X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1trickpony--1984 Mustang

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
    Originally posted by 1trickpony
    Also going to pick up a set of pony rims on Friday that I got for a smoking deal. They are 15" but I think they will work for what I want. They will need a repaint or polished but I am still undecided.
    pony wheels like on my car are 16"

but they'll be a huge improvement over the centerlines ;)

4 lug 16" sounds correct - does the seller say they are ponies or 15" ? I'm a bit confused, they won't be both. Either way, keep an eye on the front for rub. iirc, they made the wheel wells bigger (longer) in 91 or whenever they went to those over the 15's cuz they would rub. I think they changed the rack stops a bit to reduce total travel for the same reason.

Gunmetal is hard to go wrong with, I'm partial to it. I almost wonder what would happen if you put some accent on the tan sometimes. Maybe the middle of the rub rails / bumpers and maybe the sail panels in the same color as the wheels to break up the monotone? One of the photoshop boys or girls here might be able to try that out for you. My kid has a thing for the machined lip look on dark wheels... it will be interesting to see. I'm burned out on chromed / polished super bright wheels any more courtesy of the local "gangsta" contingent. I just see it too much.

Looks good though - I like it for not being another black mustang (no offense to the black mustang owners, I have one too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick
      I like it for not being another black mustang (no offense to the black mustang owners, I have one too.)
      HEY!!!!!!!

(No offense taken) :>}

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick
        Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
        Also going to pick up a set of pony rims on Friday that I got for a smoking deal. They are 15" but I think they will work for what I want. They will need a repaint or polished but I am still undecided.
        pony wheels like on my car are 16"

but they'll be a huge improvement over the centerlines ;)

4 lug 16" sounds correct - does the seller say they are ponies or 15" ? I'm a bit confused, they won't be both. Either way, keep an eye on the front for rub. iirc, they made the wheel wells bigger (longer) in 91 or whenever they went to those over the 15's cuz they would rub. I think they changed the rack stops a bit to reduce total travel for the same reason.

Gunmetal is hard to go wrong with, I'm partial to it. I almost wonder what would happen if you put some accent on the tan sometimes. Maybe the middle of the rub rails / bumpers and maybe the sail panels in the same color as the wheels to break up the monotone? One of the photoshop boys or girls here might be able to try that out for you. My kid has a thing for the machined lip look on dark wheels... it will be interesting to see. I'm burned out on chromed / polished super bright wheels any more courtesy of the local "gangsta" contingent. I just see it too much.

Looks good though - I like it for not being another black mustang (no offense to the black mustang owners, I have one too.)
        hopefully mine will be reef blue someday

but i think it would look good if you painted the headlight buckets, grill, door molding and window molding all satin black

Comment

They are 15" aftermarket ponies. They aren't the real deal wheels off of the later GT's. I will have to look at the email but they are 7" wide and he said the rears are 265/50/15. Might be too wide on the 7" wheel we will see.

As far as breaking up the monotone(ness ;D) I am planing on painting the headlight buckets, sail panel, T-top trim, and the window trim flat black( or something close to OEM) I would like to repaint the hood stripe as well. It has a ton of fine line scratches and the rattle can black paint job looks good, it just shows bad.

We will see how much will get done and how soon. My wife just went full on "we are having a kid and you think you need to buy rims?" mode. Yes I know we are having a kid, that's why I am buying everything now cheap so I can have parts to work on it later.

She did not like my answer. ;D

Jeff
          Follow My Build

Comment

Jeff, you're strategy is sound. But, never tell the wife!!!

Comment

I got alot done today starting with the vacuum lines for the defroster/vents. I got the dash all put back together for now, and I made a plate for the cd player. One of my dads friends stopped by and was looking of my car. He noticed it was cable driven choke and mentioned electric choke. I told him that I wanted one and he said hold on Ill be right back. Well he came back with a clean (rebuilt?) holley 80457 carb with electric choke. Well I got it bolted down and seems to run better with this carb. It seems like it has a dead spot sometimes if you getting into the secondaries fast. Also seems like it needs a return spring as it doesnt like to idle down.

I know absolutly nothing about carbs so hopefully some one can chime in here and give me some pointers. Also have yet to have a timing light on it yet, hoping for tomorrow.
              Jeff
              Follow My Build

Comment

Progress.......stay after it

Running down vacuum lines is
                worse than electrical
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

They are 15" aftermarket ponies. They aren't the real deal wheels off of the later GT's. I will have to look at the email but they are 7" wide and he said the rears are 265/50/15. Might be too wide on the 7" wheel we will see.

As far as breaking up the monotone(ness ;D) I am planing on painting the headlight buckets, sail panel, T-top trim, and the window trim flat black( or something close to OEM) I would like to repaint the hood stripe as well. It has a ton of fine line scratches and the rattle can black paint job looks good, it just shows bad.

We will see how much will get done and how soon. My wife just went full on "we are having a kid and you think you need to buy rims?" mode. Yes I know we are having a kid, that's why I am buying everything now cheap so I can have parts to work on it later.

She did not like my answer. ;D

i dont know of any aftermarket 15" pony wheels either, got any pics of the wheels youre buying? or ones like them? and you should be all set with 265's. my car has 255's on a 16x7 wheel

Comment

You, know when you take pictures of what you did the night before, it looks like you didn't spend all day turning wrenches :D

Its all buttoned back up. For now.
                    I finally got the passenger door panel back on. I need to take off the driverside, and finish that side up.

This is the "new" to me carb. From what I have read it is a 600. Judging by the seat of the pants dyno, it is a worthwhile improvement.

This is the old carb. Electric choke is a good thing.

Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

We also worked on dad's 47. Finished mocking up the aluminum radiator and ac condensor. Then he decided to show off a little with his new valve covers.

All in all it was a good day. Still some things to finish up this morning before I head back home. More than likely going to bring the mustang back home so I can work on it. There is also a Mustang Club meeting on the 22nd that I am thinking of joining.
                      The only snag I had was a warning ticket. I was out doing a shake down after everything I did, and the police officer I was following flipped a u-turn and then another u-turn to pull me over.
                      Officer-"Do you know why I stopped you?"
                      Me-"haha NO"
                      Well he must have not been busy and thought that I needed to know the license plate was not mounted on the bumper rather than where it was on the dash. So I drilled holes and mounted it on my bumper. :'(
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

It looks like I hit a brick wall with the exhaust. Some of you may know that in 1984 it had a y pipe and single exhaust that exited on the driver side. Well a PO installed dual exhaust and eliminated the Y pipe. They ran 2 pipes where there is only room really for one (they didn't change cross members).
                        Well my drivers side mounted perfectly, and the passenger side has been a PITA.

For starters, the pass. side muffler looks to welded about 1 1/2" to 2" further back than the driver side. Wouldn't be a problem if I wanted dumps. But I have a pre-bent tailpipe that simply won't work period. If I cut it to fit in there it would be sloppy at best.

So I am going to have to call around to see who can quote me a good price to either, remount the muffler to use the existing tailpipe I have, or bend me another tailpipe.
                        If I go with another a different tailpipe I might as well have 2 matching tailpipes.
                        UGHHH : But as my dad told me, Its the price of having fun!
                        Jeff
                        Follow My Build

Comment

Small update....
                          I got an appt. with the muffler shop to figure something out with my passenger tailpipe. I trust them to do a good job, because they have a chevelle and a camaro on the rack when I went in there. Most of the local guys go to them for work so we will see.

Also my interior is like a science lab right now with all the different chemicals, and coffee grounds all over. Trying to get rid of the "mothball smell". I wasn't too concerned with it at first but the warmer it gets the worse it smells! And I have read that that stuff isn't good for you to breath in. Hopefully I can get it all out.

That's all for now.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

Test

Just a photoshop I had on my computer.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 1trickpony; April 14, 2011, 07:32 PM.
                            Jeff
                            Follow My Build

Comment

Get some Arm & Hammer carpet fresh, sprinkle it liberally about the carpeting, let it sit for an hour and then vacuum it up.

Really helped in my mice bordello interior on the Black SVO.

Bob
                              I'm still learning

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
                                Get some Arm & Hammer carpet fresh, sprinkle it liberally about the carpeting, let it sit for an hour and then vacuum it up.

Really helped in my mice bordello interior on the Black SVO.

Bob
                                Thanks Bob,
                                So far the coffee grounds have it pretty under control as far as sticking my head in and smelling. The plan is to vacuum every thing up today then hit it w/ baking soda, vacuum, then probably some carpet cleaner of some sort.
                                Jeff
                                Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X