Pro Street Hot Rod....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pro Street Hot Rod....

nice build, I'll guess it's on bags, what it look like at driving height?

Comment

Heres an older photo but this will be pretty close to ride height should have close to 6"s of height to adjust from it will go a good bit higher to.
      The tubs are pretty big in the car even at the lowest show height point i still have over 1" from the top of the tire to the tubs.
      Front suspension on the car is Beleive it or not from an AMC pacer an old hot rodders trick used on these cars aswell as chevy trucks from the late 40's to early 50's welds into the orginal 48 rails nicely and you get the rack n pinion and sway bar bigger disc brakes etc but i like it over the mustang stuff because its a ligther thicker in the right places and i can keep my front rails witch i mounted my tilt unit too,

Look forward to sharing all the details of the build and love to answer any ?'s been a fun build and challenging,
      But like they said if it was easy everyone would be doing it! lol

By profleetline at 2010-09-25

By profleetline at 2010-09-24

Comment

how far can you turn the wheel at that height?

photo's could be deceiving, but fender to tire.. looks close

Comment

It is close but i will be able to raise it aswell and at center point the wheel has a nice clear but looks are deceiving when its on the ground so low,

I really wanted to make sure that this car had the wheel wells full ive seen alot of drag cars and pro street that narrow there car to much and have alot of space between the body and tires.
          But this way i think it gives the car a reall nice look but is something that isnt noticed right away but its a detail that makes the car and of course yes it has to steer aswell just another detail that took awhile to do but thats not really thought of.

And one other thing that i just loved about building a Fat fendered car is that i always like the look of Fenderwell headers and they show up nice behind the front wheels.

By profleetline at 2010-09-23

Comment

nice..
            how'd you brace the nose those fenders are a lot of lb's and when up are at an angle(at lest in pic)
            whats keeping it ridged so not to crack the weld/filler/putty

Comment

Another great ?
              Actually this was a pretty big obsticle to dodge but work out great i made a mount real similiar to a pro mod style car and made a nice simple and smooth bend of round bar and its welded to the front of my rocker behind front wheel you can kinda see the header to the right in this picture.

I built the mount with a gentle bend to it so as t not look real bulky and again keeping it light weight.
              For mounting im using a guitar key style bolts with propper spacers to allow for the proper spacing in fender gaps

In this photo you can see the three bolts on the side of the cowl there the orginal location for the old hinges so the top bolt is made to go in and out if need be it also is point were on the hood a slide hook fits into and the two bolts under
              will have rubber pads on them and be the resting place for the mount on the hood side to hold the intial weight of the hood with a little cushion, took a long time to design but again i see people really over build things and make them more difficult then they need be so in the words of Frank sinatra " i did it myyyyy way" lol

Comment

I found a few more of the front clip!
                You said you like pics lol here ya go!

The hood orginally open down lower at the fender line i welded the hood to the fenders and then cut the hood open pancake stlye at the upper body line,
                By far the biggest mod on the car but I felt was worth the effort with the orginal hood opening the way they were from the factory i thought it took away from the side body transition into the door and could be improved on so i decided to take the plunge and the rest is getting close finally to history lol.

Comment

Heres a good idea of what all i have changed this is an orginal 48 pretty well loaded.
                  And you can see the orginal hood line and allllll the trim and bumper guards etc.
                  These cars new in 1948 with all the fluids in them weighted only 3,100 lbs thats 17 pounds more than a SB nova in 1970

So there look is very misleading, But just another reason im trying to be aware of all the weight going into the parts even the smallest of things they all ad up. like bumper brackets etc.

Comment

nice good work..
                    ya they are light..by todays standards..
                    what color tha dash, body color or?

Comment

Thanks love the ?'s dont usually get ask to many in the garage by myself lol

Actually the dash will be a satin ivory same sorta shade as the leather for my seats
                      The whole interior will be an ivory maybe with a green accent in places.

Comment

Mmmmmm. More pretty pictures. Thanks.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A few other random pics...

Comment

where is the battery going, I ask because ,we working on a bagged 1500 truck and it lost power at a show and the tilt nose couldn't open because the bumber was hitting the ground..
                            you chroming the grill or ivory like the dash. any other trim going back on..

Comment

Wow thanks for the great ?'s
                              The Battery will be mounted in the area behind the seats and i will have a kinda unique shut off area for the exterior of the car i plan on using what must would use as a frenched antenna area i frenched in the area to look like an antenna where as it will be a dissconect for the batter push off pull on etc. but it will appear to be a antenna.

My tilt unit isnt alectronic although it will have to have the front aired up so the bumper clears.
                              But the area behind my seats that will be platformed will hide the tank selonoids battery etc,
                              Goal is to make the car look like it shouldnt run lol, basicly hideing everything, for a really simple look,

You can see the hole on the quarter, here it will go down into the trunk area and the switch will be mounted under the trunk floor and hidden by belly pan

By profleetline at 2010-09-21

Comment

that was the issue with the truck the tilt was manual but the battery was underhood and when bagged down the nose didn't open enough to let you even jump the battery..
                                the battery has since been moved..
                                the push on /off switch as an ant is great, you make the rod/linkage or use'n the flaming river push/pull set up

Comment

Working...
                                X