Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little Engine, Little Tires, Little Nitrous...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got tired of replacing cracked hyper pistons, so i built a more durable version of basically the same engine. Still a little low compression stock block 355, but adding another nitrous kit...

Bobweight on this build was only 1492g. The BME rods were added to help the block live, plan is to see how far over 1000hp it can eventually go.

So far i've got less than 20mi on it. Have not had it past 8600 yet, but the rpm data shows no dropoff in acceleration rate at that point.
    Last edited by weedburner; August 1, 2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• I'm so glad to see you back , I don't understand a lot of what you're talking about but I'm trying to learn , Keep up the mumbo jumbo and I'll keep trying to figure out what you're talking about . You'll make me smarter and I thank you for that !. Oh ya , I love this engineering experiment .
      Last edited by langleylad; July 31, 2016, 08:46 PM.

Comment

• First time ive seen this and it is insanely awesome!
        CHECK US OUT AT:
        www.ridetech.com

Comment

• This car just keeps getting better and better.

Comment

• It's been over a year since I last checked in. The new engine runs great, but the news that i'm proudest of is that my clutch slipper project from earlier in this thread has evolved to be a hit in the NMRA's Coyote Stock class.

Coyote Stock is a heads-up factory sealed, naturally aspirated 302 cid crate engine class. The $6500 engines run at 3175lbs on a .400 pro tree. They even flash ecu's in the lanes to make sure everyone is on the same tuneup, Ford says 412hp@6500 / 390ftlbs@4250. Current class records are 10.075 / 131.86, according to the calculators it should take around 583-614fwhp to post those numbers.
            With basically the same power/weight/tires and spec ratios, controlled slipping of the required 10" min diaphragm clutch is pretty much the only mechanical variable that allows some C/S cars to produce significantly more power than others. So far this year my ClutchTamer customers in C/S have set quick ET and top MPH at every event and have the current ET and MPH records. They have also brought home both winner AND runner-up hardware at every event this year with a single exception. Here's a pic from Dragzine featuring customer Charlie Booze Jr, the latest winner from the '17 NMRA/NMCA Super Bowl event...

Here's a link to a video of another customer Darin Hendricks setting a record. Notice how quick the car reacts, and how the clutch doesn't pull the engine down when it launches- https://youtu.be/69PlV0uveqc

Here's a little tech to go along with my bragging- the below graphs show "Psi" data recorded from a hydraulic throwout bearing, while using a ClutchTamer to control the release of the clutch pedal.
            ...The 1st graph below shows a range of incrementally increasing amounts of "initial hit" (controlled by the ClutchTamer's inner "initial hit" dial), basically giving you the ability to instantly release the clutch pedal to a precise point in the pedal's travel. This is important because it gives you the ability to temporarily withhold or "dial out" some clutch clamp pressure, which would otherwise pull the engine down too quickly...

...The 2nd graph below shows a secondary range of pedal release rates (controlled by the ClutchTamer's outer "delay" knob). This gives you the ability to precisely and independently control the clutch pedal's travel rate beyond the "initial hit" point, which is important because it gives you the ability to separately control how long the clutch slips...

Grant
            ClutchTamer website- http://clutchtamer.com
            Last edited by weedburner; August 9, 2017, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Cool news ! Congratulations on your success .
              P.S. love your car and all the fab work .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• Another one of my ClutchTamer customers, 2017 NMRA Coyote Stock season champ Jacob Lamb...

Click image for larger version  Name:	CSJacobLamb2017champ.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	1191397

Last edited by weedburner; February 24, 2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• I've been working on an in-line hydraulic version of my ClutchTamer that I call the "HitMaster". Here's a pic of the valve itself...

Click image for larger version  Name:	hitmaster500w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	1240963

Easy to hide, also doesn't interfere with the under dash air bags on newer cars. Those air bags were a problem when installing the original ClutchTamer.

This version requires either a bypass solenoid or hyd restriction plumbed in parallel. Using a solenoid basically allows making the hit valve active during launch only, here's a plumbing schematic...

Here's a graph showing the typical stepped shape of the pressure release curve that results from using a solenoid, as compared to the gentle sloping curve of using a hydraulic restriction...

The sloping pressure release curve is well suited to a NA engine.

The stepped pressure release curve also works well with NA applications, but it is preferred for power adder cars as it allows remaining clutch clamp pressure to come in much quicker. Notice that the hit of both was almost instant due to the HitMaster valve, but after the transition point the stepped curve gives a turbo a little time to spool before full clutch clamp pressure takes over. We also use the stepped curve for our no-prep nitrous car. This gives our chassis time to transfer weight without bogging the engine, then full clamp comes in quickly to handle the delayed nitrous hit. The timer function is basically to control the duration of the horizontal step.

Here's a pic of the solenoid installed directly onto my clutch master cylinder...

Click image for larger version  Name:	HitMaster alternative solenoid plumbing 500w.jpg Views:	1 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	1240965

The line on the right side of the solenoid goes to the car's hydraulic T-bearing. The two lines on the left side go to the HitMaster valve, which in this case is located just inside the left door sill within easy reach of the driver. The curves in the graph above were generated using this setup.

For those that are interested, there's also an article about my original ClutchTamer in NMCA/NMRA's April issue of Fastest Street Car magazine. They noticed that almost all of the Coyote Stock and Factory Stock cars were using it, so they sent me an email and asked a few questions. The article also features reviews from some racers that are using the 'tamer, here's a link to check it out- http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/29f379e3
                  The article about my 'tamer starts on page 126.

Grant

PS- almost forgot, here's a link to the ClutchTamer home page- http://clutchtamer.com
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by weedburner; April 22, 2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• ClutchTamer customers have won all the NMRA Coyote Stock events so far this year. I'm proudest of the fact that we have made off-the-shelf diaphragm clutches more than competitive against the $2000 custom units.

Here's a link to the new webpage featuring my HitMaster clutch control system... http://grannys.tripod.com/hitmaster.html , you will find the most up to date info there.

Grant

Comment

• James Kempf just won the stick shift class at this year's World cup Finals, 6.91@198 using one of my hydraulic Hitmaster 2-stage clutch controllers!

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/...-1-4-mile-run/

One of my ClutchTamer's has also been thru the barn at the NHRA's US Nationals, came away with the A/S win on radials! Not bad for a unit that's a direct descendant of my original Hillbilly Clutch Slipper unit that was based on a hardware store hydraulic screen door closer.

Here's a link explaining my approach to clutch tuning...
                      GSS ClutchTamer 2 Stage Clutch Release Controller- changing the game of choosing the right clutch for your car!

Here's a link explaining​ why I consider the traditional centrifugal assist adjustable clutch to be outdated tech...
                      GSS ClutchTamer 2 Stage Clutch Release Controller- changing the game of choosing the right clutch for your car!

​Grant

Comment

• A car using one of my Hitmaster units to control the hit of a diaphragm clutch recently won the $10k Texas2k23 stick shift class.
                        Congrats Myles!

Grant

Comment

Working...
                        X