No announcement yet.

Janet's 70 Dart Swinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a new speedo cable from a resto place, it works but the speedo still acted up, so we kind of quit driving the car for a few months. I finally got around to trying to fix it. Found an NOS speedo on ebay, two bills....came in the mail with the needle all bent up, wasn't packed quite carefully enough. Seller suggested I just bend the needle back and paint it, which I did, it looks ok. Installing it now...and I'm painting the other needles too. Dang this 40 year old plastic crap is a pain to work on. I'll see what happens, maybe it'll all work, maybe it won't. In the mean time, I'll get several skinned knuckles working on it.

Film at eleven.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

bummer on the packing, that's disappointing. I'm sure you have it looking factory, but it sucks that you had to.

My experience with 40 year old plastic / electronics has not been profitable. I can share this much, which you probably already know. Some forty year old plastics and contact cleaners like CRC iirc don't really get along. Melty. boo.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Well, I got it all back together, and went for a little drive...it makes noise when I get up around 45-50, and the needle jumps up in speed a bit. I guess it's not happy, either bad grease or something got bent when it was damaged in shipping. It's all staked and riveted together, it doesn't unscrew like the old ones.
        My fabulous web page

Comment

Nice Dart!!!

theres one of these sittin behind a garage 3 houses down from me- 69 Cutlass rotting in the garage too
          Local person
          sigpic

Comment

I wiggled the cable, and drove it some more, and it seems to have calmed down. So the speedo is fixed, and I can move on to the next things, like the seats, exhaust, rear gearing, etc.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

The speedocable in my Dart started making scary noises aswell recently. But when I wiggled the cable I felt the outer mantle snap off. So I decided to pull a bit more on the cable so the inner cable came loose aswell. Doesn't make any noises anymore now...
              But now the right rearaxle wheelbearing is making noises instead.
              Guess I'll do an rear end swap tomorrow and releave that mighty 7-1/4" Danawannabee rearend of it's duties.
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I haven't fixed much on this thing lately....I did replace the battery, though. It was 7 years old (walmart special), still working ok but making me nervous. I bought an old gas powered golf cart for $200 a few weeks ago, and it needed a new battery (electric start), and it used the same size the Dart had in it, so I got Janet a new battery, and put the old on in the cart. It's been working fine.

We drove the Dart to Tombstone for a show last weekend, then into town to get some groceries. It was showing about 1/3 tank on teh gas gage, but Janet noticed it didn't move at all on the trip, and it should have dropped down to 1/4 where it always sticks. So we were'nt too sure how much gas it had, but I figured we'd gone less than 200 miles, so we'd be ok. We made it home, no problem. That was Saturday. Yesterday I was going to drive it into town to run some errands, and it wouldn't start. Acts like it's out of gas! I guess that's the next thing I need to fix.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Well, as long you didn't get into a shootout with the Clantons in Tombstone everything else is minor.

My Caprice's goofy sender sticks. It works vertically around the pickup tube. The whole thing is inside what looks like a beer can.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

old thread....old car...but it's still here, and I still get to work on it. I found a new gas gauge sender, and fixed that problem. Now the driver door striker is getting bad, so I'm going to fix that.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Next year's dragweek car?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

...but it's still here, and I still get to work on it...

I know that feeling all too well, except my wife's car isn't that old or American.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Today she drove her Miata. I get to work on that one, too.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            Today she drove her Miata. I get to work on that one, too.
                            My crown of thorns is a '92 Protégé. I never minded working on the Miatas, plenty of room for big ass under the hood, not so much behind the wheel. My left knee and the steering wheel always fought of the same real-estate...made it difficult to shift gears.

Comment

you're supposed to get rid of them when they get old enough to need work.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

I've been trying to for several years but my efforts have failed. It has been getting attention recently and I've noticed it has the cancer. This will be the last time this car gets my attention. After this I will claim the car "unsafe at any speed". ....blame Stiney for that one....

Comment

Working...
                                X