Bamfster's Project "YUKON JACK"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bamfster's Project "YUKON JACK"...

Well as most of you know, I've been looking for another truck/suv/4X4 for a while. The work horse F250 that I had for the majority of 382,000 miles was sold last July on a spur of the moment offer. That truck didn't owe me a dime, but it was starting to act like I DID owe it money. So long old friend, it was real and it was nice, but it was never real nice!....

The F150 Supercrew that I was working a deal on for the past few weeks. It was a $3500 truck tops, the owner seemed to think KBB retail applied. It had 164k on it, never had a tune up (and the guy was bragging about that!) and needed shocks, windshield, and some small interior parts......I passed.

Now for the somewhat sad part of this story. A clean one owner 1969 Camaro was sacrificed for this new project ......

I tossed the Camaro on Craigslist a few weeks ago, a lot of calls, request for more info and a few lookers. The F150 was a guy interested in the Camaro. Thursday I get a call from Marc. He is interested and has a 97 Yukon that was bought brand new by his wife's father. He passed, they kept the Yukon....it's fully loaded and only has 94k on it. I'm interested.

Friday, Marc and his wife Kerri come over to look at the Camaro. She loves it, and it is to be her toy (something about her brother having one, and going off to Vietnam and making her the care taker of it)....They brought the Yukon over. This thing is showroom fresh, plus he shows me a folder 2" thick with service receipts (all done at the dealer). He just put a new set of Michelan LTX M/S tires on it ... had the receipt. Carfax backs up the vehicle history.....

We start talking money,. and they understand the true value as well as the history/sentimentalism of the Camaro. In the end, we come to an agreement where we both feel like we got a good deal. Part of the deal was all of the original useable parts go with the Camaro to preserve it's history.

They have a #s matching Cuda, and a #'s matching 69 SS 396 Chevelle. When I take the parts to their house.....WOW, another twist. As I'm checking out his Chevelle, I mention to my wife, "doesn't this look like Todd's Chevelle"? (Todd is/was a friend of mine from high school. He had a #s matching, SS 396/4 spd Chevelle in dark green. I haven't seen or talked to Todd in 10+ years.) Just then, Marc says "I bought this car from Todd, Todd Neisswinder". Holy crap!!!....Small world.

So....onto the new project:

1997 GMC Yukon, fully loaded with 94,000 miles. All of the service records show all maintenance was done per manufacturer,s recommendation. The original window sticker is in the folder.....It seems her dad bought it to pull his boat back and forth to Grand Lake a few times a year, they kept it for the memories of her father.

Gray leather interior, no squeaks, rattles and everything works. Intake gaskets were replaced and the cooling system flushed last spring, plus it has $1200 worth of tires on it. It'll pull the travel trailer and a car trailer and it's darn near the nicest vehicle that I've ever had as a daily driver. It's the 5.7 Vortec (really wanted a newer LS, but out of my price range) with a 4L60E and 3.73 gears. Factory trans and oil cooler.

The plan for right now is to add some 16X8 weld style wheels, new performance shocks and bigger sway bars. In the near future (springtime or so) throttle body spacer, exhaust and cold air intake. And you knew this was coming.....some computer tuning!

On to the pics:

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Bamfster's Project "YUKON JACK"...

To make sure I'm understanding correctly: You got rid of the Camaro for a Yukon?

At least it went to a good home, from the sounds. Not a bad rig either.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Yea....needed a "truck". I drove the Camaro for the 1st snow of the year and to be honest....it would have been trashed by the end of the year. Kind of a cash grab too ... we had a few unexpected bills pop up and I can't see paying the kind of interest they wanted.

It's not what I really wanted to do with the car, but it did go to a good home.

Plus I'll be able to MS the Chevelle sooner!

Comment

I was wondering why you didn't show up on Saturday! Looks good man, good call letting the camaro go to a home that will keep it from falling apart while you get something to slog through the snow in. Now if I could find someone interested in regular cab long bed 99 Z71 with lots of miles but lots of new parts to trade for a simular suburban plus cash.......
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Dan, that truck looks freaking new!

Good buy! I have to go through the front end of the shitbox Pacifica this weekend and that may be it for that crap wagon. I want to hunt for exactly what you scored.

Good buy and good on you for sending the Camaro to a home that'll treat it the way it needs to be treated!

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I went thru the stack of receipts that I got with it. The previous owner put them in chronological order. Every oil change, tire rotation, etc is in there. He even had the car detailed 3-4 times a year at a place down in Parker! There's a fully transferable warranty and road hazard on the Michelins....lifetime rotate and balance.

It's nice riding in luxury! The wierd thing is, I don't miss the Camaro as much as I thought I would. I'm kinda looking forward to tweaking this thing to make it perform better.

Comment

Put a PowetTrax in the rear end. They are pretty cheap and the install is no sweat. I did it to my '93 Z71 back in the day and it was great in the snow and far more capable off road (I don't see you thrashing the Yukon on the trails, but you'll dig it in the snow).

Brian

Comment

Yea it'll get a P/T....had one in my 94 2 wheel drive. Made it work good in moderate snow storms as long as you stayed on road.

Trails aren't out of the question, just not the type of timber bashin' I did with the F250. I really want to keep this one nice and rattle free.

Comment

I'm thinking these wheels:

Comment

Those wheels are looking good!

Whatcha got in mind for rubber?

Buckshot mudders!!! :D

Comment

Those wheels are nice.....

Make sure you keep a close eye on the water pump.....had one go out on me in the escalade.

Good buy!

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

HATTEEEDDDDD my buckshot's with a passion!!! I'm just itching to put some miles on my Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo II's but the Michellin LTX M/S I replaced the buckshots with were great tires till the wore out.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I was joking about the Buckshots.

I don't think I'd recommend them to an enemy, let alone a friend.

Comment

You've got brand new michelins - the best tires there are - why change them? Change the wheels - keep the tires.

I'm with you on the classic look of those wheels - they just look right on trucks.

I hate to see the camaro gone - but this ride should serve you and the family well for a good long time.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

According to the receipt for the Michelins, they only have about 8k on them. I think the LTX M/S is one of the best all around tires for these type of trucks so yea, wheels only!....

It does need shocks fairly soon, still has OEM on it. I want to upgrade the sway bars too so it doesn't wallow so much on the mountain roads, and maybe a Roadmaster kit (http://www.activesuspension.com/) for the rear. I've put these on a lot of 1/2 tons and they really work nice.

And of course it needs a cold air intake, TB spacer and a high flow cat & muffler.

Comment

Working...
                              X