Project Franken-Riviera -1964 Buick Riviera-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    IIRC, all the main body power on the Riv flows thru the horn relay. I think that might screw up the trigger wire to the starter from the key. Anyhow, if that circuit is still in place on yours it might be worth a look.

Dan
    Been thinking about this Dan. The key is powered by the body harness but the signal off of it runs through a wire to the rear mounted solenoid. It could be that the solenoid is pulling too much power through the trigger wire to the starter itself (though with the replacement solenoid I doubt it) and tripping something on the body harness but that still doesn't explain why the main power seems to cut off since the main bus point is on the constant hot side of the solenoid where the 12V+ to the front of the car and the battery cable meet. I'm going to get the new battery tonight and see what happens.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• It was the battery. Swapped it out and though it was hard to start after sitting for so long it did crank over and clatter a bit till the oil pressure came up everywhere. The vacuum caps on some of the ports are starting to dry rot so need some silicone ones.

Thanks for the help! Will get it put away, so I can work on it as well, tomorrow.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Great! Sometimes (often) it's the simple stuff.

Dan

Comment

• Tires are too low and I don't have a compressor, front brakes were dragging very baddly, wheel bearing need a good regreasing, and the parking brake cable was too tight and partly engaged. All of that added up to it not wanting to move without gassing it and it would stop instantly when you let off. Also found that at some point the ground cable had pulled out of it's frame bracket and the battery was grounded through the exhaust pipe! That was likely what wiggling the wires suddenly brought power back!

Anyway, it's in the garage now on car skates!

Unfortunately some of the wiring for the transmission also got wrapped up in the rag joint in the steering collumn so now I have to repair that as well as splice the harness pieces together... sigh. Anyway it's in the garage which means I now can actually work on it. At least the new drain plug did fix that oil leak.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Those look like my HF car skates. I learned that I had to lube the snot outta them for them to work acceptably. I shot spray grease into the axle areas and also in the pivots. They work MUCH better after that.

You're lucky to have a helper!

Dan

Comment

• You'll get there.... Biggest problem with older cars or any car is non use ... Wife's Suburban doors were always sticking, once I started using it, it works fine..

Comment

• This town is eating batteries! The one in my Saab just died...

Truth be told though, both are on thier second battery already. Riviera I can understand as the wiring could be questionable however the Saab is just downright frustrating. Might be getting a new alternator for it.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                  This town is eating batteries! The one in my Saab just died...

Truth be told though, both are on thier second battery already. Riviera I can understand as the wiring could be questionable however the Saab is just downright frustrating. Might be getting a new alternator for it.
                  Well I've not had a chance to put the meter on the Saab but will get to that this weekend. I'm thinking the Alternator is weak though and the car is running largely off of the battery. Works great after its been on the charger all night and this morning after not being on the charger all night it was still fine in starting. I probably don't help it in that I drive ~1mi to and from the train station most days and that's about it. Too bad the stupid alternators are ~$150 for a rebuilt unit!

On the Riviera, got the parts sitting there to start replumbing the transmission cooler lines at some point. Goal this weekend is to get the hoses built and the relay base repinned for the Sol B inversion. Really going to go over the hard lines and replace any lines with a kink in it. Wondering if the lack of power to the wheels has to do with bad restrictions in the trans cooler lines.
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                    Tires are too low and I don't have a compressor, front brakes were dragging very baddly, wheel bearing need a good regreasing, and the parking brake cable was too tight and partly engaged. All of that added up to it not wanting to move without gassing it and it would stop instantly when you let off. Also found that at some point the ground cable had pulled out of it's frame bracket and the battery was grounded through the exhaust pipe! That was likely what wiggling the wires suddenly brought power back!

Anyway, it's in the garage now on car skates!

Unfortunately some of the wiring for the transmission also got wrapped up in the rag joint in the steering collumn so now I have to repair that as well as splice the harness pieces together... sigh. Anyway it's in the garage which means I now can actually work on it. At least the new drain plug did fix that oil leak.
                    Can ya'll see the video? Noticed I had an email about activating it or something.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Worked for me.

Dan

Comment

• It works over here in Norway too

Comment

• So, 1 week in the garage more or less and...

It's still leaking something. The drain plug looks dry but something is leaking off of the crossmember and I think the side of the pan. Either the gasket is leaking or I've got a front cover leak. Either is possible.

I did make some small steps for getting ready to wire the transmission in though.

The plug with the wires is for the Sol B inversion and I'm considering getting more of the crimp on terminals and making new harness bits for the trans and two of the other relays will be used for headlights.

Trans cooler lines. The existing ones rub on the downpipe and steering linkage so they will get replaced.

Hardline end. Earl's 5/16 tube to AN-6 hose adapters.

Transmission end with the Pure Choice banjos because I have near 0 tunnel clearance with conventional fittings with low profile 90's on them.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Put white paper down to see what color the leaky stuff is.. Then you will know what leaks

Comment

• Finally got back to work on this. Been fabbing up the harness for the 4L80E from the transmission back to the ECM, there will be quite a few splices in the harness but that is the way things go on a low budget approach at this point.

Drained the transmission pan and I might have had it over full (though maybe it's all just drained back into the pan over the last 5 months) as it started leaking out the bolt holes the moment that gasket separated from case. Anyway, it's dripping away so I can double check the seal on the electrical connector and swap the shift shaft for a long one to operate the gear position sensor.

Best guess on the leak seems to be power steering fluid or coolant. Will have to look again once I get the harness and transmission cooler lines done.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• That pan drain thing is why I ALWAYS install a drain when I have a trans pan off. It just doesn't make sense not to! I have my ways.......

Best of luck on this.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X