The Pontiac OHC Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Pontiac OHC Six

neat, were the rods and caps stamped with the cylinder number? The rods look like typical chevy rods. The rod bores have normal hone marks from when they were made (although resizing them gets the same type of hone marks again, but the grinding on the parting line would look different)

Nice to see that big crank fits in the block, at least
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Valve train is very similar to a 2.3 ford ie. pinto, turbo t-bird mustang.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

This is such a cool thread.

If only we had one of these for every engine.

Comment

Nice work Randal!

When are you going to try the rod / piston on the 292 crank?

You know we must know!

you could at least see if it's going to take "a little" grinding or "monomental amounts of grinding" to make it work.

if it's "a little" grinding then the temptation to find a piston / rod combination that works will become "monumental".

;D

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
            I think this picture shows why I can't use my rods/pistons, the piston skirt will certainly hit the counter weights on the 292 crank with .6" more stroke :-\

Jim, nothing was stamped, hence why I used a sharpy to write each cylinder number on the piston and cap for the time being. I'll have to look up the 2.3 valve train set up. Kindalas, think it's time I pick up a service manual with this engine in it? :P
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

yea - for sure you'll need to sacrifice a piston - maybe one of the two odd balls... or just take the piston off the rod and see what the crank end of the rod will do as far as interference with the deep skirt block.

If it's going to take major block machining, then also major bucks for custom pistons, as stated earlier - I'd keep it a 250.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

First thing I do when taking apart an engine is to stamp the rods and caps if they're not already, and make sure the mains are stamped or cast with a number.

I forget, is the rod journal size the same? or .1" bigger on the 292?
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Yeah, I need to pick up a set of stamps. I think I've seen them for sale at NAPA.

I don't know about the rod journals, I had heard that the mains were the same, and it appears to be true.

Comment

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Using the handy rockauto resource, looks like the 292 has 2.1" journals, while the 250 OHC has 2.0" journals. bummer
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                      Originally posted by milner351
                      I think this picture shows why I can't use my rods/pistons, the piston skirt will certainly hit the counter weights on the 292 crank with .6" more stroke :-\
                      But the main reason would be because your piston would be 0.30" in the hole at TDC. :D

Just need a 6" rod to put in it, eh?
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

neat project! there is a 69 firebird with one of these locally, very cool engine..

Comment

Super cool build. Someone posted a link to your Buick site thread and then I saw the link to here.

Since I'm a member here, I've subscribed here. Looking forward to more posts.

The OHC-6 has always been an intriguing engine to me.
                          1990 Chevrolet 454SS Pickup - 2 time Power Tour participant (2002 & 2007), Long Hauler in 2007
                          1966 Pontiac GTO Hardtop - 3x2, 4speed fully restored with some mods
                          1996 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab/Short Bed

Comment

Cool deal! Where did you see the Buick link?

Don't ask where I dredged this up, but check out the date stamp on it. Don't loose sight of your goals! haha

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                            I'd like to build a roller lifter and rocker arm Buick 455 with all the bells and whistles. Maybe with a supercharger or turbo.... Multiport Fuel Injecting it is Step one ;)

The other engine I had thought about when I owned a Firebird was an OHC I6, and build it for all the rpm I could get out of it.

Comment

is this a 66 engine? those pistons look like the mess that was in my 66 tempest.. 2 where not the same as the other 4

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                                is this a 66 engine? those pistons look like the mess that was in my 66 tempest.. 2 where not the same as the other 4
                                First post of the thread says the numbers are a '69 block. The same post with the pistons say the numbers on the head confirm it's a '69 head.

Comment

Working...
                                X