Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1trickpony--1984 Mustang

Nice score!!
    Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

I'm back

;D
      All the snow is gone. Fresh gas, bath, and wax.
      Decided to take some different pictures. Got tired of looking at the old ones so here are a couple.

Jeff
      Follow My Build

Comment

Plan on working on it this weekend.
        I need to:
        Fit passenger side tailpipe. (move a brake line)
        Starter
        Oil change
        Plugs
        Wires
        Cap and rotor
        Set the timing ( the right way : )

My dad's friends are going to be coming over and help me with the carburetor. Most likely will get rebuilt.

More pics to come this weekend.
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

Looks great! Wish I could find time to work on mine!!!
          Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
          1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
          1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
          1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
          1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
          1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I just received my new to me heater/A/C control switch today and just got done installing it. We have heat people!!
            I need to take it back out and figure out why it is just blowing out of the defroster. I believe that one of the connectors have a broken locking tab and I am not getting a good connection. But I at least have heat and 4 fan speed settings.

Also need to add a thermostat to the parts list for the weekend. Seems to be sticky.
            Also need to look into a RR brake hanging up. At least that's what it sounds like.
            Its nice getting some of the basic stuff working correctly. Makes the drive more enjoyable.

Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

I got quite a bit done today. not everything I wanted to, but happy with today's results...
              Here are some pics for your viewing pleasures.

I had one plug that looked bad but the plug wire was not tight so I think it wasn't fireing 100%

I had some extra window tint left over so I threw it on there to see if I liked it. Guess what, I like it. ;D

The wiring was really bad for the CD player. There was telephone wire and all hacked together. Its mostly straightened out now just needs some tiding up.

New cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. Still need to get it tidy, but its a start.

Also a new starter but no pics. Thats all for now.

Jeff
              Follow My Build

Comment

Yea, this is going to be a long project. Over time it will keep getting better (knocks on wood). I enjoy turning wrenches, dropping starters on my hand, and the typical shade tree mechanic type stuff. Still learning too, so that is part of the fun.
                Jeff
                Follow My Build

Comment

> Well I figured out why my defroster/vent wasn't switching from anything other than defroster. Turns out that while cutting wires for the radio, the PO decided to straight up CUT the vaccum lines. HE CUT THEM! As a matter of fact he cut them 1/8" from the "clip" where it plugs into the vaccum pump. So I think he was actually holding the vaccum pump he cut them and said to himself "There, fixed it"

Well lucikly I have another vaccum line to go from the back of the switch to the pump. But it is 100 miles away.
                  So it will have to wait until I come back to Dad's shop.

All is well, just need to look at things to make sure everything else isn't cut.
                  Jeff
                  Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony
                    > Well I figured out why my defroster/vent wasn't switching from anything other than defroster. Turns out that while cutting wires for the radio, the PO decided to straight up CUT the vaccum lines. HE CUT THEM! As a matter of fact he cut them 1/8" from the "clip" where it plugs into the vaccum pump. So I think he was actually holding the vaccum pump he cut them and said to himself "There, fixed it"

Well lucikly I have another vaccum line to go from the back of the switch to the pump. But it is 100 miles away.
                    So it will have to wait until I come back to Dad's shop.

All is well, just need to look at things to make sure everything else isn't cut.
                    Ahhhh yes, previous owners. Thank god I've never been one of THOSE ;)
                    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

I guess I was just venting. I used to be that guy that would cut radio wires and such. I have learned that its easier to do things the right way no matter how long it takes. The vacuum lines really isn't that big of deal beings I have a replacement set. I have found out that they do make quite a bit of aftermarket parts for fox bodies, BUT when it comes to stock stuff its either hard to find or treated like gold. ;D

Hope fully my next progress report is mounting a set of pony rims up to figure out what I wanna do. Also plan on finishing up the dash stuff for now, put both door panels on, and figure where I am going next.

I plan on putting aluminum radiator and electric fan on it, and might go looking for those.

Still haven't figured out the passenger side exhaust and the brake line situation yet. I am thinking the brake line will have to be moved just haven't put a plan in motion yet.
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

There's not a real good fix for the brake line problem other than updating to the later model (8.8) brake line routing.

Might get away with using a longer hose, I don't know.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Yea, tell me about it. I cant even get the tailpipe up around the axle without a.) disconecting the soft line b.)unbolting the shock or c.) all of the above :
                          From what I have read you can swap over to the 8)8.8 stuff or move the soft line and the junction block(? or T) I think I will try the Junction block or T approach I think that will be easiest for what I want to accomplish. I think if I shorten one side re-install T and lengthen passenger side hard line. And move the soft line mounting bracket everything should work.
                          That should move the soft line away from the tail pipe.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

Not much of an update, but I just got a free set of factory headers off of an '85.(Thanks to a member of FEP) The heat tube is cracked on one of them, and beings I am not using any of that setup. I plan on getting rid of that setup and sand blasting them, then probably spray with some high temp stuff.

Also going to pick up a set of pony rims on Friday that I got for a smoking deal. They are 15" but I think they will work for what I want. They will need a repaint or polished but I am still undecided.

I plan on making the trek back to Mom and Dad's and get some work done this weekend. Hopefully can get some of the big stuff of the list so I can have my car back with this nice weather we have been having.

Stay tuned for a weekend update.
                            Jeff
                            Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony
                              Also going to pick up a set of pony rims on Friday that I got for a smoking deal. They are 15" but I think they will work for what I want. They will need a repaint or polished but I am still undecided.
                              pony wheels like on my car are 16"

but they'll be a huge improvement over the centerlines ;)

Comment

I am paying more in gas than I am for the rims and tires. I have 14" wheels on there now, and I think 15" will be an improvement. Just looking for something that fills the wheel wells a little better.
                                I have been keeping my eye out for 16" pony wheels and most are either trashed or they want a whole lot more than I want to pay.

I am thinking a darker color wheel will look pretty good with my "desert tan" : paint. I might paint them gunmetal or something similar with a silver lip. Still just a thought right now so...
                                Jeff
                                Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X