• Show
Clear All

Re: Galaxie Project

Looks Badass.....I love it.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Me too. I love those old Galaxies...such elegant simplicity of line and brutish gracefulness. Yours is super!
      President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Junkyard C6 build: the beginning

I have been using the cast iron small case trans that came in the galaxie behind the new 390. It has some valve body upgrades, but I could really use a little more stall speed. These cruisomatic trans are also known for cracking cases when you put power thru them, so it isn't worth a custom converter just to later frag this weak tranny.

I decided that I wanted to try building my own C6. By coincidence Jay from Broader performance transmissions has a new high performance rebuild kit that includes a detailed manual and live tech help. He did the valve body in my current cruiso and was great help on the phone when setting it up. I figure it is time to start learning the majic that is at work inside of a slushbox!!

I spotted this donor in the pick and pull last week and so I went back this am with a floor jack plywood, jack stands, a wheel barrow and my tools. '65-'68 galaxies share basic body and frame dimensions, so this car makes a great donor for all of the swap parts.

I wrestled with it for an hour or so and $40 later had the tranny, correct crossmember, speedo cable, dipstick, collumn linkage, etc. These galaxie-specific parts should really help with the conversion.

After cleaning it looks pretty respectable. I will start with the teardown and update the rebuild as it goes along.

Comment

Is the driveshaft interchangeable? Seems like that could be different, but what do I know. Great project!

Dan

Comment

Hell...With a trans that long I didn't think he needed a driveshaft ;D

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              Is the driveshaft interchangeable? Seems like that could be different, but what do I know. Great project!

Dan
              The driveshaft should be shorter with the C6 by a couple inches. I was going to get the one from the donor, but they bent it when lifting it with the forklift in the hard. I plan on having a custom one built that is stronger than stock.

Comment

Too bad that they were sloppy with the forklift. Still, a custom shaft won't be a bad thing.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X