No announcement yet.

1trickpony--1984 Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How's the saying go? A bad day in the shop is better than a good day at work?
    Well here's the starting point of the heater core re-install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	861367

Name:	030.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	861368
    Hopefully around beer:30 I have completed this TEADOUS TASK!!
    And hoping to have new seats as well.

edit: just realized that, those iphone camera pictures are downright horrible. Ha dumb smartphone any way.
    Last edited by 1trickpony; April 7, 2012, 09:33 AM.
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Comment

OH LORD....

Best of luck. You'll probably look like you've had a fight with a badger by the time you're done.
      I'm still learning

Comment

Ha Ha. well I didn't get attacked by a badger. Going in was ALOT easier then out. I also removed the seat so it made it alot easier. (I think) Heater Core in and Dash is in. We went to our local pull-a-part and scored power Driver, passenger, and rear seats. Also scored a fuel pump carrier.

Everyone I have asked said that I couldn't just drop in a later fuel pump carrier. They say it won't work. Well my Dad's Friend (I believe Master Ford Mechanic) says the gasket is the same for 84 to 86+. So, we think we can use the new carrier and utilize the fuel lines. If that all works out, I saved $300. If the lines wont work thats $159 new. I really hope it will work.

Some pictures after church(maybe)
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

oh i do not look forward to replacing the heater in my 97 grand prix

step one is remove dash. so i am going to swap in my black dash at this time to replace the busted up tan one that is sun arped form being a southern car.
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Fox heater core - my next one looks like this:

Name:	image_14708.jpg
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	861394

I'm not sure I"m following you on the tank thing, are you talking about the drop-in for th tank?
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Correct. What I am trying to describe is for the lack of better terms the drop in thingy " carrier, cage?? " for the fuel pump. We think it will work just not 100 percent sure. I asked on other forums about using a efi drop in pump in my tank and everyone said no cant be done. But I have a ford mechanic friend saying the gaskets are physically the same. So we believe that the drop in pump carrier should work in my 84 tank. We also believe we can get the fuel lines currently on the car to work. The only major problem is the fuel line supply to the motor is physically on the wrong side. But with all that said if, when we dig more into this and it's too much of a hack job and a safety issue. We will abort.
              Jeff
              Follow My Build

Comment

I'm thinking on the Foxes that there is some baffling around the pickup area of the EFI tank that wouldn't be present in a tank for a carb car ... so you might run in to starvation issues at lower fuel levels. Maybe check out the classifieds on the Mustang forums to try find a decent EFI tank out of a car being parted locally?

cheers
                Ed
                Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  Fox heater core - my next one looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10296[/ATTACH]

I'm not sure I"m following you on the tank thing, are you talking about the drop-in for th tank?
                  I had a couple heaters that looked alot like that (mine were all black and did not have a light) Don't know if it was the extended time I was asking them to work 2-3 hours or the crappy wiring in my 89 but they had a very short life span before they stop producing heat. Either fix the core or drive something else with heat, I normally go with plan B
                  Last edited by Russell; April 9, 2012, 07:43 AM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Well, there isn't much I can do now for a couple weeks beings the car is so far away.
                    I have been trying to get as much figured out for the seats as I can so when I get a chance to work on it, I should have a good idea of what to do.
                    Here is what I have so far...
                    My new seats were out of a 97 mustang. The fronts are pretty straight forward. Driver side is taller by about 1 1/2" to 2". But, with the power seat I can lower it down and everything is ok.
                    Hopefully, my car has the power lumbar under the carpet. That would make wiring the d/s that much easier.
                    Here is a picture of someone else's seat wired up.

Name:	PowerSeatJumper.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	861416
                    Now on to the back.
                    The 97 seat is a split seat. Just like the 84.
                    I still haven't got how im going to mount the top part yet but if I remember right you recover the 84 with the 97 seat cover. ***I think****
                    But for the bottom, I am going to use the following approach rather than cut out a sn-95 rear seat bulk head. Just too much work.
                    First you need a 2x6 cut diagonally for your mounting base.

Name:	rearseat004.jpg
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	861417
                    Then you attach it with L brackets. ( I would like to think of a better way possibly to do this.)

Name:	rearseat006.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	861418

Name:	rearseat007.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	861419
                    Then you want to locate your mounting holes for the bottom part of the seat.
                    when you pull the mustang seats out of the donor car, grab those little white clips!!!
                    They help hold the seat in postition.

Name:	rearseat005.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	861420

Name:	rearseat008.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	861421
                    Then you just make sure everything is good to go and there you have it.

Name:	rearseat001.jpg
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	861423

Name:	untitled.jpg
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	861422
                    They say that fox body carpet, there is enough to go up and over the bulk head and you can't even notice.
                    Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

• That looks great, hope yours goes just as well! Is there some trick to getting the 97 back seat bottom out? The one on my 98 project car did not want to come out.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

• The only thing I did was under earth the seat there are the two white clips to hold it down. There are little release buttons on there. I pushed them in and pulled up if iirc.
                        Jeff
                        Follow My Build

Comment

• Just putting this in here before I forget.
                          On the upper back seats, you remove the seat cover from sn-95 seats (zipper on bottom, pull cover off) and then remove the seat cover from the 84 seat(cut??)
                          The new seat cover goes on the old seat cushion.

I am not a 100% sure yet but I believe you have to take a little bit out of the new seats to get them to look right. Also, the back area around the latch needs a little work.

I plan on documenting my progress on this, because this is a great bang for the buck thing you can do to "up-date" your car.

I bought tan cloth seats, but I was looking and you can get new seat skins for $299(vinyl) and $599 (leather)
                          Last edited by 1trickpony; April 10, 2012, 10:11 AM.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

• Great job. I like those bang for buck upgrades.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by beagle View Post
                              fox heater core - my next one looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10296[/ATTACH]
                              lmao
                              I'm still learning

Comment

• Good news, bad news. Bad news is, I need to order a new tank. The fuel pump will w0ork in the old tank, but there is no level sender boss in the tank. Although we thought about just running it without a gauge for a year, we decided that while the fuel tank is out, we might as well spend the money on a new "right" tank. Its been said that 87 + mustang senders won't work with the older ones. So we got a solution. The old sender is the same gasket size as the neew one. So, we are going to "tweak" the 84 sender to work in the new tank.

Good news...
                                Gas tank is out, we have a plan in motion to get it finished. Started working on exhaust, have a plan to get it ready for install. Started working on wiring. So far we have the TFI wires lengthened, soldered, and wrapped. Also, Started figuring out what is what and have started splicing them in. Although the amount of wires, (2 wire harnesses unwrapped) is a lot to take in. We are making headway that is for sure.

Stay tuned.
                                Jeff
                                Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                                X