No announcement yet.

1966 442

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read the article in Hot Rod last night. Those guys are amazing what they did with the engine.

Comment

Norm Brandes is a friend of mine and I always follow his rescues with great interest. I got my HRM yesterday and I'm about half-way thru the article. Great job as always with those guys.

Years ago when I was at EPA we did an on-road fuel economy test program in Wisconsin and we were headquartered at Norm's shop. I was the tech on the ground for the whole program and we spent quite a bit of time together. As I'm sure you've learned, Norm is a great guy and a REAL character. I haven't hooked up with him in a while but please tell him I said HI and I hope all are well.

Dan

Comment

Your undoubtedly pleased to have that string of successive engine misfortunes behind you at long last. I always look forward to 'Hot Rod to the Rescue' and the write-up on your engine re-build was very informative, particularly for someone unfamiliar with the ins and outs of Olds power plants. Have a safe summer on the road with that beast!
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

It was quite the experience working with Hot Rod and Norm. Dan, Norm is still is a great guy and has endless stories, there are no short conversations with Norm. I don't know how to describe the feeling of finally having a reliable engine. I will never forget the feeling of walking out of the hotel in Iowa and only having my 442 keys in hand and seeing it sitting in the parking lot. So much cooler than having the wife's 2006 Impala. I don't remember the last time I had a sunburn that bad on just my left arm. This year should be even better. I hope to have some pictures downloaded tomorrow and will start posting.

Also Hot Rod wanted me to get the word out that they are still looking for guys in need of rescuing. I got a hold of them through Facebook. Who knows what could happen, I never thought it would happen to me but it did.

Comment

When ME and I were headed to Norm's shop as we were on a trip up that way I was trying to describe him so she could be prepared. I finally came up with "Captain Kangaroo on steroids". She later said that that was about right.

I'll be interested to see how the bottom end fix comes out. It seems like there's a cure for every design flaw.

Dan

Comment

"Captain Kangaroo on steroids".

This made my wife laugh out loud.

Comment

Great car and a great story!
                Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Rob, Really glad to see your rescue is successful! Last year when my 68 Chevelle was in Norm's shop being rescued, your engine was there, and Norm was describing to me what you had gone through. Norm is indeed a knowledgable and interesting guy to talk to, and will ultimately reach a solution to any problem.
                  Bring that great 442 out for Power Tour, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it, and meet you!!
                  Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                  Gregg and Deb Miller
                  Verona, Wi.

Comment

Originally posted by convss View Post
                    Rob, Really glad to see your rescue is successful! Last year when my 68 Chevelle was in Norm's shop being rescued, your engine was there, and Norm was describing to me what you had gone through. Norm is indeed a knowledgable and interesting guy to talk to, and will ultimately reach a solution to any problem.
                    Bring that great 442 out for Power Tour, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see it, and meet you!!

Gregg

I was there the day they were working on your fuel pump installation, nice looking 68. I also saw it sitting on the main strip in the Dells last year as we were stopping for breakfast before heading home. As long as we don't run into any trouble with it this week I am planning on going to the first three stops on Power Tour this year. I will look you up.

Comment

• so does your Olds have a girdle now?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        so does your Olds have a girdle now?
                        Can't say much yet but no girdle. Made few changes and upgrades to the bottom end and some head work. Dyno time keeps getting pushed out but hopefully by the end of the week. Dropped it off Sunday so it's in line.

Comment

• Hopefully this works.

Here are a few pictures from the build.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38820.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1024930 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38821.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	1024931 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38822.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	627.8 KB
ID:	1024932
                          Last edited by R442; April 21, 2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Here is what happened to my original 10 bolt after a spirited test drive while on a camping trip. Made it back to the campground but it wasn't pretty or quiet.

Name:	Broke.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	645.9 KB
ID:	1024945

After scanning Craigslist I was able to find a complete nine inch for $100. It was removed from an old pick up bed trailer that was bought for the title.From this i used the center section and brakes. Everything looked good but I changed the wheel cylinders just to be on the safe side.

Name:	Rear 1.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1024946

I also got lucky and found a new housing and axles that were for sale locally. The housing was for a 1969 Camaro 4 link set up that was ordered wrong for the tire size. By removing the mounting brackets and installing the proper brackets from Currie I was able to make this work for my car.

Name:	Rear 2.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	544.2 KB
ID:	1024947

The new housing was 1" narrower than the stock unit. This worked out well for my rim and tire combination. This was nothing compared to what most people on this site are doing but it was a major win for me. I will post more pictures as I get them downloaded.

Comment

• nice buy on the axle - and your motor looks awesome; it does bother me a bit that Hot Rod claimed the guy was an expert, then he made a rookie move on the girdle... but still, given the headache the girdle has created on my Buick... it's not an uncommon thing.

okay, so I'll ask another question you might not be able to answer - who paid for the engine repairs?
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Rob, that was a great article! I love reading HR to the rescue, you can learn a lot. It's good to see someone we know getting their problems taken car of.
                                Tom
                                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                                X