No announcement yet.

1trickpony--1984 Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just spreading the sickness...I mean addiction...um got to be a better word for it..."boost crack."
    Last edited by Bob Holmes; May 2, 2011, 11:36 AM.
    I'm still learning

Comment

When you start to hear the sound of a turbo whistling in your sleep Jeff, it's time for boost rehab.

All this talk of hunting for a fun daily driver is spreading I think, I just got my wife a new ride (Scion XB,I kinda like it, she LOVES it) so the Saturn that was her ride is now on craigslist in hopes of parlaying it into a clean 94-04 V6 Mustang for a DD.

A Turbo Coupe would be a kick ass DD but, beware if it's an auto trans, they never seemed to work/drive right from a spirited driving stand point.

The ultimate would be to find both a clapped out rusted/wrecked but good running 5spd TC, and an early shortbox 2x4 Ranger with a bad engine/trans, and combined the two for the best of both worlds.I saw one at the Ford Motorsports Nationals at Maple Grove in 1992 done like that with alittle SVO styling mixed in and its haunted me ever since lol.
      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

I had an auto TC it was not fun, I will not buy another auto TC unless I have a line on the t5 swap parts or I am putting the 2.3T in another 5 speed car.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

87 TC 5SP. LEATHER. Have yet to see it but for the price I think I could use/abuse it and wait until a ranger comes up. Plus the "snowflake" rims will work on the mustang. Win/Win
          This one is a couple hours away. I was 5 min too late on a $400 TC 10 min away.
          As much as I hate CL, I love it
          Jeff
          Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
            87 TC 5SP. LEATHER. Have yet to see it but for the price I think I could use/abuse it and wait until a ranger comes up. Plus the "snowflake" rims will work on the mustang. Win/Win
            This one is a couple hours away. I was 5 min too late on a $400 TC 10 min away.
            As much as I hate CL, I love it
            Ha!

CL is the devil... oh but she is quite the tempting mistress. I found a wicked clean '86 Ranger w/ a 302 4 hours away from me. I can hear it calling my name, lol.

Do it, do it, do it.
            Last edited by Darren N.; May 2, 2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13 View Post
              When you start to hear the sound of a turbo whistling in your sleep Jeff, it's time for boost rehab.

All this talk of hunting for a fun daily driver is spreading I think, I just got my wife a new ride (Scion XB,I kinda like it, she LOVES it) so the Saturn that was her ride is now on craigslist in hopes of parlaying it into a clean 94-04 V6 Mustang for a DD.

A Turbo Coupe would be a kick ass DD but, beware if it's an auto trans, they never seemed to work/drive right from a spirited driving stand point.

The ultimate would be to find both a clapped out rusted/wrecked but good running 5spd TC, and an early shortbox 2x4 Ranger with a bad engine/trans, and combined the two for the best of both worlds.I saw one at the Ford Motorsports Nationals at Maple Grove in 1992 done like that with alittle SVO styling mixed in and its haunted me ever since lol.

And I just happen to have an 88 shortbed small cab Ranger...and a crap load of extra turbo engines. Now I've just got to get my kid to let me drop the 2.9 and put in the turbo 4. Of course it rides and corners like a...truck.
              I'm still learning

Comment

Beings that I sold my POS lawn ornament of a truck to fund a new DD, I have been driving this. It has been doing pretty good but little things keep showing there ugly heads. Have taking it to two car shows, only left me on the side of the road once
                Turns out that the ignition lead wire was very, very brittle, and when I was situating some wires so that under hood look respectable I must have broke it just enough to get me to the meeting spot for a cruise and on to the "parade route" and break down on the side of the road in front of about 60 cars
                Any who recently have noticed a tick that progressively has gotten worse. Been keeping an eye on oil consumption I have noticed that I am using quite a bit more oil than normal
                So I guess I need to get something bought here pretty quick so I can park the mustang and start looking into this issue in depth.
                I am pretty sure the heads need redone, but I am starting to wonder as well if the rings decided to go south
                Not much of an update I know but haven't had much time this summer for "productive improvements"
                Jeff
                Follow My Build

Comment

my '90 had mac spaghetti tube shorties and an appetite for header gaskets. It sounded just like a valve when they first started leaking and got progressively louder. fwiw.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have finally started on my efi conversion. We pulled the oil pan today on the 87 motor and everything looks good. original spark plugs and you can still see the hatch marks. It turns over freely after we got the kearnels of corn out of one the cylinders. I guess it must have ran on RAW ethanol.

Last edited by 1trickpony; November 12, 2011, 09:11 PM.
                    Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

I worked on the ole mustang for a couple hours yesterday and got the engine bay all degreased and washed up. The plan is to start sorting the old loom on new years eve and get ready for the new loom.
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

I haven't been the best at updating this but going to catch everyone up. As of today, I have old motor out, new motor painted and new gaskets, Engine bay is hit with por15.
                        I have the new clutch waiting to go on the motor just waiting on getting the flywheel back.
                        We started looking at the wiring harnesses and it really seems like a lot of work. I mean REALLY. I have put a post out on other forums to see if anyone has done this before and could point me in the right direction as far as what stays and what goes. Just havent had much luck. So I guess we are going to have to put some time in and get it done.

Hopefully the motor will be in the car by the garage tour we have coming up. I have a pretty good feeling that when we get the motor in everything will start falling into place. Also hoping the exhaust that was cobbled on the car will work until I can buy an aftermarket setup.
                        Still making progress, just slowly.

Teaser::
                        Last edited by 1trickpony; February 2, 2012, 09:47 AM. Reason: forgot 1 picture
                        Jeff
                        Follow My Build

Comment

Small update: Clutch is in, Motor is in, Started on the wiring, Have the wiring mostly figured out as far a s what I need to do. Small hickup, Dad broke the Heater core while trying to hook up the hoses. So the dash is out and heater core replaced, just waiting to get back over there to get the dash buttoned up.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

Heater core? Who needs a heater? haha
                            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Well I am trying to plan the next step which is fuel. From what I gather I need a 87+ tank a 87+ pump and carrier and an 83-86 cfo/efi sending unit. Oh and lines. I am probably going to order a repop tank. And hopefully find a everything I need used and new pump. Unless any one has one on the shelf. This should get me back on the road.

Also wanting to go sn95 5 lug and spindles and elec fan this summer.
                              Jeff
                              Follow My Build

Comment

If you were only closer....... we could probably trade and both be happier. Sounds like I have exactly what you are looking for, and I have to modify it all for my purposes anyways.....
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X