Project Franken-Riviera -1964 Buick Riviera-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Franken-Riviera -1964 Buick Riviera-

For stuff I've been doing in the mean time, check my "3 Steps Forward. 2 Steps Back" Thread:

More on the other exhaust, wiring, and fuel system work when I get the pictures taken and uploaded.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Sorry that I haven't checked your thread for awhile. You really have made some great progress. Any guesses as to how many horses it'll have?

Comment

Thats some project you have there. Id like to see some more pictures if possible.

Comment

Will try to get some pictures this weekend but with bad weather, closed garage door means poor lighting. I'm going to make a serious stab at finishing up some wiring and exhaust issues so I can start taking it apart for some fixes and rearrangement late this month.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Picked a bad weekend to think I was going to get much done. Yesterday was making up for loosing last weekend to snow and today is the Superbowl so no work done either. Pictures later this week. Any requests as to what ya'll want pictures of?
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

The rest of the car .How about one with the hood open from the front .Id like to see what it looks like in there.
              Very interesting. ;D

Comment

I can handle that, its amazingly tight in there. Mostly because of the A/C compressor hitting the suspension if I push the engine back to where I really want it. If I could reengineer the accessory drive, I could scoot the engine back around 3.5in or more and get it fully behind the balljoint axis and get enough room for less snake like intercooler tubing! Part of the whole reason I'm putting the M3 vents in the fenders is to let the heat out from under the hood since the area behind the radiator is so congested.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Finally got a day of good weather, home before dark, and nothing else going on!
                  As requested Engine Bay pictures
                  From the front

From the passengers side

From the drivers side

AC compressor clearance

Spent the day finishing up the crossover pipe, messing with oil cooler plumbing, test fitting the turbo (instead of the dummy that's going in there at first), and taking things apart so tomorrow I can pull the engine on a guaranteed good weather day. Need to put it on the stand for oil pan baffle adjustment, redo the drain plug seal, and fab the wastegate plumbing. The engine bay is going to get a scrub, paint, and some adjustments of things I installed with the engine in place where I can now
                  route them more cleanly.
                  The list till it's running is now down to wiring that braid in, redoing the oil plumbing with the cooler installed, mounting the shifter, and building mounts for the internal modules and fuse box.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Definately now what people are going to expect when you open the hood :D I thought my engine bay had a lot of wiring and hoses ;)
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                      Definately now what people are going to expect when you open the hood :D I thought my engine bay had a lot of wiring and hoses ;)
                      Well part of it is the fact I rememberd the pictures after I had started to take stuff off for disassembly. Vaccum operated HVAC system with all the hoses out in the open. The harness is a largely uncut L67 harness so lots of unused stuff is still in it but I don't want to cut it down quite yet. Most of it will be tucked up in the inner fenders after I'm done.
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

21 Feb 2010 Update:

I finished up taking the wire harness off and managed to get it all of without breaking anything more than a souldered splice on the VSS wires where I forgot to unplug them. I'm seriously thinking about pulling the #2 O2 and a few of the emission plugs out as they just dangle in the way. I think had to rig up bolts to hold the backer wrench in place as the pregnant wife isn't up to the strength or flexibility she was when we put the engine in to get the motormount bolts out. After getting the engine out and on the crane then down on the ground I realized that I had totaly forgot to pull the converter sheild or undo the converter from the flexplate, DOH! Up in the air again it does and I crawl under it to undo the sheetmetal screws holding the sheild on and then put a rachet on the crank bolt and the flexplate bolts to get it out.

I know DF and ChadFlunky say the biggest messes come from ATF but I swear that coolant is just as bad and hide in far more places in a block than ATF seems to come out of a tranny. I made 3 big messes today pulling the radiator, block out of the car and then block onto the engine stand. Tomorrow if I have time (doubtful) I'll put the sockets and wrenches back in the toolbox and get to work cleaning up the mess I made today.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Wow! It really is crammed in there. Is the front clip off the car?

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                            Wow! It really is crammed in there. Is the front clip off the car?
                            Yeah, its off so I can route the wires under the fenders and the nose had to come off to get the radiator and such out. I had an idea yesterday about getting the engine set back farther but I'm a bit committed to this arrangment now since I'm moving in Aug and I need it running enough to make it corss country on its own.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

6-7 March Update

Well this thing is getting powered to go to the local cruise-in and around the area but its not going cross country. Not enough time to debug it.

Flipped the engine over and pulled the pan off to find the interference. Looked on the baffle and no marks. Totally stumped so I put the pan back on rotated it over again, still hits so I left it where it was hitting and dang... it's hitting the pan! Looks like the rodbolts on a stock rod 300 are shorter than the capscrews on my H-beams and the #1 was digging up the nose of the pan pretty good! So I beat it with a hammer to get it to clear though it might have to clearance it some more to give me some more room in there. I also tested out my new Lokar "Eliminator" threw the floor gas pedal. It's honstly identical to the stock pedal except for its size. I'm debating whether I want to try to splice the 2 together like I am the megashifter action with stock handle or just leave it alone. Time will tell on that one.

I also checked the clearance for switching from an R4 to a Sanden style compressor, it looks like it'll fit if I machine the bracket down and build an adapter to pick up 2 of the 4 R4 bolts for a front adapter place then attach the rear bracket to the headers.

Sometime this week I'm going to reorganize the power steering and main charging cable and start scrubbing down the frame rails for a shot of flat rustoleum primer and krylon low gloss black. More pictures I promise!
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Pictures tomorrow, it started raining tonight.
                                13 Mar Update:
                                Today was a very good day with working on the house to get ready to put it on the market. Got my busted piece of the fence down with very little trouble and cleaned up some of the inside stuff getting ready to work the walls tomorrow.
                                Double checked my clearance on the pan with no gasket to make sure it wasn't going to get close and it's fine. I then rotated the engine over to TDC on #1 and marked the balancer then set the cam sensor at ~25deg ATDC. Tightened up the backer nuts on the ball flanges for the headers so I can weld them on tomorrow (stripped 1 out so backing all of them). Rerouted the main power cable clear of the brake distro box. Cut the offending parts off of the Taurus fan shroud. Drilled the hole and welded the bung on for the WBO2 sensor. And finally ran the braided wire.

It was a busy but not rushed day. Better than having to replace a water heater like I had to earlier this week. Looking forward to tomorrow so I can weld those nuts and mess with more of the exhaust work. I do promise pictures of what I did today and tomorrow.
                                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                                X