Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Re: 1966 442

Nice car Rob V

Comment

Originally posted by usmlsmk
          Nice car Rob V
          Thanks. I thought I saw your Camaro on here somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by R442
            Nice car Rob V
            [img][/img]http://i53.tinypic.com/e5oc3o.jpg
            I dont think so. First time in 19 years it never made it out off the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by R442
              Nice car Rob V
              [img][/img]http://i53.tinypic.com/e5oc3o.jpg
              I dont think so. First time in 19 years it never made it out off the stands.
              I didn't see it on the street, I saw a picture you posted on here with the front clip off. What were you doing with it?

I opened two mains and one rod tonight and didn't see anyting other than some bearing damage on the mains. I had all the machine work and the short block assembled by Rocket Racing. I am taking it there on Friday and let them finish opening it up. I'm hoping clean the block grind the crank and new bearings should do it. This is getting old but what do you do?

Comment

Hahaha!!! Trust me on this, now that you've taken it to the track it'll never be 'fast enough.' You're hooked. 15s - 14s - 13s -12s...the previous fastest time only satisfies until your next track outing, then it seems slow and you NEED MORE OF THE FIX. ;D It's like crack, man, the addiction never ends. :'(

Fabulous car and great posts. You're obviousy having a blast -- hope you're able to get back in action for not too much $$$.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by mlcraven
                  Hahaha!!! Trust me on this, now that you've taken it to the track it'll never be 'fast enough.' You're hooked. 15s - 14s - 13s -12s...the previous fastest time only satisfies until your next track outing, then it seems slow and you NEED MORE OF THE FIX. ;D It's like crack, man, the addiction never ends. :'(

Fabulous car and great posts. You're obviousy having a blast -- hope you're able to get back in action for not too much $$$.
                  Thanks, you hit it right on the head. I waited so long to take it to the track because I was afraid of being embarassed at how slow it was. The first time out the only thing slower was an old Dakota with a topper, but I had a blast. That winter I got my motor rebuilt and stumbled across half of a nitrous system that I pieced together. Before I even had it running my goal went from low 14's to mid 13's. Now I want low 13's. What the hell, if I don't spend my money my wife will anyway.

Comment

Well it's been a while but I finally heard back from the machine shop. The damage is 4 galled wrist pins and a spun bearing. This came about for a few reasons. When I built the motor I used the harmonic balancer off of a 455. I did not realize that they were marked different and when I used the timing tab off of the 400 it retarded my timing by 15 degs. This combined with the wrong size and style of carb and a fuel system that was insufficient I was also starving the engine. The 50HP of nitrous probably didn't help the situation much either. There was also a possibility that I was draining the oil from the pan by the end of the run.

For my new set up aside from replaceing the damaged pieces I am making a few upgrades. I am replacing the oil pan with a seven quart unit, a new high volume oil pump with a 1/2" dia pick up tube. I am buying a new 750 double pumper feed by a 130 gph mechanical pump. Thanks to the members of this forum I am seeting up my nitrous system as a stand alone system with it's own fuel cell and pump.

I will be glad to start putting things back together, even though there is snow on the ground I like knowing that I can hop in my car and go.

Comment

Wow, I didn't see this thread beofre tonight. Great story, great car! It is so similar to the story I posted recently, what a coincidence! Too bad you hurt the motor. If you haven't already considerd this, think about restricting oil to the top end. Once you get the timing right, and get the fuel system working good the 442 should fly! I would think you can get it well into the 13's without the spray by working on optimizing your combination. Good luck! Joel

Comment

If you haven't already considerd this, think about restricting oil to the top end.

I did install restrictors when I rebuilt the motor last time. What I didn't do is install a larger pan to go with my high volume oil pump. According to the machine shop the oil pump was starting to suck air at the end of the track. The machine shop I am using is Rocket Racing they deal in mainly Oldsmobile's and the owner has a 1965 442 that runs 9.50's N/A.
                        I came across a couple older pictures I thought I would post.

Here are a couple before I bought the car. The second picture is just a sample of the life the car has led.

This is a picture from the first time I finished it.

The car stayed that way for about 5 years and then I crashed it on my way to work.

Luckily I had enough parts to get it back on the road the same evening. After a year of running around in primer I was able to redo the car to the current state its in now. It is ready for another repaint but due to my engine situation that is put on hold for now.

I did get to the garage for the last couple days and install new bearings and syncros in my transmisson. I will try and post the pictures later today.

Comment

Your car has had a rough life, that is greatness that you've kept it and keep it going and how good it looks now.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

drive it like a knucklehead

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              drive it like a knucklehead
                              Thats gonna happen when you give a teenager a big block and a 4 speed! Luckily I out grew most of that and the car survived 5 teenage boys (2 sets of brothers) at the wheel.

Comment

Time to install new bearings and syncros. I have had this apart one other time to swap my syncronizer springs. The shop I took it to earlier had put them in the wrong place and it was kicking out of gear when I let off of the throttle. This was the job I was fearing the most on my car.

I started with this

And these

Disassembly went well until I tried to remove the speedometer gear.

I tried everything I could find in my garage to remove the speedo gear but had no luck. I ended up taking it to the shop I work at to press it out with the 20 ton press. I wasted about two hours instead of using the right tool for the right job.

Once all the bearings seals and syncros were changed it was time to put it back together.

This is the tool that made things easy on me.

It is a 7/8" x 8 3/8" wooden dowel lightly sanded to slide inside the cluster gear. Without this I knew of no other way to hold the 80 needle bearings inside the cluster gear.

Everything went together so nice I forgot to take any pictures except for the finished product.

The only other thing I have gotten done is mounting the nitrous fuel cell.

Everything else I have left to do is centered around the engine, fuel lines, electric fuel pump, etc.

So now I will work on cleaning the engine compartment while I wait for the machine shop to finish my block.

Comment

Working...
                                X