The Pontiac OHC Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Pontiac OHC Six

I'd rather use 40 yr old steel rods than most of the stuff you can buy today, but I'm weird.

Fully counterweighted crank: it has a counterweight between each pair of rod/main journals, the other type does not. Reduces the loading on the crank because the stress from each rod is pretty much all contained between the adjacent mains. Most (older?) V8 cranks have no counterweights between the center two rod journals, for example.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think I've missed where you stated your max rpm...What do you intend to peak at?

On the subject of ITBs, think motorcycle. Ton of them real cheap on E-bay.

Comment

Another thought, Randall. I have a set of Badger 283 + 0.030 pistons, new in the box. They're flat tops w/valve reliefs. I'm not going to use them because they're cast and I've decided to spring for forged. I got them from Ebay and they weren't very expensive. Yours for what I paid plus shipping.

Dan

Comment

The OHC engine uses pistons with deeper valve reliefs that are at a different angle than the Chevy, I'm pretty sure. So it probably needs one off pistons.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I wasn't sure how interchangable stuff was between the two engines. If Randall's interested I'll post some pics of the Badgers.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
              Not instead of, in addition to.

I'm wondering about that long belt run between the cam and crank, seems like a ripe area for improvement, maybe a waste of time too...

Hmmm, I'm thinking the belt is pretty good if you could perhaps find one made of today's materials, like the Kevlar belts used on MCs. They're lighter, less mass and more efficient. I think a belt is something like 99% efficient I recall reading years ago. Although 427 SOHC motors had a 6 foot chain.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Made a little progress, in the most dangerous and cold fashion. About six feet out of the carport progress :P Managed to use a couple jacks, a couple jackstands, a rear axle for counter weight a pallet and a wooden mini-deck my boss was throwing out a few years back and I dragged home to build a sled and get it off the engine stand.

Started with strapping a pallet to the bottom for oil pan clearance. Then using jackstands and the axle housing for a counter balance, strapped the sled to the engine and got the jack out to start easing down the engine.

Replaced the jackstands with jacks to start the lowering process.

Just about down. Incredibly enough, once the small jacks were lowered all the way, the whole thing rolled rather effortlessly to the door.

Down to the last jack, rolled it to the door frame.

I love mechanical leverage, I can fairly easily pick up the front of that, kinda like a rick-shaw(sp?).

This is where I called it the night. There was a light breeze and maybe 10*F out.

Tomorrow I'll figure out a game plan on getting it around the corner and what I'm going to do to get it to actually slide down the basement steps.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yikes. Good luck with those stairs. You can get a cheap hoist from HF for $99 or so...
                  1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

I have an engine hoist, but still no way to manuever the stairs with it. I'm thinking a come along tied to the Jeep and letting gravity do the work from there.

Comment

Ok....HF has cheap winches for the jeep....go buy a tool for your bday!
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Man, that's just nasty. I mean the snow!
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

And you all laughed when my dad lowered the 'Stude motor into my basement with the old 8N.

Just kidding of course.

Dude, you're like a modern Henry Knox! He and the Green Mountain boys dragged a bunch of cannon through the snow from NY to Boston and scared them bastid red coats right out of the city. You guys may have both used the same method, a couple hundred years apart!

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Dude, I laughed with jealousy and would kill for that 8N now ;D

Funny I even took a spare length of wooden pole (spare from my POS trailer flag pole), cut it into two pieces to let it roll on. But the ground isn't even enough to work :'(

Comment

dang, I woulda took it apart when it was sitting on the trailer

My fabulous web page

Comment

You freakin rock!!!

And in snow. Wow.

Comment

Working...
                                X