No announcement yet.

1trickpony--1984 Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I am 100% happy I did the swap. I am actually planning another 5.0 swap in a little bigger car. Details need finalized yet but should be fun. As far as track numbers, we were at the strip bsing and boozing and the promoter was over thanking us for coming down. He mentioned he could make a whole class just for us. Well he did and called it the stag drags. I made the decision that I was having enough problems starting the car that I didn't need to break it more. Dad was on the same boat. He blew a trans line on the way down. As soon as we got home we both said we shoulda ran em. We had people 2 hours away with trailers looking for an excuse to come down. Might have been able to go a round or two. Oh well.

I think the only thing I would change would be mass air. The speed density works great but I think it would run better. I guess I don't know. The car doesn't run hot with the mechanical fan and shroud but you know the car is hot. I can go from 55 down to a stop sign when hot and it seems it doesn't want to idle. Could be low grade fuel in 90 degree weather or it could be me engine breaking while I slow down. I don't know.

One thing I do know is my wife loves the driveabilty of the swap. The only thing that we both agree I. Is the a/c needs charged.
    Last edited by 1trickpony; September 6, 2013, 01:50 PM.
    Jeff
    Follow My Build

Comment

• Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
      It's been awhile since I updated. Not sure how many followers I have still but here's the update. The car was ready to go too Denver but we started having charging issues. So we decided to leave it home. Got back from Denver and took a step back and it was just a simple wiring issue to the alternator. Since getting that fixed I have put on about 6000 miles with no real issues.
      Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I started having starter problems. I ate a starter up and put a new one in with no real fix. We were going to Omaha for geezer gassers/bachelor party. We made an executive decision that the mustang was going hell or high water. The trip went ok but I did have to swallow my pride and get a push a couple times. Car never got hot in the hot weather we had.
      Over a couple glasses of moonshine we decided that the trans needs to be dropped and just pony up a new flywheel. So this winter along with the five lug swap we will be doing that. Stay tuned.
      I was driving back to LA from Sacto one summer. I stopped at the truckstop a 1/2 hr into the trip. Starter croaked. I tried to push it out of the way and got some help immediately and I clutch started it. Being Sunday afternoon and I-5 is hell and gone from towns and parts stores; I just decided to drive it. Got two more push starts and stopped twice where the car was pointing down hill twice.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Das not good update. The car has been getting harder to shift as of late and yesterday it started to growl. I topped the trans off whith ATF and went around the block. Well it didn't want to go in second so I parked it. This morning I noticed it pissed out all of the fluid so I backed it out of my garage and jacked it up. Looks like it's leaking between trans and bell housing. I hope it didn't get windowed somewhere. Hope fully it's an input shaft bearing and I can rebuild it. I don't have $1600 for a new t5.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	872794

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	872795
        Last edited by 1trickpony; October 9, 2013, 09:25 AM.
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

• Bummer, I have my fingers crossed for you an over haul will fix it. Craigslist can be your friend I picked up a T5 for $400 with all the stuff to swap it over. So unless you are in a hurry, I am not sure I would buy new.

T5 trans 4cyl $150
          http://rmn.craigslist.org/pts/4076537233.html Might not be a good idea long term, but change the TOB and you back on the road.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• I am trying to remember who on here rebuilt one. I think they got a DVD from Hanlon and did it. I think it could probably be rebuilt. The first thing I did was check cl. I saw the 4 cylinder one and others. I'm gonna check the yards first and see if I can get one. Wasn't planing on this for the winter tho
            Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

• I think Bob Holmes (or one of his buddies) can rebuild one in their sleep. When checking the yards dont forget about the 94+ V6 T5.

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Page 17 of this manual (marked 3-6) - there's a seal behind the input housing, and if it's leaking, I'd suspect the input bearing / race might have crapped out. They aren't all that tough to do. I got a good used Tremec 3550 with a scattershield and shifter for 800, I wouldn't put 1500 into a T5 that wasn't a GForce unit or cryo treated everything.

Last edited by Beagle; October 9, 2013, 02:20 PM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Pretty sure its the same thinghttp://www.tremec.com/literatura.php I have heard good things about the video.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Test
                    Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

• Well it's been a while since I updated but we spent the weekend at mom and dads so I got some wrench time(much needed) in. This winter we swapped a donor 95 gt suspension front and rear under the car. We tried getting by with cut springs but they were simply too much. So this weekend I put the stockers back in. We also swapped the trans out of same car in and everything seems good. The car runs pretty good. To make everything work we had to get creative but everything bolted in. It steers a lot tighter due to a smaller p/s restricter in the hose and it seems to work ok. Brakes are good but I am worried that they are a little stuff to push. Might have to switch master cylinder not quite sure yet.
                      Jeff
                      Follow My Build

Comment

• Sorry for the triple posts but not used to the new system yet. Things are still a little hectic up at out new place in Minnesota but I'm hoping they will settle down. Talking to the head doctor this week to get back on track and hoping my wife will let me start looking for work in the next month( her new job is good but it has the possibility of getting crazy) I would like the mustang up here to keep working on it but without a license it really doesn't make sense just yet. I think the next steps will probably be body work and interior. It's time for it to be a nice car. This was with the cut springs.
                        Jeff
                        Follow My Build

Comment

• Looks great. You've made some real progress.
                          I'm still learning

Comment

• Small update. It's been a long time coming but I finally got to drive the car after we put the new trans in and I really really miss driving this car. It's been almost a year and a half.
                            Jeff
                            Follow My Build

Comment

• It seems to be running good, but every once in a while it seems to miss but clears itself up. I ordered a code reader so I can see what's going on because I have never checked any of the codes since the swap.
                              Also something wierd, when I start the car I hear my fuel tank pop(think like oil canning) and I drive the car and shut it of and the fuel tank will again pop again once or twice. Kind of like a pop can. Hard to explain. But I believe it's pressurized. I need to double check because we bypassed the charcoal canister system for the evap system. And also need to check the vent tube in the tank to see what's going on. I am going to take it around the block with the cap off and see if that helps.

Man time flys.
                              Jeff
                              Follow My Build

Comment

• has he asked for the keys yet???
                                Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Working...
                                X