Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Engine, Little Tires, Little Nitrous...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My V8 powered RX-7 street toy

WOW!!! Nice fab skills, that car is beautiful ...

We need ET and MPH #'s though. Will you be putting a 'cage in it anytime soon?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
      WOW!!! Nice fab skills, that car is beautiful ...

We need ET and MPH #'s though. Will you be putting a 'cage in it anytime soon?
      Thanks.
      6's at over 100, don't want to get more specific than that. It's just a street and grudge nite toy, built for places where there is little to no track prep ;)
      No cage plans until it goes into gasser mode.

Comment

Originally posted by weedburner
        Home track was Skagit Speedway in Alger, WA
        Here's a link to some of my unusual Dirt Late Models... http://grannys.tripod.com/4rotor.html
        Weedburner,

That is some fabulous engineering with the 4 rotor car -- thanks for the link. Having been formerly involved in DIRT street stock, I love unconventional and out-of-the-box setups that work. Great stuff, and, again, the RX-7 is sweet, too! Looking forward to seeing it with the blower and straight axle!

Comment

Ditto on what everyone one else has said. You Sir, are a craftsman. When the car makes it into a full-on gasser, can I suggest the name "WarBaby", half Japenese, half US.

Or maybe just Bon-zia!!
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

awesome! I gotta show this to my 13 year old son. He's a big fan of the ricer's... this thing is wicked!
            nice work!
            Married to Tara, that makes me the TARA-fied 1!

Comment

Here somthing different. It's a tranny from last year, before the engine setback. Made some special shift linkage so that the SuperShifter would sit properly in the RX-7's stock console opening...

I modified the inside too...

I'd like to say it's one of a kind, but I've had to build a few of them. Synchro 1st and 4th, ProShift 2nd, and FacePlated 3rd. The faceplate and dog ring parts are from Liberty, originally designed for a TopLoader. I split a 3/4 TopLoader slider and welded 1/2 of it to the 3rd gear side of this slider. On the gear itself, i just machined it's dogs for a press fit of the slightly modified Liberty dog ring, then MIG'd it. This thing worked flawlessly with the standard engine location in this lite car, not so much after the engine setback. Now a 3500rpm launch w/ a lite flywheel is about it's limit. I've only got 3 more sets of clusters and gears for this thing. By the time the parts stash runs out, the TopLoader should be ready.

Comment

Re: V8 powered RX-7 street toy

NICE
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Re: V8 powered RX-7 w/ engine setback

Wow. That is hard core. Keep it coming

Comment

What is the front suspension from? That looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by seanm
                      What is the front suspension from? That looks interesting.
                      The new tubular lower control arms and hole-punched crossmember I made from scratch.

The struts, hubs, brakes are OEM RX-7 parts that came with the car w/ a few added mods, like re-drilling the hubs/rotors to 5 on 4-3/4, re-valving the struts, and adding new fabricated lower spring seats and adjustable upper seats. I changed the spring seats so that I could use stock RX-7 rear springs up front as I liked their 101lbs/in rate. The original struts in these cars are rebuildable, and use deflective disc valving. Very easy to take apart and experiment with. I flipped the pistons upside down and added some holes, making them more like the 90/10 metered check valves i wanted.

Here's a pic from 2009 with the stock lower control arms and crossmember, before i moved the engine back and built the fancy tubular and hole-punched parts. In this pic the original strut rods were modified from biscuit bushings to rod-ends for more front end travel. The adjustable upper spring seats are also in the pic...

Comment

Just wanted to add that i'm building an old school faceplated 4spd Toploader for it. What's different is that 2nd got a faceplate too, as well as 3rd, and 4th. The Toploader 1/2 slider has a reverse gear on the outside, so I had to get creative to make enough room...

Had to trim the width of the gear a bit to make room for a good "V" for the weld.

I kept a traditional synchro for 1st. Makes it easy to put the car in gear from a dead stop without the big clunk. Also working over an aluminum tailhousing from an SROD to save a few lbs.

Comment

Can you turn water into wine too?

WOW
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

;D I didn't create that faceplate from scratch. It's a cut down Liberty piece, made by splitting one of their Toploader 3rd/4th sliders.

Comment

Just discovering this thread; welcome!

Love your screen name, especially after the explanation. ;D I love going out to Skagit; haven't been in awhile.

What kind of abuse will the stock rear axle take? Have you done much to it?

Comment

Thanks.

The stock '79-'85 RX-7 rears w/ rear disc brakes came with limited slips and are amazingly strong for their size (drum brake rear = open diff). 3.90 or 4.10 gears were stock, and they came with a clutch style limited slip (look like a scaled down Dana Powerlock), having 4 gears engaged in the axle gears instead of only 2 like an open diff. They lock harder when more power is put thru, so installing a V8 in place of a rotary makes them lock pretty good. '84-'85 cars come with larger dia axles and are the strongest of the 1st gen RX-7 rears. With a manual trans you can get into the 10s on one, which requires around 375-400whp with a car around 2650lb. If you put an automatic in it, you can get even more out of it. There have been guys with the NA IRS 2nd gen cars (same differential and ring gear dia) with automatics and a progressive shot in the low 9's w/ only a pinion snubber added...

All that being said though, my car came with a drum brake rear (open diff), so I just cut the brackets off and welded them to a narrowed 8.5" 10 bolt.

Comment

Working...
                                X