No announcement yet.

1966 442

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks on the hitch, I knew it would be overkill but in order to clear my gas tank and look decent that's where it ended up. I could have gone with a smaller receiver but this way I can use the ball mounts that I have for my Suburban.

Chasing vibrations can be a pain. I went through everything over the years from a new clutch and pressure plate to u joints. I seem to have gotten this time, I ran a string from front to back and noticed my drive train alignment was off. It wasn't off by much but after I realigned my engine and trans the vibration is gone. My car has led a rough life and I assume something is out of whack but it still goes down the road straight and steady.

Comment

A lot of early Mustang guys who put T5 5 speed in a lot of times get vibrations because of drive line angles. The T5 is taller because of the shifter box on the tailshaft housing. The solution is either cut the trans tunnel up or drop the rear of the trans lower then stock which is what more then 99% of the guys end up doing. Then it's common to have a vibration. They end up shimming the trans up as far as possible, coming very close to the floor pan. They also end up with the fan blade getting very close to the radiator and the air filter getting close to the hood as well.

Forgot to mention, the camper is way cool! I'd love to get something down the road.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by R442 View Post
        Thanks on the hitch, I knew it would be overkill but in order to clear my gas tank and look decent that's where it ended up. I could have gone with a smaller receiver but this way I can use the ball mounts that I have for my Suburban.

Chasing vibrations can be a pain. I went through everything over the years from a new clutch and pressure plate to u joints. I seem to have gotten this time, I ran a string from front to back and noticed my drive train alignment was off. It wasn't off by much but after I realigned my engine and trans the vibration is gone. My car has led a rough life and I assume something is out of whack but it still goes down the road straight and steady.
        Nice to read that you're still having fun with the Olds. The trailer will result in some good times too, I'm sure.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

This forum needs a vintage trailer section... loving the hitch. That sucker right there will prevent a lot of folks from tailgating!
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm glad to see other people get what I'm doing. That's what I love about this place. Most people think I'm nuts putting a hitch on my car.They see it as a toy type of car but I see it as a car I want to drive more often and if I can pull a camper with it than the more useful it is.

Seeing Squirrel with his camper did kind of influence my decision on getting this camper. I'm planning on getting plenty of use out of it this summer once graduation season is over.

Comment

I'm glad to see other people get what I'm doing. That's what I love about this place. Most people think I'm nuts putting a hitch on my car.They see it as a toy type of car but I see it as a car I want to drive more often and if I can pull a camper with it than the more useful it is.

Seeing Squirrel with his camper did kind of influence my decision on getting this camper. I'm planning on getting plenty of use out of it this summer once graduation season is over.
              I was looking at my Mustang to see where I could mount a hitch if I make one. I have a hitch from my wife's old Pathfinder I could some parts from it. Hitches rule!
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I have a small hitch that would work just fine on your stang...if you were closer it would be all yours...jsut big enuff to pull a small camper or jet skis...not sure why I have it...I thought about putting it on the Fury for shits and grins
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm so glad I found this place and can get my project car fix by following along on all the great projects on here. Nothing much has happened this summer with the 442 or the camper. Between being busy at work, and a hectic home life I didn't do much more than drive my 442. I did hit a couple of local cruises and managed to make it to one big show in Pardeeville Wisconsin. That was a good time I met up with a couple buddies, one with a 66 Cutlass and one with a 67 Cutlass. It looked pretty cool having 3 Oldsmobiles pulling into the show together.

One thing I was able to do is save up some money to start on my engine again. Right now I am still in the planning stages but leaning towards a stroker motor. The block was sonic tested and will be bored to 4.125 which will allow me to run 455 internals which gives me a larger parts selection. This along with a roller cam and aluminum heads should get me close to 500-550 hp. It will be slow going but I am doing my home work and have all winter to get it finished.

I will keep you posted as I go along.

Comment

Oooh, I CAN relate to the little time and money thing! Glad to see you're still in the fight.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Still fighting. I usually end up with either time or money, very rarely do I end up with both. But it looks like I finally have a little of both.

Comment

Finally starting to get some where with my car but somehow I ended up with two big holes in my trunk because I wanted to install a new fuel pump and lines.

Since my enigne is still a ways off I decided to get the fuel system ready. I started by laying out my electric pump and filter then ran the new 1/2" supply and return lines. Once that was in place I changed my mind from redoing the stock pick up tube to installing a sump pan on my tank. I thought that sounded pretty easy, wrong. Once I got the tank out I was reminded of the rusted tank mount so I decided to order a new one, still shouldnt too bad. While digging around on the other side of the trunk floor I noticed a few spots of daylight and thats how I ended up with the two big holes. Back inside I go to price a new trunk pan. It was at this point that I decided I had better stop or this thing will be in a million pieces by the time the engine is ready.

Instead of buying a new trunk pan I will be making patches from sheet metal I have laying around. At this point I am more concerned with keeping the trunk dry than I am about the apperance as my plan is to get the new motor in and enjoy the car for a while before replacing the trunk pan and repainting the car. Besides once the trunk mat is in place who's going to see it.

I will try to get more pictures as I go along but its not easy when the cars only about two feet in the air.

One question I have is about the rear end. I have an 8.25" 10 bolt with a Eaton center section and Richmond ring and pinion. If I were to replace the axles with good aftermarket units and installed a reinforced cover how much horsepower will it take? I know it will be over powered but I looking for options until I can afford a replacement.

Thanks

Comment

One question I have is about the rear end. I have an 8.25" 10 bolt with a Eaton center section and Richmond ring and pinion. If I were to replace the axles with good aftermarket units and installed a reinforced cover how much horsepower will it take? I know it will be over powered but I looking for options until I can afford a replacement.

Thanks
                          I think, after you price good axles for the 8.25, you'll change your mind about what costs what. I suspect that you could put together a 9" for the same price as axles for the 8.25. STILL, the BOP 8.2 rear differential isn't terrible and handles the torque monsters from GM.... plus, they already are a semi-floating design so if they do break, you're not going to lose a wheel. How much HP, depends on how much traction you have when you drop the clutch. If you drive nice, my dad was running in the 9s in the late 50s/early 60s on axles that weren't as strong as the 8.2 (he ran a 9.3) - thus, if you treat it nice, it'll survive as long as you need it to (no slicks)
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My current plan is to run a lower grade clutch and street tires until I can get the trans and rear end upgraded. Long term I would like to go with a 9" or an 8.8" and drop down to a 3.23 gear.

Comment

It's hard to believe it's been over two years since my last update but things have been crazy. I was Rescued by Hot Rod and the article is in the June issue. My car has gone from a mild mannered unreliable around town car to a 525HP 591TQ long distance cruiser. I was able to do two legs of Power Tour last year with no problems. This year I'm doing three legs and going on Drag Week as a spectator.

We ran into a few issues with the crankshaft moving so we made a few changes and hopefully should be on the dyno by the end of the week.

So far in addition to the engine I have updated the fuel system and installed a nine inch rear end. The rearend was destroyed while on a camping trip. Drag radials and a 10 bolt don't mix well. Kind of took some of the fun out of camping but we were able to get the car and the camper home without too much trouble.

I've been watching and following multiple projects on here and I am always amazed at how fast some people get things done and still have time to update their posts. I've got pictures of just about everything and will be posting them shortly.

Comment

I keep mine up by posting in the evening when I come in from the shop. I have a routine of cleaning up a bit, eating dinner, then downloading whatever pics I have and writing a post. If I stray very far from that I can't remember what I've done - the main reason for the thread in the first place.

Then into the tub and a little TV followed by sleep. Repeat the next day. "Work" you ask? Around here that's a 4 letter word.

THANKS for the update! Sounds like the 442 is turning into a tamed fire breathing monster! Please - pics!!! I'll be looking for the HRM article.

Dan
                                Last edited by DanStokes; April 13, 2015, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X