the mounts I made for the drivers side patterned off of the passengers did not match and I ended up having to redo them and more whincingly the holes for the screws that hold them in place till I weld them in. Hate drilling extra holes in sheetmetal. The backs have been dogging me for a month now that work has picked up again and I'm once again spending M-Th working 10-12hrs and then spending Fri catching up on all of the details and chores I've missed. This weekend I was finally able to fabricate the filler piece that holds the seat cushion off of the wheel well since the CL600 had a longer cabin so the seats were entirely in front of the wheel arches. I had a spare rear, somewhat rusty, seat frame from a parts Riviera that I was able to trim the arch contour sections out of and then fit to the hole in the fiberglass seat backs off of the Mercedes seats. It ended up nearly perfectly matching distance of the original cover retainer system so it stretches back over and looks smooth!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210411_185446807.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	954.2 KB
ID:	1291937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210411_185441999.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	907.2 KB
ID:	1291938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210411_185431954.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	858.9 KB