Janet's 70 Dart Swinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Janet's 70 Dart Swinger

mmm....registration....insurance....ready for the road again, after it gets a bath.

Another fun story: Janet took Nuclear Engineering in college, and her roommate called her car the Nukemobile because it's such a nice bright radioactive yellow.

so Janet had this painted on the car after we got it repainted in the early 90s

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I guess the first thing I get to fix is the heater core. Windows fogged up nicely on our first trip into town in the car in two years. Oops.

My fabulous web page

Comment

D'oh! Just in time for winter :'(
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I got the NORS heater core in the UPS last night, so I started working on it this morning. The heater isn't too bad to work on, only takes maybe half an hour to remove. I cleaned it up, replaced the core, and put it back together

THe old core was definitely leaking. I never replaced it in 30 years, but it looks like someone might have worked on it before 1981, a few things were funky.

I managed to bust off a cable bracket while trying to put the retaining clip back on it...but it also had signs of epoxy on it, so maybe I busted it a few years ago when I was working on getting the cables to work better?

as soon as the jb weld dries I can try again, hopefully more carefully this time.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Heater works good now. The brakes....need some work. The rear shoes are not quite worn out, only about half way, so I'll let them go longer. Fronts are getting pretty thin, so I ordered them and wheel grease seals. The parts stores used to stock this stuff, now it's all overnight. Who'd a though late model cars like this would ever be old?

Maybe I'll get some brake pics tomorrow.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              The parts stores used to stock this stuff, now it's all overnight. Who'd a though late model cars like this would ever be old?
              I know! :'(
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Some guys here at work have never seen a drum brake taken apart.... and act like a carburetor is ancient history. :
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  Some guys here at work have never seen a drum brake taken apart.... and act like a carburetor is ancient history. :
                  well, the last one I saw was on an '88 MC SS... when did they stop again? Some guys at work here weren't BORN in 1988.

Comment

There are still vehilces produced with rear drum brakes, they haven't gone the way of the buggy whip yet, and even on some rear disc set ups, the E brake is still a "drum in hat" style, not to mention medium and heavy trucks, and lots of trailers still have drums too.

When the last car was made with a carb, I can't say - after '86 for sure, but not sure exactly.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                      There are still vehilces produced with rear drum brakes, they haven't gone the way of the buggy whip yet, and even on some rear disc set ups, the E brake is still a "drum in hat" style, not to mention medium and heavy trucks, and lots of trailers still have drums too.

When the last car was made with a carb, I can't say - after '86 for sure, but not sure exactly.
                      I can think of the 89 FSJ Jeeps having carbs on the 360's
                      Central TEXAS Sleeper
                      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I got the dart back together, it stops nice and straight, but it has it's typical more-than-you'd-expect pedal travel (about half way to the floor for a normal stop). Stops straight, I guess that's what counts.

14 mpg from that tank of gas.

Janet might drive it to work in the morning.
                        My fabulous web page

Comment

Didn't they have Flintstone brakes from the factory?

Comment

nah, the floors don't rot out here in AZ.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

She drove it to work, and said something about the low speed surge that it has. I overhauled the 9636 Carter a few years ago, it still surged.

I'm thinking I could put that holley on it...got a couple 1850s and a 3310 from a friend recently, all in pieces. One of the 1850s is only a couple years old, I put it back together. I'll see about getting an electric choke for it, and put it on. At least I know how to adjust the holleys.

I also need to work on the car's wiring, it's pretty bad about starting, or maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to need to have some wires wiggled under the dash to get it going sometimes. Like it's not getting ignition while it's cranking. cranks away, then when you let the key go it fires once before it shuts off.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

The acc.pump lever usually has 3 holes for the rod coming from the throttle shaft. You could try putting the rod into the hole closest to the carb for a faster pumpshot.
                                Also check and maybe bend the rod a bit so the acc.pump goes through a large enough travel to provide enough fuel.
                                Maybe the fuel-level in the carb is a bit low aswell. Readjusting the floats a little higher might help aswell.

Not sure if the engine has a single plane intake or not, but if so, this than make Carter carbs cause a little surge going from idle.
                                A 1" (or larger if possible) spacer usually takes care of the surge, giving the carb a better vacuum signal again from the engine.
                                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                                X