Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Engine, Little Tires, Little Nitrous...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little Engine, Little Tires, Little Nitrous...

Again, wow! I love hanging out in a shop and watching mad-skilled guys like you work. If I were nearby, I'd volunteer to be your shop lackey/helper monkey.

Your alignment tool is trick! A buddy of mine made a similar one when machining his engine block on his work's CNC mill (setup for manufacturing, not engine boring lol).

Comment

Thanks for the details. I've used a couple of out the box Carter/Edelbrock carbs. Never really tuned one though. All I ever hear is how crappy they are for performance and how much better a Holley is. Thanks for the input.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

You make me want to build one of these things. I have enough damn projects! Your workmanship is very nice, and I enjoy the out of the box thinking you use. Not the ultimate sleeper, but a twisted wicked little bastard for sure.

I must restrain myself from buying the one down the road from me that hasnt moved in 5 years....

Comment

I forgot about this thread. I checked it out at the beginning and some how forgot to follow along, my loss. Anyway, wow! I love your independent and free thinking. Anyway, excellent work!
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

As always here, mind blowing Fab work!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys.

I had to take it out of the fixture to make sure i had created enough room to install a SoftLoc clutch, so i figured i'd snap a few pics of the progress.

I started making patterns for closing in the bell by laying out the the top section on posterboard. I quickly realized it was much easier to just cut out slightly larger pieces of posterboard, hold them in place on the bell, and simply apply a little pressure by running my finger around the edges of the steel. This puts a small crease in the posterboard and transfers the exact shape needed, a much quicker way to create a pattern...

The transmission plate is still only tacked in 4 places. After all the rest of the welding is done, i'll put the bell back into the fixture, cut the tacks, and re-position the plate for the best alignment possible before welding it in place. I doubt there will be any need to machine the block or transmission mating surfaces.

Still need to make a pocket for the mini-starter that's going on the car...

To be continued...

Comment

Words escape me... You Rock, excellent!
                -Mick
                HRPT Long Haul '09,'10', '12, '13,'14,'15
                "if you can still see your face in the finish, you have not sanded enough"

Comment

Very nice, is there anything you can't do?
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I can't swim or work on Hondas ;)
                    Seriously, racing saturday nite dirt track is a good place to learn. You get to build things thru the week, and destroy them on the weekends.

Comment

All I can say is nice, very nice. You should be proud of your talents.
                      Jim T
                      Supercar Collectibles
                      www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Great work , I take it you don't spent too much time in front of the tv . How old are you ? if you don't mind me asking .

Comment

You're making me feel worthless and weak!
                          ;)
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Added a starter pocket...

I ended up finish welding it too. Welded the seams on the inside first (while removed from the fixture), then bolted it back into the fixture for finish welding. After grinding the outer tacks out w/ a carbide cutter, the outside seams were welded as well. The outer welds were then sanded smooth w/ a flap wheel. Still need to add a hole for the hyd t-brg hose and one to check the gap. After that, i'm drilling the bolt holes out to the finished size, sandblasting it, then sending it off to powdercoat.

Comment

SWEEEEET!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Beautiful Weeds

I was planning on making a home made bellhousing to mate a 883 new process to a 57 GMC 302 I6.

Guess what, now I have a visual on how to go about it.

You ought to start charging for these lessons ;D

Thanx
                                Ch1ll

Comment

Working...
                                X