No announcement yet.

Rusted beast (66 chevy C10)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might take you up on that. I will see what comes with it. I believe it has all sorts of extras coming with. I will let ya know tomorrow
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Comment

Nice job, Steve! I'm impressed! I thought I was the only idiot that tackled crazy $tuff like this.

Carry On!!!!!

Dan

Comment

Quite amazing. Keep it up and you'll be on par with Thumper.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

No not quite in the same ball park with Thumper

sooo I broke the rear doing burnouts at a friends shop last night. I think I have the carb set up for mid and full throttle. Mash it or ease in to it the AF pulls steady from 14.00 to 13/12.8. The truck really moves. Partial throttle an it goes dead lean 16/17. I don't like it, going to play with it a little more. Shouldn't be a hard fix .

By the time I got home the whole truck was shuddering. I stuck it in reverse to back up the drive and clunk. Nothing was moving. My supper cool neighbors were out back drinking and helped me jack the rear and do the push/pull with the ass end on the jack.

The parts truck to the rescue. The rear out of it is a posi of unknown origin. I started the pressure wash/disassemble process late tonight in a raging thunderstorm. The wife unit thinks I am nuts (she picked me who is nuttier now)
          Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

No burn out pictures! Its always great to have a parts truck! Hope the new rear last longer!
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Better to frag the rear end close to home when you have a spare - than out on the road who knows how far from home.

Great work on all the steel patching - did you use the doors as a guide to getting the cab lined up right before welding?
              A friend had a bunch of work done on his jeep - when he got it back after paint - his steel / glass doors that went with the hard top no longer fit the door openings in the tub - so he had to buy a whole soft top kit for it - and those doors didn't fit too well either- live and learn.... this is why I ask how you did yours - that's some pretty major surgery you performed doc!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Steve's smarter than the average bear. John - we gotta get you to Wilmington, OH so you can meet up with a bunch of BS folks including Steve. Lee must be getting old enough for a road trip and Mrs. Milner is welcome, too.

Dan

Comment

Russell Your right the burnouts were an impromptu thing and not out of the norm for this guys shop. On the rear it won't. (see pics)

John I looooove usaa towing insurance. Didn't have to use it this time.
                  On the top... The doors I have are pretty nice pieces. I used them for rough alignment and cross referenced the measurements from white and red cab. The initial tweak/alignment was done with a port-o-power and come-along. I shouldn't have pushed on the drivers A pillar as much as I did. It really racked the whole cab and added about two hours of labor. I am 90% happy with the job. At the shop in Montana this is thought of as routine, in Annapolis people look at me like I have lobsters growing out of my ears.

Dan by that do you imply I no longer destroy trash cans in search of dinner and use TP instead of squirrel's. (you would be wrong by the way)

Sooo. The rear end out of the parts truck.

Spent some time cleaning it up. no pics we all know what a pressure washed/wire wheeled rear looks like.
                  I wrongly assumed it had a locker in it because it was locked up side to side.
                  Pulled the cover and YUCK. A former owner Lincoln locked the rear and poorly at that. Some people are asshats. Who welds a rear dif and doesn't clean out the slag? Who does it with a stick in the first place? This thing is going to make it ten feet and die.

I cleaned it out with a can of break clean and will probably hit it with another. The plan is to install the lincoln rear and work on the other where I can get to it.
                  I wonder how long it is going to live?
                  Last edited by rightpedal; June 7, 2013, 05:44 AM.
                  Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

I was surprised how long the 10 bolt in Seth's malibu ran for after I mig welded it - I welded the side gears to the case as well as doing the teeth filling as shown in your pictures.
                    rectal cranial inversion indeed.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That Lincoln posi can last, can not last.... Seen it both ways ..
                      That is how I do my kid's derby cars.. Usually add a bolt on one side so not much welding needed
                      Cornering with heavy loads will kill it..
                      The kid did that on his Blazer with 44's up front and broke an axle..
                      I've seen spots welded on the spider gears and that gives slack, helping longitivy

Comment

Funny enough I am not worried about the gears. Its the slag and splatter from the weld that was never cleaned out. I think they just welded it and slapped the cover back on. There was a lot of crap in the bottom of the housing. The pinion "pauses" when you spin it. I will hit it with the break-clean again and am toying with the idea of pressure washing the internals.

Bob Yea this is how we did it on all the wheelers. The only one that failed was my old blazer. Caddy 500 motor with a 14 bolt. Doing donuts with the intent of destroying some old mud hawgs. That truck used to spit out 1350 u-jonts like crazy. I half think that is what did in the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          I was surprised how long the 10 bolt in Seth's malibu ran for after I mig welded it - I welded the side gears to the case as well as doing the teeth filling as shown in your pictures.
                          rectal cranial inversion indeed.
                          Where is Seth? Haven't seen him or Dave in a while.

Comment

So the the rear is in...... and broken. Spent yesterday swapping out rears and fixing some odds and ends. Took it out last night cruised around for a while and the pumpkin was getting real hot. I am guessing all the slag that had embedded itself in the bearings. The group consensus was to see how much the welded spider could take. Tacked it up to 2700 ish let the clutch go and bang. I managed to twist the entire center section up at a 45 deg angle. The cool thing is I think the welded spider held together.

This is new damage to me. Has any one else seen a rear break the plug welds at the tubes?

Pictures later today when I change out rears again. I got to be easier in my junk. I am running out of spares.

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
                              So the the rear is in...... and broken. Spent yesterday swapping out rears and fixing some odds and ends. Took it out last night cruised around for a while and the pumpkin was getting real hot. I am guessing all the slag that had embedded itself in the bearings. The group consensus was to see how much the welded spider could take. Tacked it up to 2700 ish let the clutch go and bang. I managed to twist the entire center section up at a 45 deg angle. The cool thing is I think the welded spider held together.

This is new damage to me. Has any one else seen a rear break the plug welds at the tubes?

Pictures later today when I change out rears again. I got to be easier in my junk. I am running out of spares.
                              8.8's have a bit of history with twisting tubes. BBR's thread discussed a while back, he welded the tubes I believe, but it's been a WHILE back. You're not alone, don't feel bad. Or ... feel bad because you're not the first one...? Sorry to hear it.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Not great. Lincoln locked rear went skyward and spit out the drive shaft. I am miffed it dented the shaft. Clean break on the welds. I might try and reset the rear and weld it back up.

The good news is the original rear I thought I destroyed is in pretty good shape and its a posi. It was so loose you could not tell. The bearing shim on the passenger side had worked itself loose and one of the spider gears was missing its thrust washer/bearing. The combo was causing all kinds of clunking and chatter. the gears were locking up because of the bearing shards. I pulled the whole thing apart and pressure washed the crap out of it to flush all the pieces out. Every thing is looking good. Ordering shims and seals from toms today.
                                Last edited by rightpedal; July 22, 2013, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X