Capri Road Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capri Road Racer

I recently re aquired a car I sold a year ago, a 82 Capri 5.0. My and a friend have passed back and forth a couple times. The plan is to be a NASA Camaro Mustang Challenge car when complete. But first I have no road racing exsperience so I need some track time and want to do some HPDE events yet this year and get my lisensing started. First I want fix some stuff thats wrong (new brake hoses, rack, oil leak, new tires) and get some track time. Then when I get up to speed add bigger brakes suspention upgrades cage much like Matt Kings build of a CMC challenge car. The car is very solid but looks to have been in a hail storm, interior is crap, and is damn ugly.

Re: Capri Road Racer

Awesome build idea Shawn. I've always like the fender/quarters on Capri's, the bubble hatch glass looks cool too, but weights a ton, lucky yours is the flat style.

By what I've learned building the Pace Car over the last 6 months, I say the first thing you should do is find a 94-04 donor car for the front suspenion, rear axle, all the brakes, steering, etc.

Does the car have a T-5 in it now?

Any local/close by SCCA autocross would be a great way for seat time, without needing to go crazy on the up-build.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I will be watching this one close I have always loved the Capri. Please keep up with cost, I would like to what it takes to build one.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13
        Awesome build idea Shawn. I've always like the fender/quarters on Capri's, the bubble hatch glass looks cool too, but weights a ton, lucky yours is the flat style.

By what I've learned building the Pace Car over the last 6 months, I say the first thing you should do is find a 94-04 donor car for the front suspenion, rear axle, all the brakes, steering, etc.

Does the car have a T-5 in it now?

Any local/close by SCCA autocross would be a great way for seat time, without needing to go crazy on the up-build.
        I was thinking of runing the latter front spindles (for the 5 lug and sealed bearing) along with mach 1 or cobra front brakes, and 94-04 rear brakes. And am thinking about using the Maximum Motor sports kit like Mat King used. It has a SRod 4 speed right now soon it will have a 5 speed. I am hoping that by late July I can run Mid Ohio or Joilet IL. NASA event (my work cooperating of course)
        Originally posted by Russell
        I will be watching this one close I have always loved the Capri. Please keep up with cost, I would like to what it takes to build one.
        I will keep the prices posted ;D

Comment

One suggestion I'd make is to add a power steering and engine oil cooler to your to-do list. If this is going to be a track only car, use the headlight areas to mount them for alot of air flow. I found the lower air dam for the Pace car on Ebay, and after installing it I opened up the stock front valance for max airflow to the radiator (speaking of which, buy the biggest one you can get). Road racing makes heat, so if you deal with getting rid of it in the build up, it won't ruin your track time.

Kenny Brown has some nice front brake cooler ducts for SN-95 spindles too.
          Our passion is building and driving well-balanced, exhilarating, fun-to-drive high-performance sports cars, track cars, and race cars. Our focus is delivering you a very personalized and unparalleled driving and customer experience by making your car dreams and driving ambitions a reality.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I didn't know that he was back in business. That's great.

Comment

nice i always like the capris more then the mustangs

if i ever get another fox it will be another SVO or a capri

Comment

I always wanted a bubble hatch capri, I think they look damn cool.

Comment

Step 1 is underway. fix whats broken or not working and try to make it to Mid Ohio for the late July NASA event. Replacing brake hose, wheel cylinders, calipers, new belt and radiator hoses, new plugs cap/rotor and wires. Including a new battery I am up to $250 plus the $300 I paid for the car.

Comment

Add another $200 for a set of tires bringing the total to $750. But this should be it until I start upgrading things.

Comment

Working...
                    X