Project Franken-Riviera -1964 Buick Riviera-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Franken-Riviera -1964 Buick Riviera-

Hmmm... I think thats right. I'm honestly going to keep the original nailhead, its original to the car and I am prepared to say this was an adventure in too much weight for not enough displacement if it doesn't turn out to be fun to drive which then the Nailhead will go back in with EFI. Call Carmen Faso in Tonowanda, NY
    Carmen Faso
    716.693.4090 -
    J&C's Parts
    7127 Ward Road
    North Tonawanda, NY 14120
    He's about the best there is for Nailhead stuff and would be able to answer more questions and probably give you more parts leads than I can.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The soon to be wife and I have flat decided that there will be no minivan's or non offroad SUV's for our family. We will be doing a station wagon of some sort, I'm thinking a classic and she's not opposed. I might use the nailhead for a '58 Buick Caballero if I could find one. I could actually use a lot of the spare Riviera parts like the rear axle, nailhead and transmission, and maybe the front seats though I think I'd go for a bit more modern and grippy seats.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll call him ASAP.

Dan

Comment

17 June Update:
          Big setback. The B-body tank is too wide at the back. Its not wide by much so I'm going to cut out part of the bumper bracing to move it forward another inch maybe then evaluate how much I have to cut out of the boxing piece of the frame and how I'd put a doubler back in on Thursday. Its close enough that I'm pretty sure the tank will work though I am going to have to add a dog house in the trunk floor which will be nice to use to access the fuel pump and sender unit anyway.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

What did you take the v6 out of and why mess with the interior of a 64 rivy.It was like space age styling for its time man!!!!
            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

The V6 is a hybrid of an '84 Electra 4.1 (3.965in vs a 3.8L 3.8in bore) block and '86 LC2 (that's T-type and Grand National) top end. The crank is an Eagle neutral balance forging, rods are K1 4340 forgings, pistons are custom Diamond 3.995in bore forged slugs.
              The interior is largely stock save the replacement of the radio panel with 4 Autometer gauges so I can see what is going on with the standard stuff, a 5in tach in the old idiot light and fuel gauge cluster, and a boost gauge in the old clock position. I am considering changing to 96-02 Cadillac Eldorado seats for something with a bit more side bolstering as well as some added amenities but unless the pull-a-part has them for cheap now I'll be saving that for much later.

Update 19 June:
              The tank now fits between the frame rails. I cut a 4.5in by 3in section out of the "boxing" pieces of the rails and didn't touch the main rail metal. I plan on putting gussets back in to reinforce the area just before I final mount the tank. Looks like I'm going to need about a 0.75-1in doghouse to fit the sender and pump assembly into the trunk pan so that the tank will sit flat on the rails. Also found out that the filler neck is too long so I'm going to have to cut it down then weld the flair back onto the end of the pipe to hold the hose on.
              I also got the grill, headlights and the AC compressor off the car and drained the coolant and oil out of it. Tomorrow I'll be tackling the transmissoin fluid, pulling the radiator and AC condenser, and pulling the rest of the exhaust off.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

20 June Update:
                The Nailhead is Out! My NCOIC and another former USAF maintenance guy came over and we pulled the nailhead out with out much incident. The only real trouble we had was the shift linkage was bolted in under the trans mount on the case so it bound up when we were pulling it out and I had to get out the big ratchet to get the bolts loose and get it all out. Otherswise it keep peeing coolant everywhere and ATF is a mess but its out and on a 2x4 cradle with no big fuss. It does look like I'm going to have to put the chopped springs or get new ones in or I'll be rolling left coast taildragger style with the 300-400lb lighter V6. I also found that the threads in my aluminum oil filter block are so baddly mangled by the cheap harbour freight tap that I'm going to have a machine shop oversize the hole then press and tap a steel insert for the 3/8in NPT fitting.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

More setbacks...

24 June Update:
                  Well since the only real way to get the heater out of the car is to pull the firewall box off then pull it out, which is practically impossible with an engine in the car, I decided to check mine to see if it was in good shape while I had the engine out... well what was in there was in good shape but it was held up with cardboard and they had cut the firewall in a few places and bent it out of the way then back again to get it in there!!!! This pissed me off so I moved on to putting the new heater louver cable in and when I was threading it through the firewall... the plastic adjuster snapped! So I got totally pissed off and got out the raisor blade and cleaned the sealant off of the suitcase and then hammered it back flat. The last bit of work I did before I was done with it was to glue the foam seal back onto the louver door that blocks the air from going through the heater core when the AC is engaged.
                  I think I'm just going to order a new heater core and see if it fits better and try to once again find a cable that's not so old the plastic adjuster snaps.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I feel your pain, I have one of those cables out of adjustment on my T-bird for the fresh air vent and the plastic seems rusted :P together and I'm afraid to break it :'(
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Well I found out the heater core is correct for the car and the people who did the old replacement were just ham fisted with the "easy" way of doing it which I honestly probably would have copied if I had to. The only problem they did was the using the cardboard to remount it. However the cardboard is dry and not coolant stained and the core looks good. Tomorrow I'll see about mounting it back properly.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Buick put V6s in sixties Rivs ?? I don't think so

Comment

I want to open a business to install LS motors in EVERYTHING !!

Comment

There is already one out there, HRM article on the Rivette. Keep that idea off of my thread though.

No Buick didn't put a Riviera V6 in till 1979, I don't know what you are talking about with that comment. This is most certainly a custom job that I'm now waiting to get bolts tomorrow for the first test fit.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

If you can,lets see some pics of the progress.I think the v6 is a sweet mod with todays fuel quality and the reliability of them over old wildcats and 455s.keep it going!!!!!
                              Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Its tough to work alone and take photos. I was planning on having a buddy who's a proffessional videographer and ameture photographer over for a week of wrenching and documenting but he had to back out. I'll see if I can't take some pictures to show where I am.
                                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                                X