Project Cheap Beater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Cheap Beater

meh figured i will make a thread on this thing why not eh?

it's a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT Ram Air so it's the 175hp instead of the 170hp (GM and there marketing lol)

got it for $500 has a rod knock and a dead cylinder.

plans get it running have a new engine just need to put it in will not be untill october though (school auto lab is full)

re-align the front sheet metal

replace PS pump

pictures

after i get it running i will have a engine sitting around i may or may not build it up depends on how i feel

the car all ready has some aftermarket suspention components. has KYB adjustble struts and lowering spings, GMPP front rear sway bars, polyurathain bushings. it rides nice and handles decent for a front heavy wrong wheel drive car

running total
    Car $500
    Engine $400
    PS pump $89
    -------------
    Total $989

Re: Project Cheap Beater

maybe just make it in to a correct wheel drive car ;)

ain't I just a stinker for suggesting that?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Normally I'd recommend lightening the car by using composite pieces...but, seeing how 85% of that thing is Tupperware anyways... ;D

(BTW, S/C 3.8 V6 would give that car the kick in the ass it sorely needs...)
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Good score!
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
          Normally I'd recommend lightening the car by using composite pieces...but, seeing how 85% of that thing is Tupperware anyways... ;D

the car only wieghs 3,089lbs with a full tank lol if i want it under 2900 just race with a gallon of gas in the tank :D

now wile physicly the L67 would fit it would be a PITA to get the mount to hook up. the mount goes right where the wahter pump pulley is on the 3800.

i am think of building up the 3400 there are guys getting 300 FWHP out of these things. heck just with a decent computer tune people are getting 210 crank HP so GM detuned them from the factory then add in a better air intake systum and exhuast and i would be right around a L67s power out put

also for being a 5 cylinder it huals if my naighbors didn't hate me as much as they do i would post up a burn out vid lol

Comment

I'd have to say good score. That would make a good commuter for me.
            Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

That thing brings back memories... it is identical to my buddies' old car, same year and his was black also. He bought his wrecked with low miles and added an intake, full SLP exhaust, a chip, and a full Eibach spring kit. If you pulled the e-brake on, it would sit there and melt the front tires off until they blew... Just a tip - wheels from a 99 Mustang GT will bolt right on, and look really cool on them. I still say that car was possessed though - it had a horrible reputation for leaving us stranded at the worst possible times - one time in particular it decided to explode a CV joint in the ghettos of Pittsburgh at 1:00am on a Sunday morning, not fun. He wasn't even beating on the car at the time, we were just trying to get out of a bad neighborhood without drawing attention. Man was I glad when he decided to sell that thing...
              Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
                That thing brings back memories... it is identical to my buddies' old car, same year and his was black also. He bought his wrecked with low miles and added an intake, full SLP exhaust, a chip, and a full Eibach spring kit. If you pulled the e-brake on, it would sit there and melt the front tires off until they blew... Just a tip - wheels from a 99 Mustang GT will bolt right on, and look really cool on them. I still say that car was possessed though - it had a horrible reputation for leaving us stranded at the worst possible times - one time in particular it decided to explode a CV joint in the ghettos of Pittsburgh at 1:00am on a Sunday morning, not fun. He wasn't even beating on the car at the time, we were just trying to get out of a bad neighborhood without drawing attention. Man was I glad when he decided to sell that thing...
                cars are evil, that's proof.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

yup the Lebaron has been fighting me for months. it realy does not want new A/N fuel lines but it finaly submitted lol

Comment

transfered the Grand Prix's old plate to the Grand Am.... seemed fitting

Comment

brought the engine home from the junk yard

also ordered fron and rear strut tower braces for the GA.

Total $989
                      strut tower braces $69.99
                      ----------
                      new total $1058.99

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
                        Originally posted by Remy-Z

the car only wieghs 3,089lbs with a full tank lol if i want it under 2900 just race with a gallon of gas in the tank :D

now wile physicly the L67 would fit it would be a PITA to get the mount to hook up. the mount goes right where the wahter pump pulley is on the 3800.

i am think of building up the 3400 there are guys getting 300 FWHP out of these things. heck just with a decent computer tune people are getting 210 crank HP so GM detuned them from the factory then add in a better air intake systum and exhuast and i would be right around a L67s power out put

also for being a 5 cylinder it huals if my naighbors didn't hate me as much as they do i would post up a burn out vid lol
                        What if you use the H-body Bonneville/Park Ave bracketry? That shuffles the motor mount brackets around abit.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

water pump is still smack dab in the center of the engine though.... right where the passenger engine mount needs to be for a N-body

plus it would be a wiring nightmare and i would give up after 2 years of trying to make it work

Comment

You're a brave man, I've done a few engine swaps on FWD - not my favorite thing!

Great deal - any time you can have reliable transportation for $2k or less - you're doing good, especially in the rust belt.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

i have only done engine swaps in FWD :D never had to swap out a RWD engine

well in my own cars i havr long blocked a feew 3v 5.4Ls in trucks

Comment

Working...
                              X