1trickpony--1984 Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this help?

I've been fighting my brake light switch. Weirdo Ford design for a switch if you ask me.....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Sorry I am no help on this one. And my 89 LX is at my Dad's so I can not go look. I will at thanksgiving if you need me to.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Stiney for the win!! There is a metal frame that bolts up to the switch and mine is twisted like a pretzel. I also believe that the plastic is broke so I can't mount it to that metal frame. Hopefully I can get to the yard before Thanksgiving and there is a foot of snow on the ground.
        Also forgot to mention that my injector problem was due to them being stuck. I think Dieselgeek mentioned something about that and I forgot all about it while trouble shooting. I have 7 spare 19lbs. injectors that I need to figure out if they are stuck as well before I put them in my spare parts stash.
        Last edited by 1trickpony; November 12, 2012, 02:10 PM.
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

• So do you need a new set of pedals and clutch switch? Was it an auto before?
          Last edited by Russell; November 12, 2012, 03:29 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• No it's always been a 5 speed. Just for whatever reason during the engine swap it decided to self destruct.
            Dad just called and said he ran injector cleaner through it and it runs very smooth now. Also there is a new to me aluminum radiator in the shop due to the old one springing a leak.
            Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

• So how hard would you say this swap has been?

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Russell-I think the swap is pretty straight forward. Most everything is there so you can put the guts of an 86+ up. The hardest part is wiring. Marring the two years together was easy, just finding what is what is hard. I think If I do it again it will be easier and pretty straight forward.

Update time: I've been pretty busy with work and my side business so have only been getting back over to dads every once in awhile. BUT
                As of yesterday we had 90 miles on it. The motor runs great and is strong! We are still fighting what we believe is injector issues and are just gonna run a couple tanks of fuel through it and hope for the best.

It also starts hard sometimes, cranks longer than we think it should before it pops off. The plan is to get a timing light on it and double check intial timing to see where its at(never removed distributor, just wanted to make sure the motor ran where it was). Also running a little trans fluid through the tank to try and clean the injectors. I don't know if it has one stuck open and putting air in the system or what.

We put new headlights in, installed 2 relays and re-pinned the harness for new H4 and they are BRIGHT!
                Need to button the interior back together. Find, Hack, And weld some sort of hidden hitch so I can pull a trailer(Think mobile diaper bag. I have a wife and a 16 month old so trunk space is limited.)
                Its getting close to the dead line, and I am ready for my road trip to colorado at the end of April to be here so just need to keep progressing.
                I plan on going back over everything I did that might not have made it on here when the car comes back home.
                My son Thinks it sounds AWESOME!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	866996
                And required picture to get me out of the Pro-Jackstand class.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	866997
                Jeff
                Follow My Build

Comment

• fabulous!

Don't forget to pull the "spout connector" in the line to the distributor to give you control of the timing while you're setting it.

10 BTDC is factory - I had good luck with top end modifications up to about 14 initial before spark knock - but that was with trick flow heads.

ENOY IT! 16 month old looks ready to start driving Dad!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Yeah, he was ready to yank the gears there, Dad. Great job.
                    I'm still learning

Comment

• He was just keeping an eye on the temp.
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

• Time is flying by and I am getting a lot done but no real time to update. We have been working on a hidden hitch and bleeding brakes. Hope that's finished today. We went to world of wheels in Omaha and on the way home my uncle donated a 5 lug rear and front plus wheels. So I spent a couple hours yesterday on that. Currently putting the interior back together so it's more live able. Only 19 more days before our Colorado trip. I suppose we better get on dads body man. Kinda need his 47 painted by then.
                        Jeff
                        Follow My Build

Comment

• It's been awhile since I updated. Not sure how many followers I have still but here's the update. The car was ready to go too Denver but we started having charging issues. So we decided to leave it home. Got back from Denver and took a step back and it was just a simple wiring issue to the alternator. Since getting that fixed I have put on about 6000 miles with no real issues.
                          Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I started having starter problems. I ate a starter up and put a new one in with no real fix. We were going to Omaha for geezer gassers/bachelor party. We made an executive decision that the mustang was going hell or high water. The trip went ok but I did have to swallow my pride and get a push a couple times. Car never got hot in the hot weather we had.
                          Over a couple glasses of moonshine we decided that the trans needs to be dropped and just pony up a new flywheel. So this winter along with the five lug swap we will be doing that. Stay tuned.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

• Thanks for the update.
                            I'm still learning

Comment

• not many folks post an update (other than Squirrel) that the car is running fine and you've been driving the snot out of it. I think Squirrel does it to antagonize us when we get too whiney.

Good to hear it made some miles and the pride messin with ya only hurts until the engine goes vroom. Sounds like a good time for a flywheel. The weather is getting right for that kind of thing.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• I subscribe! Are you still glad you did the EFI swap? Any track numbers?

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X