Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider

A bit of a history.... my wife and I have this running discussion where she says that I can't build a car that can get better mileage then her old geo metro. I say "of course I can, and it'll be a fun car too." Other words were said, threats raised, promises made, and in the end my honeydo list includes a car that will be "fun" and get better then 65 mpg..... from the start, I know I can get that number by simply putting in an Isuzu diesel motor..... however, it's not the way I roll..... so the thought is to pull the italian junk out (100 hp new), and replace it with a turbo ecotech ;D Now, part of the issue was that I keep my herd down to a nominal number (less then 5)... so say good bye IROC, hello Spider... I see auto cross and SCCA open track days ahead very soon.

yep, it runs. no, it doesn't have any rust... needs a bit of clutch work so it'll be run as is until I spiffy up the interior and repaint the car blue.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Re: Spider

I'm all for mpg's, but I'm think'in 65mpg out of an ecotech is a pretty tall order......I look forward to the build none the less!

The ecotec is making a revival here. I PM Dieselgeek about it a week or so ago, Seth revamp's his kadet's plans with one, and now this :P
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Oh cool. Those were the rides of the richy cool dudes in hs. They probably saw John Hughes flicks too many times. What is scary, all you need is a collared up pastelly polo shirt, scary plaid bermuda shorts, and penny loafers and it's 1983. Even scarier is that they are back in style.

Anyway, an ecotec would make that lil car fly.

So, can you get in this car? Or, do you put it on.....like a pair of pants.....tight pants? ;D
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

65 mpg? I am hoping for 35 out of the Kadett with the ecotec and a 6 speed.....and it only weighs 1400 lbs.....

What is the plan?

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Ugh...a Feeyotch. My friend had one that I fiberglass'd floors in for him at his request. I hate those things with a passion undefined.

I wish ya well...
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

the only way I get 65 mpg out of an ecotech is on the end of a tow rope..... I have the plan to get the 65 mpg, but it's only going to be in there long enough to end the discussion ;D

and I do fit... it's kind of like 2 story pants ... jump out a two story window and I slide right in.... hmmmm Izods, in a nice peach under and robin egg blue over ... hmmmm... my generation was colorblind.

Comment

I had an 81 Spyder 2000 and when it ran it was a freakin BLAST! I loved to drive that car, it had great acceleration, got great mileage and handled like it was on rails....again...I stress...when it ran...I ended up with a catastrophic computer failure and couldnt justify the cost to fix it so I gave it away on a trade in deal for a chevy suburban....I do miss it.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

65mpg?
                really?

Any idea what the aero is on that thing?

Surely this measurement will be with the top up, windows up, very very low rolling resistance tires
                (check out your local ford dealer for a Fusion S - those michelins are the poop for RR)

Full underbody shields with a few naca ducts for cooling if necessary, smooth wheel covers, rear fender skirts.... no rear wing on the trunk.

Who's going to do the calibrating? I'm hoping no catalyst will be involved - you'll be in lean burn with stupid high NOX to get there.... I suppose it's possible going down hill with a tail wind?
                ;D
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

part of my complaint about today's cars is they are so overloaded with crap that their mileage is very negatively effected.... so no, no smog anything - the car is not checked for smog.... underpan, good idea... thinking more a toneau cover over the passenger compartment... the car weights in at a hair over 2k so weight is on my side (the geo metro weights more)...
                  there is the ecotech version they put in the high mpg cavs.... might use that instead.... i dunno, I am certainly open to suggestions.... focus S? heck, I could go with a TDI (found one cheap)...
                  my wife has not demanded EPA certification, so me driving through the columbia river gorge on one of their epic days wouldn't be out of the question (windsurf capital of the world - gets 60 mph one direction winds).
                  Joe
                  this is a 79 - no computer

paid a grand total of 500 for this thing... so hopefully I'll be in this cheap

Comment

Arrrrggghhhh !!!!
                    You got me.
                    :P

I was hoping for a build on a Porsche 550 Spyder a'la James Dean, or even an Alfa Romeo Spider reminiscent of Dustin Hoffman's ride in The Graduate, but you rock up with a Fiat 124 Sport Spider ??

... and want to get 65 mpg from an EcoTech ?

I think you just lost your bet, but it will be fun to watch.
                    Good luck !!!
                    ;D

Comment

I'd Diesel it, if just to win the bet. Then an Ecotec or other modern 4 banger. I worked for a Fiat-Triumph-Volvo dealer in Detroit right before I went to the EPA. I loved those little guys but that was pre-computer. Iron oxide is not your friend. The little twin-cam 4 is a pretty little engine - I chucked my cam puck tool for those when we moved to NC 6 years ago.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy

Joe
                        this is a 79 - no computer

paid a grand total of 500 for this thing... so hopefully I'll be in this cheap
                        Well hell, if it isnt computer controlled....why not just for shits and grins...see what you can muster with this engine first...then move on to an engine change...it wsure would make for an epic project thread.

I regret getting rid of mine...I replaced the clutch and the fuel pump, but the car wouldnt run, but if I by passed the injectors and put fuel into the TB it would fire up and run...Now that I think about it I probably could had made it work if I knew then what I know now...and if the internet exsisted....
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

the only issue with this one is pressing the clutch doesn't fully disengage the clutch - it's got the old cable style actuation, any ideas on the cause of that?

Comment

Cable stretch. If it isn't at it's limit, there should be a screw adjuster either at the firewall or at the bellhousing to turn and effectively lengthen the cable housing, thus tightening the cable. That's how it was on my Mom's '87 Plymouth Colt :P
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                              Cable stretch. If it isn't at it's limit, there should be a screw adjuster either at the firewall or at the bellhousing to turn and effectively lengthen the cable housing, thus tightening the cable. That's how it was on my Mom's '87 Plymouth Colt :P
                              yup, what he said..or the adjuster is just loose and it slid...

Comment

Working...
                              X