The Pontiac OHC Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pontiac OHC Six

Some day this will have a car wrapped around it until then it'll have it's own thread :P

So I bought a new engine stand because I did not trust the three wheeled one I own (on top of Squirrel's concerns too) and unloaded the engine into the carport after work today. The trick was to do it without having to haul the heavy engine hoist up from the basement.

Backed the trailer into the carport.

Some ratchet straps from the carport support beams ;D I wouldn't really trust the straps or beam with a 455, and the straps made me a tad nervous with this thing :-\ Lifted the engine hoist up and bolted it to the engine.

The intake/exhaust side.

The MIGHTY one barrel carb :P

A 1969 4.1L Code. The Date code says December 1968.

The accessory side.

What paint scheme to go with eventually?

The accessory block. Has the Distributor, Oil and Fuel Pumps.

You can see the slots where it bolts up, it's how the timing belt is tightened.

Oil's full, engine turns easily. I think I'll pull the distributor, get a drill and test the oil pressure.

Big Ol' Cam Sprocket.

The Accessory drive sprocket.

Two things stand out to me that make me wonder what I'll find inside. Squirrel had pointed out that there was a paint job done over the original paint (the blue is the wrong blue too) AND the Freeze Plugs are NOT painted, which I find real interesting because it means some care was taken at some point and not a simple rattle can rebuild.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Re: The Pontiac OHC Six

No, it was a rattle can rebuild. If it had been hot tanked the original paint would be gone. It just means that someone changed the freeze plugs after painting it.

So, when will we see how far the 292 crank is from fitting in there? at least it won't interfere with the cam or the oil pump!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hmm. Anyways, it'll likely be after Thanksgiving. I have to change the pinion seal on the Skylark (yup, source of the oil) before going to CA for Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick

The accessory side.

What is that black tube and block near the back of the engine?

Didn't they have a 4 bbl version of this too?
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

looks like the oil filler.

Comment

Awesome. Another inliner. I always thought this would be a cool engine to put into...something. There was a guy with a cherry 67 Lemans Sprint with this OHC six I used see all the time at a local show. Really cool.

It looks alot like the Chevy 230/250 but if I remember correctly there are many small differences. Not sure if the intakes/exhausts interchange?
            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Nice work Randal!

This thread has epic potential - I've never seen one of these and I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be checking back often to see how this inline monster progresses.

Good call on the four wheel engine stand.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

<< still uses a 3 wheeler... ;D

Cool engine!
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I use the 3-wheeler for the V8, I was concerned about the length and height of the L6 on it.

The black tube is the oil filler neck (like an Olds on steroids :D). There was a 4bbl version, it had a high compression head too and some pretty cool cast iron dual exhaust headers. What did we determine Jim, the high output version of this engine made 215Hp and revved around 1000rpm more than the Chevy 250?

Comment

had one in a 66 tempest..
                    ran ok.. the lifter like noise was unnerving
                    you just like engines with oil pumps on the outside..

Comment

I am a fan of distributors, oil filters and oil pumps in the front and easy to access ;D

The lifter rattle sound could be cause by a few things, I know the '66 & '67 didn't have a properly sized oil feed to the lash adjusters, in '68 they fixed it.

Comment

note that these needed valve jobs every 50-60k

good luck.. if you m/s it.. are u ecu'n the spark.. if so. can u axe the dissy and still run the pump

Comment

The distributor still drives the oil pump per the conventional method. Basically the belt drives a shaft that has a cam lobe for the fuel pump and a gear like the distributor drive gear on a camshaft. Then the distributor runs off the gear and the oil pump off the distributor. Didn't re-invent the wheel there :P But short of finding another way to drive the oil pump, the distributor has to stay, even if only to simply distribute spark.

Comment

The distributor still drives the oil pump per the conventional method. Basically the belt drives a shaft that has a cam lobe for the fuel pump and a gear like the distributor drive gear on a camshaft. Then the distributor runs off the gear and the oil pump off the distributor. Didn't re-invent the wheel there :P But short of finding another way to drive the oil pump, the distributor has to stay, even if only to simply distribute spark.
                            Cut the top off, turn it into a cam position sensor that drives the oil pump.

Although, you have wicked clean access to actually MOUNT a cam position sensor.

Distributors?? where Randal's going, they don't need distributors!! (cue Huey Lewis)
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              Cut the top off, turn it into a cam position sensor that drives the oil pump.

Although, you have wicked clean access to actually MOUNT a cam position sensor.

Distributors?? where Randal's going, they don't need distributors!! (cue Huey Lewis)
                              Here ya go Scott! Found this a while back ;D http://www.groupwhere.net/megasquirt/

I believe the guy is using a wheel on the cam sprocket that was a 60-2 wheel, but ground two more teeth off to make it a 60-4 or rather a 30-2 wheel when split in half to make the Megasquirt think it's a crank trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X