76 Chevelle road racer from the arctic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Great work, BT! No one will ever see it but YOU will know it's right under there. Besides, this will keep the seats off the ice.

Carry On!

Dan

Comment

• Since i have just been using the Chevelle for the last 6 months,i havent got any news to share..just 2 pics of it around .

Comment

• It's great to hear from you and to see the car again. I hope all is well and you're having fun.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            It's great to hear from you and to see the car again. I hope all is well and you're having fun.

Dan
            All good here Dan .I changed job 2 years ago,and i guess my net surfing have taken other directions than Bangshift sometimes..that said..i have been around here,but not as much as before.

Comment

• Still working with cranes? That seems interesting but I'm no good at heights so it wouldn't have been my cup of tea!

Dan

Comment

Still working with cranes? That seems interesting but I'm no good at heights so it wouldn't have been my cup of tea!

Dan
                Im kinda into cranes now too,but now i use them ;).My new job is in one of the local docks.Well,we have 2 of them.The grey old one is from 1963,and we had 2 of those..but now both have been torched down.The blue one is 1 years old now,and its a dream to use compared to the old ones.I use to say that cranes have the same evolution as trucks and tractors,so imagine using a tractor from 63 in your daily job.

We are also having 2 small tug boats,so we are often out at night helping boats in and out of the dock.

Comment

• Comment

• If I'm looking at the pics correctly are the cranes are mounted on a barge? Interesting. You might want to Google Earth the Port of Wilmington, NC, where I live. Our tower cranes are permanently mounted to the docks (at least I think they are). As I understand it we can do Panamax ships but nothing bigger unless we dredge the river more deeply. Interesting that we live half a world apart yet both of us are in port towns. I guess stuff from China gets shipped EVERYWHERE!

Love the port pics and thanks

Dan

Comment

If I'm looking at the pics correctly are the cranes are mounted on a barge? Interesting. You might want to Google Earth the Port of Wilmington, NC, where I live. Our tower cranes are permanently mounted to the docks (at least I think they are). As I understand it we can do Panamax ships but nothing bigger unless we dredge the river more deeply. Interesting that we live half a world apart yet both of us are in port towns. I guess stuff from China gets shipped EVERYWHERE!

Love the port pics and thanks

Dan
                      No..theres no barge,but a quay built in 1962 or so.The cranes have a railway to drive on,and under the railway,and inside the quay,theres a conveyor..that transport ore and fines from Brazil up to the steelworks here.If you look at the pics,you will see silowagons also on the quay.We are also mostly unloading on this quay,because thats what it was designed to do.

Comment

• Heres the view from the crane,and down into the cargo room in one of the boats we have unloaded.

Random shot.

A shot from when the new crane was assembled.

Boats come in many different forms.

Comment

• I guess it was just the angle of the shot.

So I guess there are steel mills in your area? Heavy industry is truly awesome! Ours here in the US are much depleted in the past few decades.

Since 9/11 the port here is now secured to the point that you can't get very close to look at it or take a pic. There's a tour boat up the river (the Port of Wilmington is 25 miles or so up the Cape Fear River) and it used to take you down to State Port to look at it but now it turns around down stream of the Port so now you can see it but not up close. The old timers tell me that you also were able to drive up almost onto port property in the Olden Days but again, no more. That's why I suggested Google Earth - probably the best pics available.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; November 17, 2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• A big one for sure .

Comment

• A lot of the big port cranes are on barges. The Port of Los Angeles had a massive one we took from the Germans after WWII. It was nicknamed Herman the German and was literally floated to Long Beach, through the Panama Canal, and reassembled.

Herman the German lifts the Spruce Goose in 1980. An icon on the Port of Long Beach's skyline for nearly 50 years was the floating crane...
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                                A lot of the big port cranes are on barges. The Port of Los Angeles had a massive one we took from the Germans after WWII. It was nicknamed Herman the German and was literally floated to Long Beach, through the Panama Canal, and reassembled.

http://portoflongbeach.blogspot.com/...an-german.html
                                Heard about it,but didnt know it was moved to panama.http://maritimematters.com/2011/06/e...anal-part-two/

Comment

Working...
                                X